Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2009, 03:20 AM

Thumbs down Pros and cons of Pro Tools v8, To Upgade to

I have notice all the pros and cons of Pro Tools v8, I would love to gain all the midi editing and so on, however it is just too of a big of a risk because of the following points.

1)It uses more CPU power, and or memory we sitting with XP pro 32bit which means in XP one have memory restrictions. I understand that XP 64bit do not have these memory restriction, well you see our catch 20 situation. I work with lots of virtual instruments which require lost of memory for example BFD2 and others which is memory hungry. Because Digi do not do a 64bit version that leaves me with too many restrictions to go to PTS v8 at this point, I would desperately want to gain that editing, however this would set me back allot which I cannot have or even use properly or even allow my work flow to be disrupted.

2)Will all my current plug-ins work?.... in any event to get all the plug-ins to work again with updates and so on would simply take too much time. The nature of my business and or our business is time and work flow. I cannot afford to spend time on this sort of thing, with me it is all about projects and work flow, basically getting the job done with least effort sufficiently correct with exceptional quality.

3)To go for PTS v8 now would mean when Digi brings out a 64bit version then there would be a total halt to get the new operation system installed and so on, who knows what other issue would be included or would come to the table. Please do not get me wrong, my issue here is not a 64bit issue, however with memory restriction in the current PTS version and even V8. I know it is not a complete PTS issue, however PTS do play a part in this restriction.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Pros and cons of Pro Tools v8, To Upgade to

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre67 View Post
I have notice all the pros and cons of Pro Tools v8, I would love to gain all the midi editing and so on, however it is just too of a big of a risk because of the following points.

1)It uses more CPU power, and or memory we sitting with XP pro 32bit which means in XP one have memory restrictions. I understand that XP 64bit do not have these memory restriction, well you see our catch 20 situation. I work with lots of virtual instruments which require lost of memory for example BFD2 and others which is memory hungry. Because Digi do not do a 64bit version that leaves me with too many restrictions to go to PTS v8 at this point, I would desperately want to gain that editing, however this would set me back allot which I cannot have or even use properly or even allow my work flow to be disrupted.

2)Will all my current plug-ins work?.... in any event to get all the plug-ins to work again with updates and so on would simply take too much time. The nature of my business and or our business is time and work flow. I cannot afford to spend time on this sort of thing, with me it is all about projects and work flow, basically getting the job done with least effort sufficiently correct with exceptional quality.

3)To go for PTS v8 now would mean when Digi brings out a 64bit version then there would be a total halt to get the new operation system installed and so on, who knows what other issue would be included or would come to the table. Please do not get me wrong, my issue here is not a 64bit issue, however with memory restriction in the current PTS version and even V8. I know it is not a complete PTS issue, however PTS do play a part in this restriction.
Im just wondering what kind of an answer do you expect here.
I along with a lot of others are on 8 with very little issues,no more than previous,and with a lot more advantages.
Your using a lot of vi's and you claim you want quality, then your best using the real thing.If I was turning out projects wit nothing but vi's I wouldnt be doing a lot of work,I can assure you.

Its very simple get yourself a new harddrive ten a penny,stop the winging,dig into your pocket,buy pt8 and youl be up and running before you know it,with your old system intact.whats the problem ,in there you will then find an aweful lot of toys that might suit you.
Further more Ive noticed that in you other thread your having a lot of problems with bouncing etc,and you claim its a bug, but let me assure you its not.Take a little time off and think about what might be causing your problems,and youl find that its blatently obvious in your situation.Im probabally being a little bitchy here but its only for your own good.

Go for it buy 8 it wont hurt you and you wont look back. A little bit of advice here,as is the case with any piece of software,KNOW YOUR MACHINE'S LIMITATIONS.

seamus
Old 01-13-2009, 04:38 AM

Why is it that some people including you just jump to conclusions and read between the lines when people post on this Form?

1)Quality is simply related to source, simply put if I work with midi which I do allot then VI’s is used to derive to the best quality one can get considering the platform is midi to start with. The majority uses excellent samples and or loops derive from the real thing in the first place.

2)I do lots of live recording with real instruments and with session musicians too.
These two worlds do derive at quality, you cannot say synthetic VI’s one cannot have nor even gets good quality recording. If you do it right and or properly there would be only a small difference.

The synthetic route is more cost effective we cater for various price brackets; there is for one no session artist fee. Even both are used in conjunction with many albums through the world.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:49 AM

I had planned to upgrade to v8 over this summer. I wanted to do the old "wait for everyone else to work out the bugs" thing.

