Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Mac OS X \'Tiger\' compatibility information.

A word for the wise

If you are running Protools you need to consider your workstation a "production environment". That means not jumping on every update option until it has been proven to work. It is a good policy to check here on the user forum before you go ahead and install operating system and other updates, to be sure that your combination of software and hardware are fully supported.

Just because Apple have released a new operating system of update doesn't necessarily mean Digidesign have had sufficient time to develop totally compatible software. Stay productive by being careful with the upgrade process unless you enjoy gambling.......
Old 05-07-2005, 10:31 PM

Beware
New Powermacs will NOT run Panther. If you have to buy a computer you are out of luck for a couple or of months
Old 05-07-2005, 11:05 PM

ok i just started a new job which will enable me to get a Mac on lease... with all the news with tiger not working, should i wait or just go out and get the G5? knowing that it will be upto 8 weeks till digidesing comes out with an update... any ideas?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:11 AM

Leave it to Digi to drop the ball on this one as uasual. We waited for a very long time for a OSX version of PTLE a while back and now we have to wait again for these guys to do 'extensive testing on all systems', which to me seems a bit funny regarding the fact that PTLE has never really worked on my Powerbook G4 (the reason for getting the machine in the first place was to be able to be portable running PT- for live sets and such, and because of abnormal, erratic, unexpected crashes during shows- I ditched PT on stage all together: its Albleton Live now. And it really really works). Before anyone starts thinking about my set up and what I might be doing wrong, I have talked extensively and spent alot of man hours with Digidesign trying to figure things out to no success- now adays I run my LE system on a PC *gasp* now with NO PROBLEMS. Although this is my opinion, there is a bunch of my colleagues that feel that Digi has left us Apple users, the smaller percentage, behind to dive in with PC users, making the Digi002 and the MBOX more compatible to the dark side, and then porting the gear over to us. It should be no surprise since it really boils down to money in the end.
Anyway, kudos to Digi! Another fine mess! I am an Mac user forced to use PCs to make music with stability! Nice!
I am going to pour beer into my PC and build another one for $50! Wicked!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:42 AM

out of curiosity then, does digi at least supply the coreaudio drivers for the newly "legacied" soundcards/interfaces? so that we can, for instance, at least use our 001's & amIII's as normal soundcards, rather than having to use apple's sound manager for other app's that are gracious enough to fascillitate the use of hardware NOT made by them. like reason, or peak, sx or dig performer? or are we forever banished from apple's latest os', never to break free of "jaguar?"

ml
Old 05-09-2005, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Beware
New Powermacs will NOT run Panther.
Will nor boot on panther DVD/CD but can be installed
a) as a target drive, with another Mac
b) boot on an external 10.3.9 installed system
c) or cloning with Carbon Copy

Apple will not support thoses install, but the macs are running.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:
The reason for the time between the Tiger release and Pro Tools compatibility has many factors, the most important being the immense test grid that must be gone through to make sure everything is working properly. Yes, Digi does get developer versions of Tiger, however we found several issues that needed to be addressed in beta versions and the last 'Gold' version is the one we are currently testing on.

If you compare the number of products that other manufacturers have to test for compatibility you will get an idea of why it takes Digi longer to do so. Not only do we test all products, but we test them in a wide range of computer models - making no assumption that if it works on one computer, it will work on every one. Also due to the wide variety of audio engines used in the industry, specific differences in those audio engines can determine how much work needs to be done on the manufacturers part to make their system compatibile.

For instance - Universal Audios UAD-1 will require significant driver updates for compatibility with Tiger and they're anticipating a Mid-June release date. TC's Powercore, on the other hand, works in Panther without any updates.

The reality is this - there is no one here at Digi resting on their laurels, witholding a compatible version of Pro Tools. We are as eager as you to get a compatible version out as quickly as possible, however we are not going to do it at the expense of proper testing. If we are in a no-win situation, where customers are going to complain either way, we'd rather them complain about it taking longer than they would like than to release the product early only to discover serious issues with it.

Thank you for your patience.

--------------------
Digi Tech Support
Digi I LOVE YOU! I was as frustrated as the next guy figuring that you guys had enough time and a pre-release developers' edition of Tiger to figure it out before hand, but that elegant response echos the hearts of all Digi loyals, we are all in need of a working version and that includes you guys, working hard, and that, I am sure, makes I all a little more appreciative. Thank you for everything.

http://www.Abravemix.com
Old 05-09-2005, 05:47 PM

Will Digi ever answer anyone about the coreaudio driver question? There be a working Tiger version when?? Sorry, but I still haven't received a clear answer.
Logic Pro 7
PT LE 6.4
Old 05-09-2005, 06:59 PM

That's why i sold my digi 001, because i knew i'ts life was short. I did it on time for $600, but i didn't buy pro tools again ( i bought Logic 7 and mac g5 ) because i was affraid of 002's life...I'm shure that the hardware i'm ussing now it's gonna work for ever. Do, i'm tired of the animals (Tiger, Panther, Pig ) I love pro tools...and Mac. Computing is changing so fast..my wallet can't handle it.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:29 AM

BUMP the Core Audio question...

Much as I love Pro Tools, I've given up hoping that Digi will continue to provide support for my ageing 001 as a PTLE device
BUT
I do think that they owe it to us to at least try to keep their hardware usable as a Core Audio device for as long as possible. However, the cynic in me believes that they would rather sell us new hardware; please feel free to prove me wrong
cheers
Roger
Closed Thread