Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 02-10-2014, 02:50 PM

Default HD Native Thunderbolt Setup Problems

Hey all..

I've recently switched over from a PC HD system to running HD i/o through the HD Native Thunderbolt. But something seemingly obvious seems to have gotten messed up in the setup as Pro Tools just won't recognise the HD Native. More specifically..

With Pro Tools NOT running, i go to audio/midi Setup and i see the Native Thunderbolt and it recognises the HD I/O.

When i load Pro Tools, it defaults to the internal output. I click on Hardware Manager and it sees the HD Native Thunderbolt but doesn't see any ins and outs.

I've tried every driver that i can find. I don't really understand if i should have core audio or not. Like i said, i'm relatively new to Mac things, but VERY experience on Pro Tools on a PC.

I assumed this would be a simple setup, but i've lost about a day on this now..

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance..

MC
Old 02-10-2014, 03:25 PM

Default HD Native Thunderbolt Setup Problems

Are you still using PC? Did you switch the Native engine? I have an issue the first couple of times I ran my HDN on my MBP. I had to switch from the aggregate IO.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:01 PM

Default Re: HD Native Thunderbolt Setup Problems

I am still switching between my PC setup and the MBP trying to get things working. It's all very confusing.

I've just uninstalled all Avid stuff. I'm on Mountain Lion 10.8.5. Installing Pro Tools 10.3.7 (I assumed i'd be able to co-install with 11, but apparently not?)

I'm installing the 11.0.3 HD driver. I'm following the instructions of the correct order to plug everything in.

We'll see what happens..
Old 02-10-2014, 04:07 PM

When protools is loading used the command to bring up the menu to change the playback engine. I can't remember what it is but I think it's holding n on mac. You used be able to coinstall.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carpenter View Post
Hey all..

I've recently switched over from a PC HD system to running HD i/o through the HD Native Thunderbolt. But something seemingly obvious seems to have gotten messed up in the setup as Pro Tools just won't recognise the HD Native. More specifically..

With Pro Tools NOT running, i go to audio/midi Setup and i see the Native Thunderbolt and it recognises the HD I/O.

When i load Pro Tools, it defaults to the internal output. I click on Hardware Manager and it sees the HD Native Thunderbolt but doesn't see any ins and outs.

I've tried every driver that i can find. I don't really understand if i should have core audio or not. Like i said, i'm relatively new to Mac things, but VERY experience on Pro Tools on a PC.

I assumed this would be a simple setup, but i've lost about a day on this now..

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance..

MC

Are you then going into I/O Setup and clicking the Default button on each tab on the dialog?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-10-2014, 04:35 PM

Just reinstalled and followed all steps correctly.

Audio Midi Setup shows Thunderbolt and the HD I/O as before.

Open PT and it goes to the default input. It doesn't show the Thunderbolt Native as an option. I click on the Audio Midi setup and it shows no HD I/O.

This is driving me crazy...

Has anyone had any experience with the HD Native Thunderbolt and got it working? What am i missing here?
Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike496 View Post
When protools is loading used the command to bring up the menu to change the playback engine. I can't remember what it is but I think it's holding n on mac. You used be able to coinstall.
Correct. Hold down the "N" key and choose the HDN as playback when prompted. Also make SURE you have installed the HD driver for the HD card after installing PT11. Thats a separate installer and maybe you done that already but wanted to check that off the list

When we first installed HDN we had to empty PRAM as it didn't recognize the card until we did that

Best Regards and Good Luck

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-10-2014, 04:39 PM

And just stop looking at the Audio/MIDI setup, its playback engine setting inside Pro Tools that matters.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:05 PM

Playback settings inside Pro Tools don't show me the HD Native Thunderbolt at all. Hitting N at start up gives me every other option EXCEPT the HD Native Thunderbolt.

I'm only looking at Audio Midi Setup after PT doesn't work to see what's going on.

And it says in the manual that all the drivers should be installed with Pro Tools. But then i went and installed the HD 11.0.3 drivers and it didn't make any difference.

I'm not sure what PRAM is, but i'll check it out...

Thanks for your help. I'm sure it must have worked for someone..
Old 02-10-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carpenter View Post
Playback settings inside Pro Tools don't show me the HD Native Thunderbolt at all. Hitting N at start up gives me every other option EXCEPT the HD Native Thunderbolt.

I'm only looking at Audio Midi Setup after PT doesn't work to see what's going on.

And it says in the manual that all the drivers should be installed with Pro Tools. But then i went and installed the HD 11.0.3 drivers and it didn't make any difference.

I'm not sure what PRAM is, but i'll check it out...

Thanks for your help. I'm sure it must have worked for someone..

Here is the details:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————