Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-2012, 07:50 AM
brewboy73 brewboy73 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 27
Default Eleven Rack through Stereo Power Amp

Hi
Need some help. I have the Eleven Rack and I'm running it through a Mesa/Boogie Stereo 50/50 Power amp. I have a stereo 2x12 Mesa Recto cab. I have connected the rack to the amp through the XLR Main outs that are also TRS.
My problem...I keep getting an overdriven, static sound when using high gain. My first though was to back off on the gain, but when I do, the sound gets very thin. I think that I have an issue with the setup on the rack. What would be the best options for the amp/rig inputs and outputs. I was using the amp outs 1 and 2, but switching to the XLR's did help out a bit. I think there is a parameter that I do not have set right. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 13,610
Default

You should be using the main outs not amp1/2, so that seems good. But you will have to play with gain staging to see what sounds best. What are all the Eleven Rack volumes set to? rig and master? What amp sim is being used and what gain etc. settings in that sim? Turn off all other effects to start with.

What do you have the Mesa's power amp level control set to? Does adjusting that make this problem better?

What guitar and pickup are being used? For a test initially unplug the guitar and cable from the front of the Eleven Rack.

What is the firmware revision of the Eleven Rack?

And are you sure what you are hearing is not an authentic type hiss sound from a high gain amp? Can you describe the sound in more detail or provide a sample or example of what it sounded like?

What do you hear with a good pair of headphones in the Eleven Rack?

You should start with the entire cab block and speaker breakup turned off in the Eleven rack. You may find later in fine tuning this that adding some speaker breakup back in to improve the sound (its not intuitive but speaker breakup is independent of whether the cab sim is engaged on not--for just this reason, its a handy tweek to be able to use).

Is the Mesa amp known to work well/sound OK if fed from a valve preamp?

Failing that post online some PT screenshots showing the ER Rig setup and recordings of the sound problems if you can.

Darryl
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-15-2012, 09:18 AM
DAR Fritz DAR Fritz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 130
Default Re: Eleven Rack through Stereo Power Amp

When you say "static" I remember having static issues on my Tele and someone suggested rubbing the pickgauard with a fabric softener dryer sheet. I was sceptical until I tried it, and it worked. This may not be your problem but I thought I'd mention it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 PM
brewboy73 brewboy73 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 27
Default Re: Eleven Rack through Stereo Power Amp

OK, here we go....
I'm using a Gibson Les Paul with Bare Knuckle Pickups. War Pig and Cold Sweat humbuckers. I have turned off all efffects and ran just the dry signal. The sound that I get is really prevalent when you palm mute. I get a very strong crackle sound after I strike the strings while the notes ring out. The boogie power amp is actually set very low. I dont play very loud. Not a need to in my office. The firmware that I'm using is 2.0.1 with build 0.1.5.7. Just bought it a month ago. I was using the Power amp with a Rocktron Chameleon 2000 and it sounded amazing. Really tight through the mesa cabinet. I also use a BBE rack mount sonic maximizer. I have some new TRS cables coming in. I'm hoping that the issue will be solved with better cables. The rig volume is at -4db and I keep the out to amp 1 and 2 at 0. I use the XLR mains anyways. I also keep the cab sim off. Found a great video on youtube on how to cut a lot of the mud with using the parametric eq. Helped a bit and also using one of the distortion pedals as a filter. Thanks for the responses....

Sean
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 13,610
Default Re: Eleven Rack through Stereo Power Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewboy73 View Post
OK, here we go....
I'm using a Gibson Les Paul with Bare Knuckle Pickups. War Pig and Cold Sweat humbuckers. I have turned off all efffects and ran just the dry signal. The sound that I get is really prevalent when you palm mute. I get a very strong crackle sound after I strike the strings while the notes ring out. The boogie power amp is actually set very low. I dont play very loud. Not a need to in my office. The firmware that I'm using is 2.0.1 with build 0.1.5.7. Just bought it a month ago. I was using the Power amp with a Rocktron Chameleon 2000 and it sounded amazing. Really tight through the mesa cabinet. I also use a BBE rack mount sonic maximizer. I have some new TRS cables coming in. I'm hoping that the issue will be solved with better cables. The rig volume is at -4db and I keep the out to amp 1 and 2 at 0. I use the XLR mains anyways. I also keep the cab sim off. Found a great video on youtube on how to cut a lot of the mud with using the parametric eq. Helped a bit and also using one of the distortion pedals as a filter. Thanks for the responses....

