Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Default Tech support is now $80? Great...

Well, this may be the last straw for me. As some of you may know, I've been struggling with getting my PTHD (PCI) rig up and running on a Magma Chassis (PE6R4) for the past TWO months. I've had everything replaced but the cards. I've PAID for Avid's tech support. And now, I have to pay $80 for the privilege of WAITING on the line for someone to pick up. Awesome!

Look, I understand that Avid needs to make money. I do. But if I'm paying $80, someone better pick up the phone. Immediately. I really don't care if everyone is busy. If Avid is going to charge me $80 for a ONE TIME call, someone better get on their horse and help me out.

Also, why should I have to pay twice? I've already paid for tech support, and Avid couldn't resolve my issue. So, I went ahead (according to Avid's recommendation) and replaced my entire Magma Chassis (cards, cables... everything). I've re-installed all software, etc. too. Multiple times. In short, I've done everything that has been asked of me, and I still have a broken system.

I've spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on Digi's gear, and this is how I'm rewarded? I have to pay almost $100 to WAIT for tech support to pick up? Unacceptable.

Link to previous thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=276555
Old 08-03-2010, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Tech support is now $80? Great...

Have you tried calling Magma? Just a thought...
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:37 PM

Avid has been sqeezing their video customers for years with this ploy and they've decided they can get audio customers to do it too. It is not going to win over any new friends. Your other choice for support is a "support contract", there are graduated levels which determine what day and time you can actually get someone on the phone.

I don't know if that $80/call thing is Avid's intended policy but if it is, Avid, how about considering reducing that by $1 for every minute the customers waits!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 PM

Is it the $80, or actually getting a fix/solution quickly that is the issue?

I have noticed a lot of companies going to leave a message and cued callback systems, instead of leaving us on hold. I much prefer that, as long as the system is well managed, and you actually get the call. . . Also, once an incident has been opened, there should be a much shorter path for reconnecting as things are worked thru. . . A customer should only have to start from scratch once per incident. All the systems and tools are there these days and some companies are unbelievably together with their customer support. I am not aware of how "together" Avid is at this. . . One would hope they would be "leaders".
Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
I don't know if that $80/call thing is Avid's intended policy but if it is, Avid, how about considering reducing that by $1 for every minute the customers waits!
It has been 75.00 for years. 5.00 and people get their PIAWad. Not saying it could not be better, or that it is not frustrating waiting.
I paid for it once... then realized that the SAME answers were here on the DUC. You just have to look for them... and know how to ask. ff
Old 08-04-2010, 11:49 AM

I haven't called tech support for something like 7 years or so, () but the few times I did I was never charged anything, even for calls about systems that I purchased used.

I agree with formfunction, the DUC can usually answer your questions pretty quickly.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:29 PM

Because at the end of the day some companies, like Waves for example, actually truly care and depend on their customers. When you call Waves you get a human, they know how to diagnose and fix problems related to them, PT, and ilok. If they cant, they will research and get back to promptly. In the end, they will do whatever they can to help you out. They care. It shows.

Avid is so big and has so many large corporate customers that keep them going that they don't need to spend a few more dollars to hire more people to help us little folks. And obviously they wont spend the money to make a better more tested stable product.

They dont care about their customers, its obvious from reading this forum and dealing with them myself. Now, don't get me wrong, there are GREAT DEDICATED tech people at Avid who answer this forum and go that extra mile, they do care, but they aren't the ones in the board room. When I say Avid, I mean those in power to make decisions, not, the few great techs that try to help us out every day, no disrespect to you guys.

But the day is coming...PT use to be ahead of the game, but now there are alot of alternatives. Eventually people will get tired of lame customer service and choose other companies to business with. Why they cant see that is beyond me though,

I couldn't agree more. You shouldn't have to pay to help fix shiz that isn't working in the first place that you already spent $10,000 on...

I feel stuck with Digi. After the investment we made I won't go to another platform because I don't want to spend the money. However, knowing what I know now, if I could go back 5 years I would have gone a different route...
Old 08-04-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWSPHX View Post
B if I could go back 5 years I would have gone a different route...
Just curious,.. what would that route be? And do you think you would get serious clientele? Don't see many non PTHD studios getting more than 30-40 bucks an hour, do you? (if that)
Old 08-04-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWSPHX View Post
They dont care about their customers,
Sure about that?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:29 PM

I will have to say that in the many years I've dealt with Digi Tech. Supt. I've almost always had a good experience. Many times the tech said he was not going to charge me for the call. And, also, when they said they would research something and get back to me, they did, and usually within an hour or so. I'm not thrilled with paying up to $80 for tech.supt. call, but sometimes it's worth it. Actually, I don't think I've ever even paid their maximum amount now that I think about it.

Jeff