How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
The Leslie, phaser and flanger are on or off, there's no way to adjust the wet/dry ratio to reduce the amount of those effect being used. I find some of them to be very overwhelming.
I never use the phaser or flanger, but use the Leslie all the time.

Try different models for the Leslie. Some of them are way less "in your face" than others.

Experiment with the balance, too.

Finally, try turning off the speaker sim when you engage the Leslie. The Leslie, after all, *is* a speaker...
Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
Finally, try turning off the speaker sim when you engage the Leslie. The Leslie, after all, *is* a speaker...
Leslie 147s, 122s, etc are indeed cabinets, but in this case, I'm thinking in terms of the M13, or even the MM4 before it, where you can adjust not only the horn/bass rotor balance, but also wet/dry mix. Both of those FX work fine in the FX loop, and into a "real" power amp and cabinet. In both cases (and in the 11R for that matter), the Leslie effect isn't supposed to replace your cabinet, but work WITH it... Just saying it would be nice to be able to get just a subtle "shimmer" like I can with the other units, rather than a full-on effect.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
The Leslie, phaser and flanger are on or off, there's no way to adjust the wet/dry ratio to reduce the amount of those effect being used. I find some of them to be very overwhelming.
Is this due to its "we modeled things exactly, warts n all" philosophy maybe?
I've never been a big stomp boxer so have never played with any of the pedal in e 11r.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-31.714035,115.803998
Old 02-10-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza_Boogie View Post
Is this due to its "we modeled things exactly, warts n all" philosophy maybe?
That'd be my take.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:59 AM

How about the true-Z input? Am I right in thinking that I can use the same presets with multiple guitars, and only change the input load accordingly? I have a Carvin DC127 and a Schecter with DG EMG active pickups, and I wonder how I can make 11R presets work with both of them. Of course, the guitars sound different, but level-wise.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
How about the true-Z input? Am I right in thinking that I can use the same presets with multiple guitars, and only change the input load accordingly? I have a Carvin DC127 and a Schecter with DG EMG active pickups, and I wonder how I can make 11R presets work with both of them. Of course, the guitars sound different, but level-wise.

Thanks.
From my own experience the subtle or radical differences between pickups and guitars necessitates individual presets for individual guitars. I use three guitars with my Eleven Rack, a Strat, Les Paul and Variax and the presets (or "rigs" in Eleven Rack) cannot be shared between guitars - actually, they could be shared but the resultant tones are awful - or more appropriately, don't sound "right." The caveat to my experience is that in doing covers each guitar depending on the cover has a particular purpose; the tones are so unique that presets cannot be shared between guitars. I can think of one of my rigs that works between guitars, but the two guitars that can share it (Strat and Les Paul) both have 59's in the bridge and the tone is generally similar, but definitely not the same.

It's my assumption you'll end up with separate rigs for separate guitars. Just like everyone else I assume, I've spent untold hours dialing in rigs; the subtle differences available in the effects and amps is so wonderfully substantial that combined with so much tweaking potentially involved in any sought-after tone it seems likely you'll end up with separate rigs for separate guitars. I could be wrong about that, it'd be interesting to hear other experiences.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidEditor View Post
From my own experience the subtle or radical differences between pickups and guitars necessitates individual presets for individual guitars. I use three guitars with my Eleven Rack, a Strat, Les Paul and Variax and the presets (or "rigs" in Eleven Rack) cannot be shared between guitars - actually, they could be shared but the resultant tones are awful - or more appropriately, don't sound "right." The caveat to my experience is that in doing covers each guitar depending on the cover has a particular purpose; the tones are so unique that presets cannot be shared between guitars. I can think of one of my rigs that works between guitars, but the two guitars that can share it (Strat and Les Paul) both have 59's in the bridge and the tone is generally similar, but definitely not the same.