Well, I kept looking at the new features, especially the playlist view comping feature and the new VI's, and I couldn't help myself. I went for it on.. I think it was Dec 28th.

I have been looking for a downside, believe me, I am usually a glass half full guy, but only half of the time. :)

But so far, I'm not noticing a BIG cpu hit. Any upgrade is going to demand a little more of the system it's running on. And most of the hit I see is because I'm using the new VI's, whereas before, I wasn't using as many VI's cause I didn't have that many good ones. The Mini Grand is really really good. I do wish they threw in a stripped down version of Velvet though. I need me a good electric piano VI.

VI's can be an awesome thing, especially used in combination with re-amping them. Running VI's thru all sorts of different amps and micing them up is wonderful. Bringing them back into the analog world can yield some killer results.

So in a nutshell, I think you should go for it. I'm very pleased with PT8. And dare I say it, it looks nicer too, and that in itself is inspiring in a way. The color coding tracks and channel strips makes working a lot easier and more pleasing. Before PT8, I never ever used the Mix window, I was a 100% edit window guy, but now I use the Mix window all the time.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre67 View Post

Sure, they add features to new releases and in this case, they add a few new plug-ins. They also added what appears to be better memory management.

I, for the first time ever, upgraded on the release date and even with the minor issues would not consider going back to any previous version.

I noticed a performance hit and found it related to my multiple video cards. So I had to re-think the way I ran my monitors. Any remaining CPU hit is negligible.

My clients are using virtual instruments more and more, so along with the upgrade I added MPTK2 and built a new system based on the P5Q, I was down less than 2 days (I allowed for 3) including the time it took to go shopping for parts.

I had a couple of plug-in issues that were addressed by Digi. And even if I had to live with them for a while they would not have been work-stoppers.

Back in the multi-track analog days, it would have taken us way more time and tons more money just to install a new reverb. It never ceases to amaze me that so much can be done at such a comparatively low cost.

We make our living in the studio, and our clients love the latest greatest and they want Pro Tools. Not a single one of them has been unimpressed with PT8.

Please excuse the rant.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Space Cabin Audio

PT8 is great and I find it MORE efficient that 7.4. There are some bugs, but I can run more VI's than I did in 7.4. I don't use BFD so I can not say if it is better or worse. I can run more Hybrid though!
As for the comment about using VI's in relation to getting work? I did not get that one...............

Kris
May the music move you
Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 AM

[/quote]!
As for the comment about using VI's in relation to getting work? I did not get that one...............[/quote]

Taken from my post:
The synthetic route is more cost effective we cater for various price brackets; there is for one no session artist fee.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:50 AM

We use BFD2 a lot. With the memory handling in the latest version, it now uses less resource than ever.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Space Cabin Audio

!
As for the comment about using VI's in relation to getting work? I did not get that one...............[/quote]

Taken from my post:
The synthetic route is more cost effective we cater for various price brackets; there is for one no session artist fee.[/quote]

I meant no disrespect at all Andre. I was trying to figure out what that person meant. I have mixed tons of commercials and cartoons that never once saw a real instrument. I think VI's are great and are now a part of a professional work flow.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 01-13-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris75 View Post
!
As for the comment about using VI's in relation to getting work? I did not get that one...............
Taken from my post:
The synthetic route is more cost effective we cater for various price brackets; there is for one no session artist fee.[/quote]

I meant no disrespect at all Andre. I was trying to figure out what that person meant. I have mixed tons of commercials and cartoons that never once saw a real instrument. I think VI's are great and are now a part of a professional work flow
Tune a singer in song, he sounds like he can sing for a day. Teach a singer to sing and he will sing for life.[/quote]

================================================== =======================================

As per your own last line,thats exactly what I mean. By the way Im only expressing an opinion here. Apart from strike and the mini grand which are even questionable, what do you use for the folowing that even come remotly clos to the real thing not to mention playing them.
Bass, acc gtr, lead, violen, strings, harmonica, steel, mandoline, banjo,dobro,bk vox,accordion, flute ,organ to mention but a few.So I rest my case,In this part of the world you get away with nothing except the real thing played by the real person end of story.And thats where the real power of protools realy comes to life with a lot of enginering expression, but im afraid that doesnt include glorified midi files which sound the same with every one. But then again I suppose like every other software they have to cater for both markets ,Pro and Consumer.
Thats my take on it.
Having said all that I would use reason a lot my self for keyboards but on a different pc for samples and playing in as audio

Seamus

seamus