Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 AM

Default Re: DAE Error -1146, Magma Chassis PE6R4

Tim,

You're correct. The invoice says PE6R4, but I just heard back from Sweetwater that it is the PE6R4-I.

So, 1 cable.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:21 PM

join the club
here is some helpful info
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...highlight=1146
by the way never was able to resolve

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 06-22-2010, 12:37 PM

Dude,

Yeah, I've read through your thread. You never got it resolved? What a bummer!

My sales engineer over at Sweetwater seemed to remember something similar happening to a customer a couple years ago. He said that it had something to do with the specific card revision not working with the chassis, and was solved by swapping the cards with Digi. I'm going to assume that's not an option, as they haven't made PCI-x cards in years.

There are so many variables, and even though I feel like I've narrowed down the possibilities, there are still so many things it could be. At the very least, I need to know that it's either the cards or the chassis, or I'm going to be stuck with a $2200 chassis I can't use.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Another weird update:

I moved the Core card within the chassis again (after moving it, I settled on leaving it in the slot closest to the power supply). I moved it back to the slot FARTHEST from the power supply (slot 4), and when I launched PT, it paused at "Creating DAE Objects" for about 5 seconds, and threw error -9162. That error led me to this thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...ht=error+-9162

To note, a subsequent PT startup (without reboot) KP'd the machine.

With the Core Card in this position, I consistently get error -9162 now. And the card STILL passes DigiTest. Very strange indeed...
Old 06-29-2010, 12:55 PM

I got my machine to load PT today, but this would not hold across restarts. I've started a case file with both Avid and Magma.

The cards are now seated in the correct slots (according to Magma) and the new error I'm getting consistently is error -9162. When PT gets to "Creating DAE Objects", the process will pause, throw the error, and wait for my confirmation to quit. Again, if I don't restart, the machine will KP.

I've sent both my Digi logfile and a log of my last KP to the "vi" email address at Digi. I'll post back with any updates.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasteEater View Post
Dude, I'm going to assume that's not an option, as they haven't made PCI-x cards in years.
Sure they do. And sell them to..... Windows/pc users. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SessionKat View Post
The PE6R4-I is a chassis we've never officially qualified in house. Magma just changed the design (was 2
cables to connect to host, now uses 1 infiniband cable like the EB7) and keeps selling them as if they're the same thing.

So, 1 cable or 2?
So, new chassis, 1 cable . . . even though I haven't had an issue, should I start worrying now.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:04 AM

Any news here? I have to cross my fingers every time I startup PT. I get hardware error 60% of the time. Got my magma from Sweetwater. Instead of trouble shooting I just restart over and over until it works, too busy to futz. Thanks to those who are.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:53 PM

I posted in another related thread on -1146 errors, and so thought I would post here as well:

Quote:
Just wanted to chime in with another 1146 error with PT8. The rig is a MBP running OS 10.5.7, PT8.0.3 HD2, Magama 4 slot PCIx. It's worked more or less flawlessly for the last 2 years or so; just finished a record mostly at 64 voice 2 DSP; went on vacation; came back and the rig won't fire up without an -1146 error. I tried fresh installs, trashing pref's... no go. Tomorrow I'm going to revert back to 7.4 and see how it goes. Will report back.
Obviously my chassis is different, but it sounds kind of related, no?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:40 PM

Well, here's the update:

Magma sent me a new chassis, and I swapped everything out; new chassis, host card, cable... everything. I still get error -9162 when PT gets to "Creating DAE objects".

So, I've gone through all of Magma's troubleshooting steps, and I've paid Avid for the top-tier Tech Support, all of which has done no good. It's been over a month now, and I feel like I've been pretty patient. That patience is growing thin.

I should mention (again) that I am only testing my Core Card in the chassis, and the setup is exactly the same as in my original post: no other software is installed, and it's a fresh install of Snow Leopard. Also, the Core Card has passed DigiTest in my original chassis, and the brand new one. Oh, and PT works just fine after reverting back to 7.4 in my G5 (which is not a solution for me, as one of the processors in blown in that machine).

I should also mention that Magma no longer ships the PE6R4. The DO ship the PE6R4-I which is NOT supported by Digi. So, at this point in time, there are NO supported CURRENTLY SHIPPING solutions for PCI expansion. I would expect that Avid and/or Sweetwater would make that clear, but alas, they have not. When I paid for the "top-tier" Avid support, the (very nice) tech who helped me mentioned that they don't even have a PE6R4-I in-house for testing. Great...

So, I'm back to square one. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on hardware and software for my TDM system which is now useless. Any more suggestions?