Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2004, 11:54 PM

Default > Help - Recording Multiple Midi Tracks

I have a jazz session tomorrow AM and need to record multiple midi tracks (2 keys) at the same time. I haven't done this for years and swear it used to work. Now I get nothin when I sellect the specific midi interface input on the Midi track input. The only way I can record midi is to select All on the Midi track inputs. This makes no sense, what is up?

PT 5.3.1 on OS 9.2.2 HD3
MOTU MTP AV (2 keyboards going into midi inputs 1 & 2)
Routed to SoftSampleCell and B4,
Old 03-01-2004, 08:10 AM

Default Re: > Help - Recording Multiple Midi Tracks

-Are you sure OMS is properly configured and shows an accurate representation of your midi setup? -Are you sure all your physical midi connections are in check?
-Under the midi menu -> input devices - make sure that your controller and other input sources are checked off.

If selecting ALL works. Why don’t you just leave it that way? I’ve always had my PT midi inputs set to ALL and never used any of the other options. It’s been working for me just fine that way. I’ve got 2 midi interfaces, 1 controller & 3 instruments.

dk
Old 03-02-2004, 12:33 AM

I doubt it is anything wrong with how I am setting up ProTools. I got it working (so that the midi tracks would accept midi from different midi port inputs)by deleting the ProTools OMS "Current Setup" and recreating the OMS setting. From what I could see the OMS setup was correct in the first place and after a fresh restart this morning it quit working again. Now I can only record or see midi on the input of a Midi track when the track input is set to All.

I wish to be able to record multiple midi tracks at once because it saves time to record on more than one midi track at a time when we are doing live takes of a whole band to catch the vibe. In this case I am recording a jazz band and the keyboard player plays a rhodes, organ upper, organ lower and sometimes a synth patch or two. We setup a couple of my keyboards as controllers and he just changes to different midi channels to call up the different sounds, which I record on separate midi tracks and route the midi to a suitable soft synth or sound module. At mix time we will pull in the pefect sounds as required. I was recording multiple midi tracks 10 years ago with Cubase, but can't seem to get ProTools to do in reliably because there is something weird with OMS etc. . .

What is the fix to make it work reliably?
Old 03-02-2004, 07:06 AM

So OMS setup graphic shows 2 midi keyboards going into separate in ports (A-B) on the interface? You may have to assign a different ID number to each keyboard in OMS. Maybe set midi transmit to channel 2 on the second keyboard and to channel 1 on the first in OMS setup? Sorry, I can’t think of anything else... Good luck.

dk
Old 03-02-2004, 08:30 AM

That is right, OMS shows two midi keyboards as two different ports and they are plugged in that way as well. Both will work with the Midi track set to All. Neither work in the Midi track's input is set to the interface port (Port 1 All or Port 1 Channel 1). Did work when I deleted the Current OMS setup and recreated from scratch. Stopped working after I restarted the system a few times down the road.

Digidesign?
Old 03-02-2004, 11:27 PM

Digidesign?
Old 03-08-2004, 01:11 PM

I ended up recording the B4 and Rhodes as separate takes. It was a nightmare and it really sucked the life out of the session. This is live of the floor full-band jam-jazz and giving the keyboardist three keyboards, so he could record it all in one performance, would have been the right approach (Rhodes, B4 upper, B4 Lower). He is a great player and one take is all that is required but each take is a new story so overdubs are not the right thing to do. We ended up spending an couple hours editing and still the interplay on the tracks is not what it could have been if we had done it straight up.

Why are ProTools Midi tracks tempermental in accepting midi from inputs other than All?

This is going to happen to me again soon so help is appreciated. Digidesign?