Sean
Are you are sure you don't get this when using a real reasonably high gain amp. If you are slapping the strings even gently I'd suspect everything from the guitar cable jack or plug wiring, pickup wiring or faulty pickups themselves. Its hard to think of something specific in the Eleven Rack that would do this. I would spend some time tapping around the pickups with a guitar pick and try wiggling the cable/connectors and see if the noise happens.

If its a mere very gently laying on of fingers will do this then it more sounds like an earthing problem. Possibly your guitar has bad earth wiring to the instrument cable or your Eleven Rack is not plugged into a well earthed outlet.

One final suggestion is make sure the noise gate is not fooling you. e.g. The gate closed and when you hit the string it now opens and you hear what was there before but gated. Do some tests with the noise gate (Amp block second screen in the front panel UI) turned totally off.

Darryl
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 AM
brewboy73 brewboy73 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 27
Default Re: Eleven Rack through Stereo Power Amp

I thought the exact thing with the noise gate. So I shut the gate off completely and got the same results. I switched pickups over from EMG's to Bare Knuckles. The Bare Knuckles are way hotter than the EMG's, but the sounds that I hear are not microphonic. Dont think that the pickups need to be repotted. I should have the new patch cables in a day or two. Really hoping that this will be resolved just from having crappy cables. I'll let everyone know once I get them installed. Thanks again

Sean
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 PM
zedhed's Avatar
zedhed zedhed is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 3,906
Default Re: Eleven Rack through Stereo Power Amp

Have you tried taking the BBE rack mount sonic maximizer out of the signal chain?
__________________
Too much blood in my drugstream

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-16-2012, 06:58 PM
filosofem filosofem is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Christchurch NZ
Posts: 11,864
Default Re: Eleven Rack through Stereo Power Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewboy73 View Post
I have the Eleven Rack and I'm running it through a Mesa/Boogie Stereo 50/50 Power amp. I have a stereo 2x12 Mesa Recto cab. I have connected the rack to the amp through the XLR Main outs that are also TRS.
My understanding is that when running to an Amp you use Amp 1 & 2 with 'Rig Out No Cab' setting. XLR Mains are for studio monitors.
__________________
Aaron Mulqueen - 001 HD Native
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 13,610
Default Re: Eleven Rack through Stereo Power Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
My understanding is that when running to an Amp you use Amp 1 & 2 with 'Rig Out No Cab' setting. XLR Mains are for studio monitors.
No, sorry that's not correct.

He is running to a power amp (that therefore expects line level input - and even has some level adjustment available) not a standard guitar amp that expects instrument level signal that amp 1/ amp 2 outputs provide. Even better its a stereo power amp with a stereo cab so he can just run both main outputs to it. Even even better its a Mesa/Boogie so gotta be good.

Darryl
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-16-2012, 07:12 PM
filosofem filosofem is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Christchurch NZ
Posts: 11,864
Default Re: Eleven Rack through Stereo Power Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
He is running to a power amp (that therefore expects line level input - and even has some level adjustment available) not a standard guitar amp that expects instrument level signal that amp 1/ amp 2 outputs provide.
AMP Out 1 & 2 Signal Rig Output is line level, no?
__________________
Aaron Mulqueen - 001 HD Native
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eleven Rack with a power amp setup YYR123 Eleven Rack 10 01-28-2014 02:40 PM
Eleven Rack Power Plug Jemini Eleven Rack 8 11-10-2012 04:46 PM
Eleven Rack Stereo Delay Trouble scottya macOS 1 03-20-2012 09:11 AM
Eleven Rack Freeze At Power On 8-0 brianiac5150 Eleven Rack 3 11-05-2011 10:48 PM
Eleven Rack with Power Amp Volume killdozer Eleven Rack 7 02-19-2011 04:45 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com