Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2010, 06:20 AM

Default M Powered & LE on same system?

Hi,
been away a while & lost my profile, but I used to post free Pluggo's here a while back...
Anyway, title says it all; I needed to buy DV Toolkit, so despite being a PTMP owner, I had to also shell out for PTLE too (Toolbox doesn't run on M-Powered ).
To keep costs down, I bought one of the new Mbox Micros - figured I could use it with my MacBook.
But of course, it's got no inputs, so it's not a lot of use for my studio setup.
So the obvious question - can you run PTLE and PTMP on the same system, and if so, any caveats?
cheers
Roger
Old 03-23-2010, 06:04 AM

Default Re: M Powered & LE on same system?

Hi
yes you can. But LE and MP MUST have the same Version number.

For Micro inputs you can try this:
http://www.studiomelange.pl/jk/plugins.html

jk-pipe

gives you 2 audio inputs to record from.
They have aweful latency like 2000 samples
but at lesat you can track something.

I don´t know if it works with the Micro, so some feedback would be nice :)

best
Old 03-23-2010, 01:22 PM

Thanks. That seems to be the case:
I've been trying to install PTLE 8.0, so that I can run the 8.0.3 updater on the machine that already has PTMP 8.0.3 installed on it, and I'm getting the following:
"error.unable.to.co.install.le.later.m" (sic)
Is that Digi speak for, "there is a later version of M-Powered on this machine", by any chance?
So it looks like need to download the full 8.0.3 installer, not just the 8.0.3 updater, which at 4.6 GB looks like being a slow business.
Glad to know it is theoretically possible - though it has just occurred to me that it could all go pear shaped next time I want to update one or other of them...?
I'll check out that plug and let you know how it goes with the micro,
cheers
Roger
Old 03-24-2010, 02:22 PM

So I downloaded and installed PTLE 8.0.3, opened it, loaded a session - kernel panic!
Restarted, tried again - tells me, there's another version running. Forced quit, tried again a couple of times and eventually it opens the session - but the Micro is silent. Meters are showing sound, but nothing out the Micro. Closed PT, tried the Micro as a System output - nothing.
I know the Micro itself is OK, 'cos it plays fine on my MacBook (which doesn't have M-Powered installed) but I can't get any sound out of it on the system with both versions installed. Any suggestions?
The system concerned is an iMac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2.5 GB RAM, btw,
cheers
Roger
Old 03-27-2010, 12:00 PM

Default is it just me, or...

doesn't it seem like it's about time to get rid of this division between pro tools m-powered and le? it seems to do nothing but cause trouble for the users, and possibly even for the programmers as well....

for instance, i have an m-audio firewire 410 and pro tools 7 m-powered. (so to be clear, i have already paid as much or more than someone who owns an mbox 2.) now i would really love to own an mbox 2 micro to take on the road with me -- but for me it's more or less out of the question, because the two versions of pro tools are incompatible. my only option would be to pony up the additional cash to buy *another copy* of pro tools 8 (m-powered) --and put up with the buggy process of installing both copies and making sure they are identically patched--to which i would reply incredulously, "you've got to be kidding me!"

right now it is made extremely difficult for users to use pro tools while simultaneously using digidesign and m-audio hardware--why is that??? if avid/digidesign really want to encourage "synergies" of their products they should be making it easy. the user should be encouraged to buy across the range of avid products, rather than being more or less forced to stick with *just* m-audio or *just* digidesign hardware.

the solution is simple: get rid of pro tools m-powered altogether, and make pro tools le compatible with m-audio products. then sell it stand-alone or bundled depending on the hardware. that sounds like it would be a lot easier for everyone, doesn't it?
Old 03-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoneRoger View Post
So I downloaded and installed PTLE 8.0.3, opened it, loaded a session - kernel panic!
Restarted, tried again - tells me, there's another version running. Forced quit, tried again a couple of times and eventually it opens the session - but the Micro is silent. Meters are showing sound, but nothing out the Micro. Closed PT, tried the Micro as a System output - nothing.
I know the Micro itself is OK, 'cos it plays fine on my MacBook (which doesn't have M-Powered installed) but I can't get any sound out of it on the system with both versions installed. Any suggestions?
The system concerned is an iMac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2.5 GB RAM, btw,
cheers
Roger
Are you trying to run both at the same time? While it's ok to install both, you can't run both at the same time.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:47 AM

No, I wasn't trying to run both at the same time.
The problem of the mute Micro sorted itself out anyway; unplugging it and plugging it back in again brought it's voice back.
I have, however, noticed occasional crackling and pretty poor latency when trying to use virtual instruments.
Also, since first plugging in the Micro to this system, I have had four kernel panics in a little over a week, having gone months without one prior to that. The crash report seems to indicate Digi issues.
In short, I'm less than overwhelmed with the Micro so far, especially considering what I had to pay for it - effectively I'm paying for another PT licence, which I don't really need. For this, I'd expect at least stability and decent audio quality, neither of which I'm getting right now,
cheers
Roger
Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Still getting shedloads of kernel panics - more or less every time I shut down or switch user, and the culprit appears to be the MBox2 driver.
Is it just me?
Anyone from Digidesign (or should that now be Avid?) looking in? I can send you a crash report, if you want...?
cheers
Roger
Old 04-10-2010, 04:34 PM

Make sure are not hot-plugging audio devices. It's a known cause of kernal panics.
PT Mpowered 8.04, Logic 9.1.1
Waves SSL,Omnisphere,Korg Legacy Digital
Absynth 4, EZ Drummer
Project Mix I/O w/ Black Lion Mod
Axiom 61,25, Korg Nano Pad