Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Default Pro Tools over HD?

Hi,
I think this may actually be my first official post on GS despite being a member and finding so much help over the past few months....

The deal...about to buy the mac pro quad core 2.8, and I'm wondering on which direction to take with Pro Tools. I have been a DP user for several years, then moved to Logic also. When i first got a free copy of PT M-Powered with my first little rack (M-audio Fast Track Ultra 8r), I was not expecting much seeing as I'd heard how it was scaled down and didn't have the amount of 'features' as Logic Pro or DP. However when I started using it, the interface screamed out to me! It was an absolute joy to use. I was doing mostly MIDI mockups and also rewiring to my long time score writer Sibelius. Perfect.
So I want to make the right move now. With the new Desktop Mac would it be best to ....
A) record small band setups with M-powered Fast Track then port the session to LE after buying a 003 mixer and Complete Toolkit (I can get the toolkit for $800 off my friend)
or
B) buy a bottom of the line HD1 card (saw one for $1300 on ebay) etc and get in on the bottom of that ladder?

I am by no means an expert on these things, and really just want to get a set up that serves me for many years (apart from the occasional PT upgrades), and allows me not to feel like - damn, but I can do that in DP!!

I've done some research and things start to get shady when trying to get clear answers on HD1 and the benefits over LE.
This is as much about the software for me as it is the gear because as I said apart from my own bands I do mainly MIDI mockups working with video.

Please throw in your ten cents and teach me a thing or three.
I'm also basing my decision on the next few weeks and Avid possibly release of new stuff.
Also, I am obviously aware that from a software standpoint, I am looking at no delay compensation with LE. But is there much else in the software after getting the complete toolkit?

Thank you!
M
Old 09-04-2010, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools over HD?

OR>>>>

C) sell the fast track ultra 8r. Get a digi 003rack+. And then a couple of those cheap Behringer BCF controllers for mixing?

Thanks! M
Old 09-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Oops sorry guys,
I was going to post this on GearSlutz then thought that here would be the best place and just copied it. Sorry if it's a confusing opening!
M
Old 09-04-2010, 03:30 PM

the thing about your option B:

you may find a used core card for $1300, but is it PCI PCI X or PCI E? You'll need a PCI E card for a Mac Pro, and those are far more expensive. Also, you'll need I/O. You can spend from $1500 - $3000 on a used HD interface. Keep in mind, the interfaces are just I/O, so you'll also need preamps (sky is the limit) and a monitoring section, as the interface doesn't have it. Then you'll need the software ($250) and maybe an ilok ($40) plus cables ($150 - $300). Plus any plugin upgrades to get TDM plugs. (??)

The new OMNI interface solves I/O, monitoring, and *some* pres.

Honestly? Wait. The new AVID interfaces aren't the only new thing coming.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 09-04-2010, 07:20 PM

Ah yes,
thanks barstool719 - the cards on ebay that I have been eyeballing are all PCI/PCI-X.
Lowest used PCI-E is $3000. In theory though, as far as power, is this really worth it? It seems LE is the most cost-effective. I will indeed wait and see what the next couple of months bring.
thanks, M
Old 09-04-2010, 08:44 PM

There have been many threads on this, but an important thing to realize is that an HD1 system (1 card) would not be as powerful as you think. to use the equivalent amount of TDM plugins and tracks, you would need more like an HD3 system.

Some people think that if they use an HD1 just for the features and then native processing for the plugins that they will have the best of both worlds, but once again, it doesn't work out that way. From what I understand, it's not just the amount of tracks, but the amount of voices. And they get eaten up pretty fast.

I would definitely stick with LE for now. If you want to buy the Complete Toolkit from your friend, that's a good price. You should have no problem selling it for that price later on if you decide to go HD. I don't think the Complete Toolkit (and the need for it) will be phased out anytime soon.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:01 PM

Yes,
that seems like the most obvious solution, and my friend said the exact same thing about the power of HD1 not necessarily being as powerful as a good up to date LE system.
Maybe i'll buy the toolkit so that I don't miss out, but wait on the new hardware just to be extra safe. I would want to at least be able to work in 96khz seeing as that is what the fast track ultra 8r can work up to. Again, I want to avoid the feeling of down grading. Saying that, I have just had an evening of using the warp function in PT. I just love products that do what they say on the box :)
So easy to use!

thanks all, I think I know what to do now.
M
Old 09-05-2010, 10:57 AM

Well, one important thing to know is that the Complete Toolkit will NOT work with M-Powered, only PT LE interfaces. The Music Toolkit will work with that, but not the DV Toolkit or Complete Toolkit.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezdudenyc View Post
... I was doing mostly MIDI mockups and also rewiring to my long time score writer Sibelius. Perfect.
So I want to make the right move now. ..
Since you are doing video, if it were me, I'd go for the HD-1 system because of the video-centric time savers and advanced automation.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:04 PM

Find a used digi 002 or 003 rack and hold on to your cash. Avid is updating the HD segment soon and the HD cards are going to drop in price. Plus with the HD system you need an interface, monitoring system, pre amps, etc which is a bigger cost.