Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 10-11-2020, 10:31 PM

Default PT ran out of CPU power. AAE-9173

Hello, and yes I'm another victim of this heinous error. I've done all the hoops, update plug-ins, drivers, i-Lock manager and the nines. I even uninstalled / re installed PT and there it was...waiting for me like an unknown STD. The only thing I haven't tried is the trouble shooting MAC guide recommended by Avid Knowledge base. It's the 3 steps of last hope... and I was wondering if anyone out there in the community made this attempt and what was the outcome. If you don't know what that is, well here they are:
* Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP)
* Disable tailspind and spindump
* Re-enable System Integrity Protection
(These steps are for Mac users only!)

And if you have any pointers that I've missed, please feel free to let me know where I've gone astray. Thanks.

ursolus
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
OS 10.15.5
Processor 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 64 GB 18866 MHz DDR3
PT 2020
X32 Producer
Old 10-11-2020, 10:37 PM

Default Re: PT ran out of CPU power. AAE-9173

I have the same setup

And the same problem

It will never be solved
12 cores and 64 gig of ram .. might be able to handle say 10 tracks
Errors at 20% cpu
F ing pathetic
They rewrote this Program in 12
So What the ...

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 10-12-2020, 04:22 AM

I don't think I've had more than a very small handful amount of 9173 errors since I started with PT10 and the systems in my profile page. PT won't just throw a 9173 on it's own - you have to be doing something to cause it to happen.

Have you all done the usual troubleshooting steps of pulling out plugins to the unused plugins folder?

I've run 60 audio tracks with like a dozen+ plugins with zero problems. Or 30+ tracks of samplers & synth vi's again zero 9173's. And I don't have a super system. The only vi I can't run multiples of or I'll have an issue is Arturia's MiniMoog emulation - that thing sucks cpu power like a ShopVac

QAPLA!
Old 10-12-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursolus View Post
Hello, and yes I'm another victim of this heinous error. I've done all the hoops, update plug-ins, drivers, i-Lock manager and the nines. I even uninstalled / re installed PT and there it was...waiting for me like an unknown STD. The only thing I haven't tried is the trouble shooting MAC guide recommended by Avid Knowledge base. It's the 3 steps of last hope... and I was wondering if anyone out there in the community made this attempt and what was the outcome. If you don't know what that is, well here they are:
* Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP)
* Disable tailspind and spindump
* Re-enable System Integrity Protection
(These steps are for Mac users only!)

And if you have any pointers that I've missed, please feel free to let me know where I've gone astray. Thanks.
Sure you should try disabling tailspin and spindump. Avid would not write KB articles if they were a total waste of time, and the cost of trying is low. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Errors-on-Mac

But it looks like some of what you have been doing is probably not a good use of your time. For a 9173, the last thing I would be doing is reinstalling the iLok manager, or even reinstalling Pro Tools. "updating" plugins is not going to fix a problem if the latest version you are installing is also broken/incompatible. You need to test by removing them.

The sequence/focus I would have used is... (and I expect you did try many of these)...

1. Trashing prefs. Always start by trashing prefs.
2. Testing if the problem is session related. Test starting with new empty sessions not from a template/not a clone of another session.
3. Testing it's not audio interface/driver related. Test playing back with Built-In output.
4. Test from a newly created admin user account (mosty checks for missed corrupt prefs and other problems).
5. Testing if third party plugins are causing problems (start by moving all plugins out of the plugin folder, if that is stable, put them back in batches until problems happen. Yes even unused plugins installed in Pro Tools cause 9173 errors. And it's frequently plugins... but other tests above make sense first as they can be very quick/easy to do.

Normally it's only after doing that that I'd suspect disabling tailspin or spindump would be worth trying... I've never actually needed either on a Mac. But if you are stuck try away.

