Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2020, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Still no solution for Analog Summing delay compensation

If it would be possible for negative values on an auxtrack, avid would have invented time travel. fluxcompensated.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Thanx originalscottyg

I return my summed signal to an AUX in, because I want to work on the mix and I want to use the analog summing as a plug in with automatic delay compensation when I work on the mix.

manually offset of delays is no good option IMO. And the delay depends on the buffer setting, so I have to adjust it every time new when changing the buffer.
BTW, its not possible to set negativ offsets on AUX returns.

But, As I said, I found a solution for ADC of the analog summing and It works absolute perfect :) I will post it the next days. I´m so glad to find this solution.
I still don't get why you need to sync up with the audio that's in the session with the return from analog summing - you're not listening to both at the same time. Your automation will still work okay because it's on the outgoing signal and not the return.

QAPLA!
Old 08-18-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Thanx originalscottyg

I return my summed signal to an AUX in, because I want to work on the mix and I want to use the analog summing as a plug in with automatic delay compensation when I work on the mix.

manually offset of delays is no good option IMO. And the delay depends on the buffer setting, so I have to adjust it every time new when changing the buffer.
BTW, its not possible to set negativ offsets on AUX returns.

But, As I said, I found a solution for ADC of the analog summing and It works absolute perfect :) I will post it the next days. I´m so glad to find this solution.
I'm glad you found a solution that works for you.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:28 AM

Please do post your workaround, I‘d be highly interested!

My main issue is that mix stems are not on the grid,
which makes collaboration a pain.

Being able to do consistent master rides would be really nice too!
Right now I just align and offset by ear, which is a hack job of course.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:58 AM

Oh wow, there's a solution to this??
Old 08-18-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivestudios View Post
Oh wow, there's a solution to this??
I don't think there is or the op would have posted it already. Or he found it doesn't work like he thought it would.

QAPLA!
Old 08-18-2020, 04:07 PM

If we had an audio track implementation like we do for MIDI with "Real-Time Properties" allowing a negative delay while showing elements still snapped to the grid it would be great. (see attached jpg).

It would essentially need to buffer playback for those selected tracks by whatever your desired hardware delay compensation settings are, which is really no big deal in terms of waiting for Pro Tools transport to start. It might make looping a playback range a little difficult to implement smoothly, but I'm sure our friendly programmers at Avid can pull this off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hardware Compensation Test Crop.jpg (44.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-19-2020, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I still don't get why you need to sync up with the audio that's in the session with the return from analog summing - you're not listening to both at the same time. Your automation will still work okay because it's on the outgoing signal and not the return.
I thought I had clearly explained that I have Plug Ins on the "return" aux in my daw. and I automate things like stereo width, volume and parallel compression in the daw on the mixbus.

Is this so difficult too understand. In a modern Mixsituation many mixers mix into the masterbus processing. and a part of this is digital after the analog summing :) and I think it's obvious that the mix should be on the grid for correct automation.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I don't think there is or the op would have posted it already. Or he found it doesn't work like he thought it would.
believe me there is a solution, I tested it and it works :)
and I will explain it the next days. but I am extreme busy at the moment, my english is not perfect for explaining technicals things very fast, so I need a little bit time to do this right.

Frank
Old 08-19-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
I thought I had clearly explained that I have Plug Ins on the "return" aux in my daw. and I automate things like stereo width, volume and parallel compression in the daw on the mixbus.

Is this so difficult too understand. In a modern Mixsituation many mixers mix into the masterbus processing. and a part of this is digital after the analog summing :) and I think it's obvious that the mix should be on the grid for correct automation.
Is your automation on the return or the outgoing? If on the return things being out of sync with the outgoing isn't an issue. This is where you're not clear.

QAPLA!