Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2001, 03:40 AM

Default MacOSX

and what about macos X.1 ?

what's going on ?

I need the driver for audiomedia card ...(so small thing to develop !)

will that exist one d ay ?
[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2001, 08:17 AM

Default Re: MacOSX

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahha
your funny! They won't write Sound manager drivers for os9 and you want drivers for osx? that's funny. I like osx and all but whats the point of using it yet? no Premiere, No final cut pro, no Pro Tools, and Logic is a joke. good luck having them fullfill this request. AM3 appears to be EOL as they are blowing these things out for 199.00 bucks so i dought they will write os9 or osx sound manager drivers. ASIO? maybe. direct connect i/o or whatever it's called is the responsibility of the application developers to utilize so as soon as drivers for this are created then the AM3 card shouldnt have any issues using it. I'm not sure if any apps for osx utilize it at this point though.
Old 10-19-2001, 11:26 AM

My upgrade to X.1 proved a waste.

When I see that agua statis bar, I wanna hit it with something ....

...it's going the way of the digital black hole. Zeros...

Did I mention it's slow as fleas on a polar bear?

...and Tony Hawk Pro Skater II froze the whole dang thing. Protected what?

Protected memory- protect us!

...and you want drivers?
Old 10-20-2001, 03:31 PM

I think osX.1 is a little better but it'll be a little while before I go osx all the way (years). I hear ya on the slow part, it's as bad as Windows for browsing your drives. I like the snappiness of the finder in os9.
Old 10-20-2001, 07:43 PM

If you think OS X is slow, then your either have installed it improperly, or your mentally handicapped. My God OS X flies. As far as stability goes, it’s rock solid. Maybe some cheesy written game crashed out on you, but who has time to play child's games like Tony Hawk, when I’m using my 001 to produce radio commercials and make money. Most likely you were running in classic mode, and that is only as stable as OS 9.2.1. If you installed AOL IM, or any Microsoft software in OS 9 then shame on you. What is the Agua status bar, do you mean Aqua Dock. You can get rid of it if it bothers you that much. You can quit an app without freezing your system. It’s nearly impossible to freeze the system. And if you biggest concern with your computer is the speed at which you browse your drives, instead of how fast the applications you spent thousands of dollars on operate, then please run along little boy and go buy a skate board so you can get out of the house and exercise. I would love to have some OS X (10.1) drivers for my Digi 001, and a USB Midi Interface that works properly would be nice. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2001, 09:45 PM

First we buy the bull...than it's served on a platter?

The first thing you notice is X takes control of your CPU. Not unlike AOL on Windows 95.

That is going to bug a lot of people.

Question: Why put a 'poorly' written X only demo on the OS-X site?

Let me guess. To demonstrate the benefits of protected memory? LOL

The 9 version wouldn't instantiate (in Classic mode)

And what a lot of apps to choose from. I must've blinked and missed the first two...or something.

FTR- Virtual playstation never let the kids down (Pro Skater II is one heck of a game- as games go)

FYI- Hotmail iMap accounts don't yet work in Cocoa and IE 5.5

Likewise, Appleworks froze.

The installers are amateurish...screen text overwrites screen text.

You cannot 'select' the disk to write the OS-X installer app for iTunes.

An expert user must put 0S-9 in the trash to trick the installer. Then restart.

On the plus side-

The iBurn Cocoa app did work with a Que USB burner- but the burn LED didn't light. And PPTP was cool...(no LAN tunnel apps to deal with) although they call it PPoE- for you folks with DSL.

When Appleworks froze, I could 'force quit'. But one could do that already (Command,Option, shift, esc)

And it really was slow. Perhaps a G-5 and ATA 200 will equal an old G-3 ATA 33 system running 8.6 (with a Diskwarrior tuned directory) IMO

(the above test was on a 500mhz DV iMac- 128 mbs)

So, in my 'little boy' opinion- it has a long way to go...