Reinstalling Pro Tools rarely helps, but maybe try that next. But of things were just still a mess and you can't make progress. I would do a *test* install of macOS on a spare APFS container/partition and try starting over from scratch with a bare minimal Pro Tools install, *testing as you go*. That often seems to save time vs troubleshooting if things are really messed up. If it works then switch over to working off that boot volume.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-12-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:26 PM

Thanks Darryl Ramm for your helpful reply. I'll try your suggestions and post back my results. One question though, will the plug-in manufacturer affect the results of these procedures?? Some of my plug-ins have managers programs on my system. Here is a list of the plug-ins I use:

Slate-Digital
Ozone 8
Izotope Production Suite
WAVES
Native Instruments
Sound Toys
XFer Records Serum
Old 10-12-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Sure you should try disabling tailspin and spindump. Avid would not write KB articles if they were a total waste of time, and the cost of trying is low. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Errors-on-Mac
Darryl:
I tried the steps in the listed article and each time Terminal came back with something like 'command not found'. What I did was to copy the commands into a Textedit document so I didn't have to have a web browser open with SIP disabled. What am I doing wrong?

QAPLA!
Old 10-12-2020, 02:08 PM

You can't guess from just a list of manufacturers. But many on your list have had unstable plugins at times, or just demanding... iZotope, Slate, NI. And I've been burnt more than once by a free or demo plugin one old thing left there that I'd forgotten about.

And to be clear that I am not saying finding plugins (if they are even the causes here) is easy. It's never exactly clear how to best troubleshoot plugins in different cases.

When troubleshooting plugins start by showing Pro Tools works well with all the plugins removed. Moving all the .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder and restart Pro Tools... it will automagically put back the standard Pro Tools plugins. Just try running a session with that, even if many of your plugins you would want to use are not installed... but just see if it also fails. Or try creating a new test session and just lay in a pile of standard plugins. You can also try using the Pro Tools demo session... actually running that on a flakey system and seeing if it fails can be useful.. if it fails then remove all .aaxplugins files and test again using the demo session.

And if things works OK with just the stock plugins then add back other plugins (but I prefer to use the latest full installer not just move them back... lets everything get installed cleanly), if it's me I'll first install back the plugins I most need. If you don't need all of them, then leave those out entirely for now and get work done.

While you are testing make sure that ignore errors is not checked and that you are running at a small enough buffer size to trip up errors... that takes some judgement, not so high that errors rarely happen and not so small that they will always happen. That occasional CPU error that you get once a day and kills your work is horrible, but you can't also be testing for a whole day to see if things improve or get worse.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-12-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Darryl:
I tried the steps in the listed article and each time Terminal came back with something like 'command not found'. What I did was to copy the commands into a Textedit document so I didn't have to have a web browser open with SIP disabled. What am I doing wrong?
Hi jack

Textedit can easilly insert invalid hidden characters into files, are you trying to run that file as a shell script or copy and paste from it? If so I'd avoid it and just type the commands into terminal, or write a shell script file in a text editor like vi/vim.

If it's not garbage characters then my next guess would be simply the shell PATH is not picking up the command.

Type

$ sudo which launchtrl

to see if your admin account can even find launchtrl. If it can't then you can use the full file path "/bin/launchctrl"

lauchctrl lives in /bin which should be near the start of the your PATH. Something like /sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin ... etc.

----

BTW disabling spindump removes some error logging/dump capability. It's not a rare thing to do, several other software vendors and folklore suggests doing that... so worth trying. But if it does not help I'd probably turn it back on. Not exactly sure the dumps ever help Avid, but it may help other vendors/developers.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Hi jack

Textedit can easilly insert invalid hidden characters into files, are you trying to run that file as a shell script or copy and paste from it? If so I'd avoid it and just type the commands into terminal, or write a shell script file in a text editor like vi/vim.

If it's not garbage characters then my next guess would be simply the shell PATH is not picking up the command.

Type

$ sudo which launchtrl

to see if your admin account can even find launchtrl. If it can't then you can use the full file path "/bin/launchctrl"

lauchctrl lives in /bin which should be near the start of the your PATH. Something like /sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin ... etc.

----

BTW disabling spindump removes some error logging/dump capability. It's not a rare thing to do, several other software vendors and folklore suggests doing that... so worth trying. But if it does not help I'd probably turn it back on. Not exactly sure the dumps ever help Avid, but it may help other vendors/developers.
Thanks for the help. Manually entering the commands worked. I was using copy/paste from TextEdit and not a shell script. So you were right about possible bad characters.

QAPLA!
Old 10-13-2020, 05:05 AM

Update:
After going through all the above to disable spindump and tailspin when I booted up this morning I find that spindump and spindumpagent are running

Luckily I can shut them down via the activity monitor. Is there no permanent way to disable them?

QAPLA!