Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-05-2012, 12:35 PM

Question Help on a production trick?

A few songs I tend to listen to have this great little production trick (well I love it any way ) in the chorus the drummer plays 1/4 notes on the hihat with his drum beat, but there seems to be a drum machine I think playing a fast hi hat/shaker which gives the chorus this great groove. I'd like to recreate this trick on a song I'm mixing at the moment to give it a different groove in the chorus. Other than SD I've not used any virtual instruments before so could someone recommend a way to do this and if so what plugin/virtual instrument would I use which is stock with pro tools. One of the songs that comes to my head which has this effect in is paramore "that's what you get"

Thank you in advance

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 01-05-2012, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Help on a production trick?

Hey Raoul

This is what I would suggest. I noticed that you have the Trigger Plug.
I am assuming the song is locked to a timing grid, and a click track
If so print the click track as 1/8th notes, to an open track, apply trigger as a plugin on that track, and find a sample of a china cymbal for the click track to trigger, and print that on just your choruses. It sounds like a live overdub of a China cymbal to me on the Paramour track, but it might be a small crash.

Good Luck

BobCat
Old 01-05-2012, 01:05 PM

Sounds like just a tight/closed, close mic'd hi-hat, panned opposite the "real" HH on the first half (which is what I assumed you were referring in the Paramore track). When I want to add a percussive element to bring up the intensity (etc.) in a chorus, what I'll usually do is either bring in a sample and then tempo adjust (Elastic Audio), or program some MIDI. The sample option is typically quicker and what I tend to go with for percussion elements like tamborine, shaker, etc. The recording MIDI option generally takes longer depending upon if you have an accurate tempo map, how simple or intricate the part you want to add is, your skills on your MIDI input device, and your MIDI editing skills (of course).

As far as what to use Superior Drummer would be a great choice, but I'm sure you could find something that would work in Xpand2. Another option might be using Trigger (I see in your signature) and using it to output some MIDI and then editing duplicating to create a part. And still another option might be to mult the HH track and then process it to get a different and tighter sound and then using a Tap Delay to turn the 1/4 note hits into 1/16s with different volumes. The options are many...
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 01-05-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcats View Post
Hey Raoul

This is what I would suggest. I noticed that you have the Trigger Plug.
I am assuming the song is locked to a timing grid, and a click track
If so print the click track as 1/8th notes, to an open track, apply trigger as a plugin on that track, and find a sample of a china cymbal for the click track to trigger, and print that on just your choruses. It sounds like a live overdub of a China cymbal to me on the Paramour track, but it might be a small crash.

Good Luck

BobCat
BobCat thank you so much, the click machine I use is TL click and it doesnt have an option for 1/8 notes, I wish it did sometimes though. Do you know of another plug that could do that or another way of creating 1/8 note

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 PM

TL Metro
Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneal92 View Post
Sounds like just a tight/closed, close mic'd hi-hat. When I want to add a percussive element to bring up the intensity (etc.) in a chorus, what I'll usually do is either bring in a sample and then tempo adjust (Elastic Audio), or program some MIDI. The sample option is typically quicker and what I tend to go with for percussion elements like tamborine, shaker, etc. The recording MIDI option generally takes longer depending upon if you have an accurate tempo map, how simple or intricate the part you want to add is, your skills on your MIDI input device, and your MIDI editing skills (of course).

As far as what to use Superior Drummer would be a great choice, but I'm sure you could find something that would work in Xpand2. Another option might be using Trigger (I see in your signature) and using it to output some MIDI and then editing duplicating to create a part. And still another option might be to mult the HH track and then process it to get a different and tighter sound and then using a Tap Delay to turn the 1/4 note hits into 1/16s with different volumes. The options are many...
Thanks Chris, I thought getting an effect like this would have been simple but now it seems like its not as simple as I thought. I just love the way it gives a song the extra groove

Old 01-05-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
TL Metro
Yes sorry TL metro not TL click,

Old 01-05-2012, 01:19 PM

When I said bring in a sample, I meant a sample loop, which I then conform to the song tempo and duplicate as needed. However, it can be done with a few single hit samples used to put together a bar (adjusting volume, etc.) and then duplicate/loop.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Yes sorry TL metro not TL click,
TL Metro has options for 1/8, 1/16th, and triplets. So I'm not sure why you said you couldn't do that with this plug-in.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
TL Metro has options for 1/8, 1/16th, and triplets. So I'm not sure why you said you couldn't do that with this plug-in.
Chris when I looked for them the only options I had where 1/4 notes, rest then 1/8 note, and triplet, did I miss something dude