Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-08-2010, 05:20 AM

Default Goodbye 8.0.4, hello 7.3.1

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm going back to 7.3.1. This is after doing a full record with 8.0.4. IMHO, any version of 8 is not suitable for full band production work (ie professional, getting paid to do so) due to its unresolved issue with cross fades being slow when using beat detective. It is noticeably much slower with many tracks grouped, such as drums. I *suspect* this is because the waveform overviews are 16 bit with PT8 as opposed to 8-bit with PT7. So, there may never be a fix. The slow cross fades are probably inherent with 16-bit waveform overview calculation. So until Pro Tools give you an option when creating a new session to do 8 bit or 16 bit overviews, it won't happen. By then it won't matter anyway, because at the rate Avid adds new features computers will be 10x fast.

Other users with same issue:
http://duc.digidesign.com/archive/in.../t-240247.html (thread where it is confirmed by Digi)
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=260424
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=263593
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=273411
http://duc.digidesign.com/showpost.p...35&postcount=3

I'm on XP, no longer supported after this latest release, neither is MPTK1. Can't keep throwing money around to upgrade computer OS and h/w and hope that Avid comes out with a fix for this issue. My clients pay by the hour.

There went $150 down the toilet. Guess I should have tried the demo. Hard lesson.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Goodbye 8.0.4, hello 7.3.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsunder View Post
Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm going back to 7.3.1. This is after doing a full record with 8.0.4. IMHO, any version of 8 is not suitable for full band production work (ie professional, getting paid to do so)
Yet there are many of us doin so everyday; I hate when people say things such as this; understandably, it isn't what works for u so it is really that simple... I along with many others, including major studio houses, all run PT8 on many different platforms PROFESSIONALLY & GET PAID TREMENDOUSLY with problem on both of those statements...

Like I said, it is very understandable if it is not workin for u & u don't want to have to deal with that, but seriously, jus say that... Many do not need nor even use Beat detective...

& as for XP, I mean how long does 1 expect for that to keep getting support?

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 07-08-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
I along with many others, including major studio houses, all run PT8 on many different platforms PROFESSIONALLY & GET PAID TREMENDOUSLY with problem on both of those statements...

Like I said, it is very understandable if it is not workin for u & u don't want to have to deal with that, but seriously, jus say that... Many do not need nor even use Beat detective...

& as for XP, I mean how long does 1 expect for that to keep getting support?
I should clarify. If you beat detect drums a lot and you are fast at it, then PT8 is probably not for you. And it's not that it is not working just for me. It is not working fast for others. LE, HD, Mac, PC, doesn't matter.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I should clarify. If you beat detect drums a lot and you are fast at it, then PT8 is probably not for you. And it's not that it is not working just for me. It is not working fast for others. LE, HD, Mac, PC, doesn't matter.
Well thatz what meant; that is totally undersstood as I wouldn't want to use anything that would slow me down but there are many who never touch BD that are Pros in Pro houses & elsewhere using PT8...& on the contrary, there are ,amy who do use BD & are PT8...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Well, I use {T8 and have no reason to look back(but, I am one that doesn't use Beat Detective). As a matter of fact, much as I would LIKE to use it, I have never had any success(anyone in Nashville wanna give me a crash course in it?). Maybe if you post a Sandra report, someone here can spot a problem with your system that would make things right with the world(at least with YOUR world)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 AM

I get paid every day and do tons of full band pruductions in PT8. I feel move from XP or any 32-bit system is long overdue. Most of us have budgets for upgrades and equipment, that's why we charge for our studios. But above all, do what works for you.

EDIT: still 7.3.1 was one of my favorites.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com