Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2014, 05:18 PM

Default Re: After all these years.. still crackling and popping when moving windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There is no virtualization involved with Bootcamp, and no overhead. Windows is running directly on the hardware. It is just a fancy way of saying dual-boot.
Ok, it still seems like a roundabout way of trying to run Pro Tools to me, especially if you're having problems.

Again, I say to the OP - why not just use the Mac version of Pro Tools??

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 06-21-2014, 05:49 PM

Default Re: After all these years.. still crackling and popping when moving windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Ok, it still seems like a roundabout way of trying to run Pro Tools to me, especially if you're having problems.

Again, I say to the OP - why not just use the Mac version of Pro Tools??
Because his Mini has Mavericks and he's running PT10. I believe you can backdate Mini's to Mountain Lion as I think the only Macs that absolutely, positively have to have Mavericks are the iTrashcans. That would be the simplest and he could run the Mac version of PT.

QAPLA!
Old 06-22-2014, 05:47 AM

i am pretty shure it is not software-related , sounds for me like a ground-problem with the firewire-port...

maybe a 6pin on 4pin and vice-versa firewire-adapter could help ,
in this case your interface could not be buspowered via FW
(if it is?) but the cpu-noise should be gone.
You would need then a seperate power-adapter for your interface
if it is buspowered via FW

had a similar issue in the past with a Motu FW interface
and the configuration above hepled.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Because his Mini has Mavericks and he's running PT10. I believe you can backdate Mini's to Mountain Lion as I think the only Macs that absolutely, positively have to have Mavericks are the iTrashcans. That would be the simplest and he could run the Mac version of PT.
Interesting. Still sounds like it could be a problem caused by trying to run Pro Tools 10 with this type of configuration. Might not be an issue that can be "solved" other than running PT on a qualified computer. Not that I'm against pushing the envelope, but when you say "after all these years", maybe it's time to consider a supported system...

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 06-23-2014, 06:16 PM

I still don't understand why you don't just install PT10 on the current Mavericks partition and see how it works? Far simpler than mucking about with backdating the OS and all that nonsense, and it would quickly prove whether or not virtualization is the problem. No, it's not officially qualified, but it's working fine on loads of Mavericks systems out there.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 06-24-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
I still don't understand why you don't just install PT10 on the current Mavericks partition and see how it works? Far simpler than mucking about with backdating the OS and all that nonsense, and it would quickly prove whether or not virtualization is the problem. No, it's not officially qualified, but it's working fine on loads of Mavericks systems out there.

best,
rich
Running Windows via Bootcamp is NOT virtualization.

The reason the poster is running PT10 in Windoze is because his Mac Mini came with Mavericks and PT10 isn't supported in Mavericks.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 06-25-2014 at 03:33 AM. Reason: wrong info rferred to
Old 06-24-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Running Windows via Bootcamp is NOT virtualization.

The reason the poster is running PT10 in Windoze is because he wants to have the exact same environment as he does on his main machine, which I guess if you have the muscle memory down for the Windoze version of shortcuts, etc. is easier than learning new muscle memory for the Mac shortcuts and such.
Right, not virtualized - wasn't paying attention.

But as a troubleshooting exercise, installing PT10 on Mavs will take 15 minutes and would put to bed the OS-or-not OS question. Don't understand why the OP wouldn't just do it?

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 06-24-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Right, not virtualized - wasn't paying attention.

But as a troubleshooting exercise, installing PT10 on Mavs will take 15 minutes and would put to bed the OS-or-not OS question. Don't understand why the OP wouldn't just do it?

best,
rich
I don't understand it either. Heck the download will take longer than the install; maybe 15 minutes at that all told download to finished install.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 06-25-2014 at 03:34 AM. Reason: referred to incorrect info