Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 AM

Default Blue Woodpecker with as-is 002?

Hi- your opinions invited and appreciated:

Not long ago, a colleague (pro studio) tracked my cello with a Blue Woodpecker, and I was very impressed with the sound.

I've been considering getting one of these microphones for use at my home studio, where I track mostly cello and other strings. So far, I've been going through the stock inputs on the 002, using a Rode NT1000 and/or DPA 4099 clip-on. Those sound pretty OK to me, but not as nice as the Woodpecker (not sure what the studio was using as far as pres and converters).

Since I won't be upgrading to external mic-pres or converters anytime soon, would it be silly to get a Woodpecker to use with the as-is 002?

Down the road, I hope to get a new interface, etc., but was thinking this mic might be a good first step up.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Blue Woodpecker with as-is 002?

I think Blue make some nice stuff
I can see were a ribbion would sound nice on a cello

I would be interested in what preamp was used, for about the same money you could get a Focusrite ISA Two or some other preamp of higher quality. you might like what you have for mics better with a better pre

mic and preamp combos do make a difference

if your shop carefully you might be able to get into a 500 series system (frame and 1 pre module) for about the same money
but I like options

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, Craig. I'll start thinking about the pre-amp possibilities...
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 PM

I haven't compared the Woodpecker, but I have used the Royer 121 and Cascade's DR-2 and FatHead II(all ribbon mics) and either of those might be close enough to make you happy(and either is cheap enough to allow you buy a good preamp too). I started experimenting with my 002 a few years ago. First thing I added was a Focusrite ISA-428 with the digital card(the ISA preamps are nice and clean, but not exactly "flavorful"). Then I added an API lunchbox and tried the Vintech 573(Neve 1073 style) and like that a lot(lots more character than the ISA). Then I added a pair of Five Fish Audio X-12 preamps(API 312 sounding) and those are my usual "go to" preamps for strings, voice and brass. Haven't done a cello yet(but its my favorite of the string family) but violin is really nice with the Cascade DR-2(FatHead II should be similar but not as hot because the DR-2 has 2 ribbons). With the 002 as your interface, I agree that a better preamp is in order here(even if its a Focusrite OctoPre Mk II Dynamic on the lightpipe input).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM

Thanks, Albee! Just the sort of advice I need. I recently picked up an Octopre MkII (not dynamic) just to expand the 002's inputs, so I might start trying a ribbon out with that. Again, thanks!