Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2014, 07:03 PM

Default PT 11.1.2 Crashes when consolidating, adjusting fades, Audiosuite auditions etc

Hey all..

I've just gone to PT 11.1.2 on Mac OSX 10.8.5 on a Macbook Pro with 8 gig ram. It's running ok, but whenever i either consolidate, or double click on a fade, or audition an Audiosuite process, i get the spinning wheel of death, and have to force quit. Any ideas why? I go back to 10.3.8 and everything is fine.

I did a quick forum search but couldn't find anything. Anyone else having a drama like this?

Thanks in advance..

MC
Old 02-21-2014, 05:09 AM

Default Re: PT 11.1.2 Crashes when consolidating, adjusting fades, Audiosuite auditions etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carpenter View Post
Hey all..

I've just gone to PT 11.1.2 on Mac OSX 10.8.5 on a Macbook Pro with 8 gig ram. It's running ok, but whenever i either consolidate, or double click on a fade, or audition an Audiosuite process, i get the spinning wheel of death, and have to force quit. Any ideas why? I go back to 10.3.8 and everything is fine.

I did a quick forum search but couldn't find anything. Anyone else having a drama like this?

Thanks in advance..

MC
Recording to a separate drive?
Have you optimized your computer according to Avid's recommendations?
Do you have any other processes running while working in PT?
Are your drives set to never go to sleep?

QAPLA!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:14 AM

Default Re: PT 11.1.2 Crashes when consolidating, adjusting fades, Audiosuite auditions etc

Yes.. to all. I've been on Pro Tools for 14 years.. just on a PC. So i know how all that works.

Like i said… 10.3.8 works fine. 11.1.2 works fine except for these rather significant issues.

Also.. i'm Thunderbolt Native into a HD I/O 16x16..
Old 02-21-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Yes.. to all. I've been on Pro Tools for 14 years.. just on a PC. So i know how all that works.

Like i said… 10.3.8 works fine. 11.1.2 works fine except for these rather significant issues.

Also.. i'm Thunderbolt Native into a HD I/O 16x16..
Just because PT 10.3.8 works doesn't mean PT11.1.2 will work flawlessly with the same system. I asked about the optimizations because you didn't mention that you'd done any of that and that's one of the first things to look at.

Is there anything else you have on your system you're not telling us about? Like plugins you're using? They don't have to be in a session to wreak havoc.

What size session are you working on when you start to have problems? PT11.1.2 has been pretty flawless here on the system in my sig file and I have a ton of third party plugins.

QAPLA!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:32 AM

Obviously not all of my 10.3.8 plug ins are in 11 yet. But most are by now. There's no plug ins in 11 that i don't have in 10.

The same behaviour is happening whether i'm opening sessions with 1 track or 90. Audiosuite, fades and consolidates crash the system.

I assumed 11 was an upgrade, so when things don't work in 11, i go to test in 10. They work flawlessly there.

MBP specs: Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7. 8 gig ram. External 1tb USB3 drive.

Thanks for your help though. I'll keep searching. It's an odd one..

MC
Old 02-22-2014, 08:18 PM

OK… Musicman got me thinking. I realise that on my MBP i'm running an external USB 3 drive… a G/Drive Mobile 7200rpm drive, formatted as a FAT 32 drive. I've been running it off a hub, which made me think that that might be the problem.

Today, i ran a session from my internal drive. It all worked fine on both PT 10 and 11.

I tried to run the same session off the external drive but plugged directly into the USB port on the MBP. No probs with PT 10, but no dice with PT 11. I even tried it running off Thunderbolt and it was the same result.

I suspect that the problem is the formatting of my external drive? The problem is that i do need to occasionally access my audio drive from a PC. So how do i format the external drive?

Does this make sense?

Thanks for all your help.

MC
Old 02-22-2014, 09:41 PM

Yep… put up my backup drive, formatted as Mac OS Extended and everything worked fine in 11.

Erased USB drive and reformatted. Transferring data now. Hopefully all should be fine from here.

Thanks again for all the help..

MC
Old 02-23-2014, 01:55 AM

Quote:
The problem is that i do need to occasionally access my audio drive from a PC.
http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive

Works flawlessly.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Yep… put up my backup drive, formatted as Mac OS Extended and everything worked fine in 11.

Erased USB drive and reformatted. Transferring data now. Hopefully all should be fine from here.

Thanks again for all the help..

MC
No problem. Macs tend to be fussy with drive formatting, especially if you're trying to use a drive formatted under Windows. Glad you got it sorted.

QAPLA!
Old 09-30-2016, 11:06 AM

Just wanted to add my own info as I suddenly had the same issue with a session I had previously had no problems with. Writing to a new track worked with no issues, but creating fades or consolidating made my session hang, leaving me with no option but to Force Quit.

Importing session data to a new session didn't help.

I fixed the issue after reading this thread by doing a "Save Copy As..." with the "copy audio files" setting on. This worked and the new session was functional. This was caused because a few of the referenced audio files were on an external harddrive. The original external harddrive referenced is correctly formatted, but it wasn't plugged in when I started the session, and though I plugged it in before hitting "automatically find missing files" the session found and linked to the backups of said files on a different harddrive which is not correctly formatted. I was stumped because the session had worked the night before, and I am just adding my solution here in case others get dinged by the same sequence of events!