If I ventured a guess...2-3 D-Verbs on an 866?

I would be very surprised if this wasn't so.

Yeah, maybe the 'burned' 10.1 disk isn't the greatest. But 10.04 was a factory disk, and went straight to a spanking new Deskstar... that combo didn't work quiet so hard. But the 10.1 install was tired (virtual memory off). Very tired. I've never heard a system start-up like that- 10K plus ducks on a treadmill?

Are we brainwashed on this technology obsolecence thing? I'm serious...

Perhaps Cisco or Handspring will rewrite the kernal.

And our 'lowly' G-3s will rip. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But most likely 'open firmware' will prevent it from running. So much for 'open this' or 'open that'

(now back to Pro Skater II)
Old 10-21-2001, 10:37 AM

lets see..... we have a user on here with a low number like 7000 or 9000, obviously a guy who's been around here since BEFORE the Pro Tools free days, then you have mr 19000, someone who obviously is a kid who just picked up PT Free and wants to run it on his new OSX toy but he cant because it's not that simple to port to osx, obviously. You say that osx apps fly? what apps are you talking about? we are judging this thing by the finder, that's all we have except for an evaluation version of toast and logic. no thanks. we'll wait. osx has crashed BTW even on a new imac 500 CDRW version with 320 megs of ram. you must be playing the chess game if you think this things stable although it is 100 times faster and more stable than the beta or 10.00000003 version. Can't hold a candle to the responsiveness of os9 but I do think it smokes windoze.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:46 AM

and before you start ripping on ccstudios for his high member number, realize that that isnt his only profile. I, ccstudios have been around here for a long time before the even PCI days, i go back to the nubus days so i know the simplicity of using a computer for recording, the OS is what the app uses to talk to the hardware and there is no way that osx can communicate with the hardware as reliably as os9 has, it's because theres 20 years of dev in the os9 architecture. Long live OS9!
Old 10-21-2001, 11:45 AM

Hey, I'm so old... I can't remember Nubus.
Old 10-21-2001, 08:43 PM

Just my $0.02 and my low number. OS X.1 is the fastest most responsive OS I have used (including XP betas and GM). Not everything is perfect with X.1 but I can see where it is going, and so do many other people. If OS X.1 (not speaking for X) is slow on your machine, it is not configured correctly. Remember this is not a simple or even a complex upgrade of OS 9, it is a completely new (for PPC) operating system built on a absolutly rock solid base. There is a learning curve and time is needed for third parties to get the code updated, but OS X.1 is not slow and is a Godsend for Mac based audio. Digidesign realizes this and they also realize that they are behind much of the rest of the DAW industry. The AM3 is going the way of the Dodo bird. I've had to wait for updated drivers for my 29160 and 39160 cards and Kensington Turbo mouse. I am waiting for Adobe to update Premiere and Photoshop and Apple to update DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Pro. I am patient because I understand the numbers. When these parts fall into place there will be no other platform for serious A/V work. XP is a good OS, but it is still just an updated Win 2000, and it is being sold as the consumer version of their software. Like I said, it is good but it is nowhere near what OS X will be.

Shaggy, while I read your list of problems I understand why you are frustrated. Unfortunatly, I haven't had any of those problems, and I have installed X on over 15 computers. I have been able to install OS X apps and been able to select where they go. I have a 733 and I have gotten 104 plugs and 22 tracks without causing errors. Please search for "benchmarks" on this forum. If you know how to configure and use the OS programs will respond. OS X is not an easy OS to learn unless you have Linux or Unix command line experience. Use the OS X version of iTunes and Appleworks, get MS Office for X. There progys have never crashed for me, in fact the only crash of OS X versioned software is IE 5.1 beta.

Try to re-install OS X on a properly prepared disk. Re-install OS 9.2.1 and get Conflict Catcher and Disk Warrior. I really believe that there are other problems that are causing your frustrations. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, we will try to help you get this stuff running correctly.

Sorry about the length of this reply.

Peace