Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-13-2007, 03:51 AM

Default How to get more tracks with the MPT and DVT 2

So you have the Music Production Toolkit or DV Toolkit 2, you're working on a session, and you just hit the 48 track limit but need some more tracks. What do you do? Well, back in the day we used Ableton LIVE(or REAPER) to stream consolidated audio tracks from the PT Audio Folder via ReWire into PT Aux tracks(which you still need to do if don't have the MPT or DVT 2), but, there are other ways that can be done in PT itself that are faster and make for better session management.

Technically, we can playback 96 tracks of audio using the MPT or DVT 2(48 stereo tracks total). If you hit the 48 track limit and need more tracks, then simply combine two mono audio tracks to one stereo audio track, and then buss this to two separate mono aux tracks. Then, delete or deactivate the original two mono audio tracks and hide the new stereo(put it in Solo Safe mode first) track for session management. You can now treat these two new tracks the same as any other track with separate inserts, sends, automation etc. Continuing the above steps with other tracks, you will be able to break the 48 track limit with ease. Using this method I have done mixes in PT LE with 60+ tracks, 8-10 Aux returns and a ton of parallel processing. There are enough busses to pull this off with success.

It is quite simple to do:

Screen Capture.

Screen Capture Alternative Link.

Screen Capture QuickTime version.

*Note - I'm using a ton of shortcuts in this capture but you'll get the idea(My capture has no audio dialog. I'm too lazy. ) I actually wrote some AHK scripts to speed up the process but disabled them to demonstrate how to do this using PT LE only.

When you put on your engineer hat, you'll always find workarounds that can handle the "limits" of PT LE.

Hope that helps.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-13-2007, 06:12 AM

Default Re: How to get more tracks with the Music Production Toolkit

Nicely done.
Knew about it, but didn't bother to post it...too busy busing and using all those extra track counts!

Cheers to Shane and his commitment to the DUC.

KT
Old 10-13-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: How to get more tracks with the MPT and DVT 2

Damn. Never would've thought of that. I'll keep that in mind when I get a huge session going again. Thanks!

jonnn
jonlesher.com
thedrumeditor.com
Studio pre-production guide
Drum recording guide
Old 10-13-2007, 04:20 PM

Wow. Thanks, Shane.

For vocals, what type of AUX track should be used? Mono or Stereo?
Windows Vista Home Premium
Old 10-13-2007, 08:30 PM

Nice one Shane. Might be worth investing in the MP Toolkit after all
Old 10-13-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Wow. Thanks, Shane.

For vocals, what type of AUX track should be used? Mono or Stereo?
Mono. It's all in the demo and basic description. I have 75+ more of these to share with everyone(with dialog). But, many of them are very geeky though and are pretty out there. I'll also include many of my own custom scripts that definitely take the "Limited" out of PT "LE".

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-14-2007, 02:53 AM

Quote:
I'll also include many of my own custom scripts that definitely take the "Limited" out of PT "LE".

Shane
Lol Can't wait.
Windows Vista Home Premium
Old 10-14-2007, 03:27 AM

That's the best way to go past the 48 track limit. And if you run out of Aux buses there's always the possibility to group two mono tracks as a stereo one, leave the fader at 0 and use a dual mono plug in on the insert, disengaging the stereo link, so that L and R are independent and can be automated (even output volume) from the plug in. Not handy and flexible like Shan's busing method, but could work when you reach the outer limit of available buses.

L.G.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:
That's the best way to go past the 48 track limit. And if you run out of Aux buses there's always the possibility to group two mono tracks as a stereo one, leave the fader at 0 and use a dual mono plug in on the insert, disengaging the stereo link, so that L and R are independent and can be automated (even output volume) from the plug in. Not handy and flexible like Shan's busing method, but could work when you reach the outer limit of available buses.

L.G.
Dual mono trim plug-in for the volume. And use tracks that will be pretty much static throughout the mix. The only big prob with this method is you cant send each side to it's own individual effects returns as there is no way to individually mute the left or right side of a send or have individual left/right send level control. But, it can still be effective and used though as you can put the actual effect on an insert and mute one side if the other channel doesnt need it etc. I've used 7 ways to get more tracks out of LE over the years since PT LE 5.0. All have worked well.

Shane

Old 10-14-2007, 11:15 AM

Makes you wonder why it's not just a simple 96-voice limit for the MPT. The number 96 looks better in the advertising blurb, doesn't it?

Remember Apple giving in on running Windows on Intel Macs when it became obvious that everyone could do it?