Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2011, 02:45 PM

Default Protools AAF export won't import into Avid MC 5

Any tips for this scenario:

want to do some edits to some music. then send the edited tracks in a form so that the avid editor running mc 5 can then see my edits and have full handles to change the edit.

numerous tests with exporting aaf (in all formats .wav, .mxf, .aif) don't work!!!
no matter what settings i choose( whether embedded or link consolidated)

this would need to be a quick situation not like manually relinking every file in the media composer.

Ideally the best situation would be to export an .aaf file that has all the full files not the edits that would then be linked up in the avid. Giving the avid editor complete handles.

If in fact Media Composer and Protools work together then shouldn't this be easily possible!!!???

thanks to any help! I'm worried I'm gonna have to start cutting with Media Composer. ughh...
Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Protools AAF export won't import into Avid MC 5

What kind of error are you getting? What versions of Media Composer and PT are you using?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:37 PM

OMF2 -with media -will work -I tried AAF from Pt8 to MC5 as well and the issue was getting the Avid to relink the files to the media which always showed in MC5 as offline -a few Avid gurus looked at it for us and suggested we use OMF2 -which worked just fine -although it means you have the media in the Avid twice -however that didn't seem to bother anyone very much.

I remember thinking there must be a better way -would also like to know it for next time.

All the best

Bruno
Old 03-31-2011, 06:12 PM

Are you trying to export stereo tracks?

I had the same problem. Split to mono and export, works fine.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:15 PM

I was finally able to get the aaf's into the avid. Now the problem is that none of the volume automation comes across. Which is seriously lame! Anyone have any luck with this. Correction to the previous post of mine.. The show is running media composer 4 not 5. Maybe 5 is better?

Avid/digidesign should strongly consider an option to allow an aaf export of whole regions (not consolidated) that includes volume/pan info etc. This way media composer can take the entire regions and add them to the database so that future exports from protools that include the same regions only need to relink to the files.

One would think that these two softwares work together without having to install an interplay server.

Protools has an export option that in theory is supposed to be able to be imported into the avid with volumes etc etc.

Avid please help? This could be a huge thing if your software would do what it is advertised to be able to do.

I would be happy to get specifics to help digi/avid figure this out!
Currently I have a very large rental company seeing if this will work in other versions of the avid.

I am also going to try in final cut to see if that works. If it does then it would be wise for avid to follow suit.

More to come thanks for the help!!