Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-15-2014, 02:13 PM

Default PTHD 11 upgrade questions

I bought a third-party PTHD 10 license on eBay, as it was cheaper than the upgrade price from PTHD 9 to 10 at the time (which was $1,000 when PTHD 10 was announced). Ownership was not transferred to me through avid.com, as it was just an iLok license transfer. Is it possible for me to upgrade that license to PTHD 11, or do I have to pay for the full upgrade price to move from PTHD 9 to 11?

Another question: I'm moving my main system over to a new, black MacPro with an Apogee Symphony interface, and moving my PTHD system (PCI-X cards with a chassis) down to my band's practice space. As I'm still keeping my Accel system, will I still be able to upgrade my PTHD license in the future, even though I won't have HDX cards?

Sorry if this has already been answered; I've done web searches for this and have come up with conflicting answers. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2014, 03:21 PM

Default Re: PTHD 11 upgrade questions

no transfer of ownership, no upgrade

don't know

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-15-2014, 03:50 PM

As far as what I've heard (no guarantee) if the PTHD10 license is in your iLok account, then you should be golden. If someone sold you an iLok with a PTHD license on it, then you're out of luck.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:55 PM

Correct. As long as it's on your Ilok, you can upgrade, and continue to do so.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. The PTHD 10 license was transferred to my account; I didn't buy someone else's iLok. However, PT 10 doesn't show up in my Avid.com account under "Your Products," which is why I wasn't sure if I could upgrade or not. To get PT10 in the past, I've had to download the software from our work account (multiple HD rigs), copy it onto a flash drive, and take it home. Is there a way around this? In the past (I bought my rig when PT 6.7 was current), you could download whatever software you wanted, but it was useless unless you had the proper iLok assets. Now, it seems that the software downloads are tied to your account. Is that correct? Thanks again for your patience!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:15 PM

When you upgrade to PT11 HD you also get PT10HD and that way you recieve a new activation number if I recall and then you will have both PT10 and PT11 in your Avod account provided that you register your new PT11/10HD

Correct me if i am wrong bere but I believe you get the links as soon as you bought the upgrade bundle, right?

Also, as you got the license (PT10HD) second hand it won't show up in your Avid account, that is not the same as your Ilok account where you recieved the license, you need to register the new upgrade with your Avid Account and then you will get the download links.

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 PM

I didn't get any download links from Avid, as I bought the asset from someone on eBay (someone on this forum, as a matter of fact). They transferred the iLok asset to me, and I was on my own to get the software. I've done each HD upgrade in the past (6-9), and each required me to cough up the previous license. I know that upgrading from 10 to 11 allows me to keep the PTHD10 license, but my concern is that Avid doesn't even seem to know that I have PTHD 10.

I guess my real question is, does it matter that Avid doesn't officially know about my PTHD 10 license, because it only requires a quick scan of my iLok to confirm I have the license? Or is this something that has to be on the books with Avid before they will allow me to upgrade?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 PM

Avid doesn't handle the license transfer, iLok does. So the download links are not added to your account.

However... The trial version of Pro Tools that's publicly available is the full version, if you have a full license on your iLok. So no matter what, you can always access the latest build.

What Chris is saying is this: when you buy an upgrade to PTHD 11, you receive a bundled license directly from Avid. This means that once you buy the upgrade, all the download links for both 10 and 11 are added to your Avid account, and PTHD10 +PTHD11 licenses are put in your iLok account once you surrender the PTHD10 license you currently have in your iLok account.

As far as I know, you can still buy the PTHD11 upgrade even if you don't have the license tied to your Avid account. But the only way to successfully activate it is to surrender the license for PTHD10. This requires the PTHD10 license to be registered to your iLok account - which you have.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:05 PM

An Avid registration is not required and is not needed for updates and future upgrades on used license assets.
Future paid upgrades will be available from any Avid dealer or avid.com web store
However you must keep your Pro tools ilok license in order to obtain any update or upgrade. All upgrades and updates are
ALWAYS tied to ownership of the ilok licenses and have nothing to do with the Avid Registration.
Avid has to allow transfers this way otherwise nobody would ever be able to sell a used Pro Tools system.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:24 AM

Awesome. Thanks everyone! I successfully bought the PTHD 11 (from 10) upgrade, surrendered my PTHD 10 license, and received the PTHD 11 and 10 asset. Much appreciated!