Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2012, 03:13 PM

Default Syncing Pro Tools to other source

We are running Pro Tools 8 TMD with 2 192s, 96i and a digi MIDI IO.

A client is using a Roland PMA 5 which he has been using for years and years to record his songs - its what he knows. Since there is no way to get the songs off of the unit via a dump, i want to be able to sync Pro Tools to the unit and have it control the tempo of Pro Tools and let it drive pro tools while we record the MIDI data in Pro tools. We tried last week to get it to sync through MTC but Pro Tools says it does not see any sync. We have gone into peripherals and tried to get it to sync to ANY for MTC.. but to no avail. we tried today with an Alesis Drum machine and pro tools sees the midi data but it will not let the Drum machine start and stop pro tools and control the tempo.

I have read online that one doesnt have to have a DIGI SYNC to have it see the MTC and lock to it. Is that true?

We sold our DIGI Sync last year because we figured we were done with ADATs and such yet here we are..

Could any one offer a solution. Is there something we have over looked?

Thanks

JEff E
Old 09-25-2012, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Syncing Pro Tools to other source

Hi,

check this thread:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=267116

I donno nothing bout the Roland PMA 5, but I can say that syncing two Macs (one with PT and one with Logic) works perfectly fine using MTC & MMC !
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 AM

Thanks Steff

Are you able to make pro tools the slave of Logic?

J
Old 09-25-2012, 01:40 PM

With MTC and MMC anything should slave and receive, if it works with MTC MMC . But id use what has the best transport controls. Doesn't TDM come stock with a MTC plugin. I mixed a track that had MTC on it . I think it was supposed to sync to a SSL or Neve something like that. Never used MTC before myself but if I remember correctly my old Mackie D8B used MMC to integrate with HUI protocol . I miss that board but the HUI syntonization wasn't exactly real time with automation (LOL) witch made it more or less useless for that. But it was the best actual console Iv ever used just not a very good control surfaces at all.
The D8B and C/24 are polar opposites . great console or great surface but neither does both well .
Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM

I was told that Pro Tools will not sync to Tempo on MTC.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff E View Post
Thanks Steff

Are you able to make pro tools the slave of Logic?

J
Yes. Just look at my screenshots:

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/4277...759e#gallery:1
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 09-28-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I was told that Pro Tools will not sync to Tempo on MTC.
You have to set the tempo on both synced machines which isn't a problem as long as it is a fixed tempo.
If you got tempo changes, you have to ensure, that they are present @ the master machine (which in my case is Logic cause I'm not using a Sync HD or Sync I/O).

To be on the safe side for later edits (i.e. if PT is not synced anymore) I ensure that the tempo changes exist on both machines.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:26 PM

Steff,

Thanks for the input.
I need PTHD to sync to the Roland PMA 5 which is a hand held sequencer from 1996. It sends out MTC and clock through Midi. And the main goal is to get PTHD to sync to it because there are a lot of little nuances in the temp changes that the artist made. I cant even get PTHD to start in MMC mode form the sequencer. I tried what was in your pics but it still would not start. Pretty frustrating. I know that the DIGI IO doesnt do anything besides pass midi i just figured that PTHD was at least slave to the unit. and then we would draw in the tempo changes. The best we could do was set the temp and let it record in dumb mode. It works.. just a lot more work over all.

jeff
Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Steff,

Thanks for the input.
I need PTHD to sync to the Roland PMA 5 which is a hand held sequencer from 1996. ..... It works.. just a lot more work over all.

jeff
Hi Jeff,

sorry, I cannot help you more. I owned a Roland MC500 and a Yamaha QX1 a couple of decades ago, but I never used PMA5.

All I can say, that it workes here fine with Logic. I had problems in the beginning, but once a friend told me to use different IDs for MMC-Master and MMC-Slave within PT, it started working fine.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:45 PM

Thanks again..
Its hard when the client only brings it here for a short amount of time. And when he is here he is on the clock. Ill have to see if I can get him to leave it over night.. and miss with the ID and see if I can get it to see it.

J