It's my assumption you'll end up with separate rigs for separate guitars. Just like everyone else I assume, I've spent untold hours dialing in rigs; the subtle differences available in the effects and amps is so wonderfully substantial that combined with so much tweaking potentially involved in any sought-after tone it seems likely you'll end up with separate rigs for separate guitars. I could be wrong about that, it'd be interesting to hear other experiences.
Thanks. Yeah, you're probably right. I once witnessed a dealer demonstrating "how to" get that chicken pickin' sound to a customer. He picked out a Fender '65 Deluxe combo, which I own and love, but then he took a standard Les Paul off the wall. I couldn't help myself - I had to laugh, unappropriately loud.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:41 PM

I may be misunderstanding you, AvidEditor, but from my experience, I've had no problem using the same patches with all of my electric guitars (which include 6 Les Pauls of various sub-species, 2 Teles, a Strat, an RG, and a Variax 500).

I do agree that if I was writing patches to duplicate the guitar sound on a particular recording, I may do that with a specific guitar, and if I later played the song using a radically different guitar, it would sound "not right" (sort of like trying to play "Sweet Home Alabama" on a LP or Ozzy on a Tele).

It may lie in the fact that I don't try to duplicate recorded guitars sounds - I use only three or four rig patches (clean\crunch\drive and derivatives of those) - or it also may be that I understand that each guitar type has its own inherent sound, and I don't expect them to sound the same. With a real amp, you can't change the input impedance with the flick of a switch, and I wouldn't change the amp's settings for each guitar, so carrying the same mindset forward, I don't need different guitar-specific patches on the 11R. On my old "real" rig, I used a very subtle amount of compression (Boss CS-3) at the beginning of my pedalboard, just to compensate for the different output levels of my various guitars. I tried to do the same with the 11R (putting compression at the beginning of the signal chain), but it wasn't the same, so now I'm more or less forced to embrace the differences .

BTW, PT_Lover: regarding the sales guy choosing a LP for "chicken pickin'": A LP is a fine choice if the player knows what he's doing. Not all chicken pickin" is done on a Tele. Remember, one of the best players to ever play that style - Chet Atkins (the Country Gentleman) - played a Gretsch (and later a Gibson) archtop, and don't forget Roy Clarke. And Les Paul himself was pretty good at it too...
Old 02-11-2012, 03:05 PM

Thanks, moff. Well, I guess you had to be there, but it did not sound anywhere close to what the customer asked for.
Glad to hear that you can switch guitars without too much hassle. I read in the manual that true-Z only works with passive pickups, and that 1M is recommended for active ones. I'm pretty close to just buying 11R. Seems to have everything I need, and then some.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I may be misunderstanding you, AvidEditor, but from my experience, I've had no problem using the same patches with all of my electric guitars (which include 6 Les Pauls of various sub-species, 2 Teles, a Strat, an RG, and a Variax 500).

I do agree that if I was writing patches to duplicate the guitar sound on a particular recording, I may do that with a specific guitar, and if I later played the song using a radically different guitar, it would sound "not right" (sort of like trying to play "Sweet Home Alabama" on a LP or Ozzy on a Tele).

It may lie in the fact that I don't try to duplicate recorded guitars sounds - I use only three or four rig patches (clean\crunch\drive and derivatives of those) - or it also may be that I understand that each guitar type has its own inherent sound, and I don't expect them to sound the same. With a real amp, you can't change the input impedance with the flick of a switch, and I wouldn't change the amp's settings for each guitar, so carrying the same mindset forward, I don't need different guitar-specific patches on the 11R. On my old "real" rig, I used a very subtle amount of compression (Boss CS-3) at the beginning of my pedalboard, just to compensate for the different output levels of my various guitars. I tried to do the same with the 11R (putting compression at the beginning of the signal chain), but it wasn't the same, so now I'm more or less forced to embrace the differences .

BTW, PT_Lover: regarding the sales guy choosing a LP for "chicken pickin'": A LP is a fine choice if the player knows what he's doing. Not all chicken pickin" is done on a Tele. Remember, one of the best players to ever play that style - Chet Atkins (the Country Gentleman) - played a Gretsch (and later a Gibson) archtop, and don't forget Roy Clarke. And Les Paul himself was pretty good at it too...
Regarding bolded above, yes, that's what I mean. For example my rig for U2 "Pride" is very different played from guitar to guitar. It doesn't translate. If a tone is narrowed down to specific pickups/pickup positions it won't sound the same from guitar to guitar. I agree with what you said about real amps. One of my favorite amps in the Eleven Rack is the AC30. When I practice, or if it's a song that doesn't need overdrive, I use the AC30 cranked up loud regardless of the guitar.