Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-18-2005, 05:59 AM

Default Can Pro Tools be run WITHOUT windows installation?

I have recently stripped my PC down to its bare necessities, but since upgrading to 6.4 find that the CPU is totally clogged. the PC is a Dell Dimension 8100, bought in 2001, with over 512mb of SDRAM, 1.3mhz intel, Pro Tools LE, etc. With the addition of guitar rig demo and battery, things have gotten much worse.

My question is: do I really need to have windows on this computer? I do not want it connected to the internet, I want to use it exclusively for music production, and the omition of windows would certainly speed things up.

Guidance in this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Can Pro Tools be run WITHOUT windows installation?

You have to have an operating system so everything else will know what to do.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:59 AM

What you really need is a faster computer, or lets put it this way... a bigger, fatter, stronger, processor. 1.3 mhz and 512 ram is not going to cut it with all those samplers you want to run.
And of course... the OS.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:26 AM

which version of Windows are you currently running? You can try the tweak tips over at: www.musicxp.net which might help a little, but essentially the unfortunate part is you need an OS to load any form of program regardless of what it is. the Tweak page will help you get rid of some un-nessecary windows stuff though... You might want to try blackviper.com also for some good tweaks, but I would be cautious on what you disable from blackviper caus it is not meant for audio computers. Just XP tips. *shrugs* Ultimately I would suggest a new computer that will suite your needs better also though. Goodluck
Old 05-18-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:
1.3 mhz and 512 ram
That's a very odd machine combo. Kind of like an old IBM PS/2 with mega RAM. Even my old Wyse was at least 15 MHz. What size floppies and hard drive does it have? I betcha the DaveC test gets -5 tracks.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 05-18-2005, 11:46 AM

kinda almost makes ya want to break out the 5 inch floppies... j/k
Old 05-18-2005, 12:33 PM

thanks for the responses thusfar. I figured as soon as i posted this morning that I need the OS to do anything on the pc;

the actual cpu is a Pentium IV 1300Mhz, 1.28Ghz (x86 family), 640Mb of Ram. 37GB Hard drive (maxtor). I have applied all the tricks listed elsewhere on the forum, that's what I mean when referring to stripped down to its minimum.

What I am considering is to wipe my hard drive clean and start over, but also add a second hard .drive and possibly max out on ram.

I am not a pro, not by a long shot, but I do need this machine to work better if I am going to get better.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:29 PM

You should be able to get a workable situation with that machine. I used to run PTLE on a PIII 600 Mhz and that worked. I suggest you reinstall windows and ptle, and dont install any other program. If i recall right i was able to get 13 tracks on the DaveC test...

Bastiaan
Old 05-18-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Can Pro Tools be run WITHOUT windows installat

I don't think I've ever disagreed with you, Bastiaan.

As a former P3/PT user myself, I'd agree that he COULD have a workable system as well, until he says "the addition of guitar rig demo and battery"..., etc.

All that stuff is pretty much going to leave him with 6.x, and I just don't see a lot of hope there.

Now that system, tweaked, with PT 5.3 could be very stable, if you were hoping for a solid, audio multitrack without a lot of software goodies.
But 6.4 is so much heavier an application than what we were using with P3's (Win98, 5.1/XP 5.3), and then add the heavy new plugs... I'm not as hopeful as you.
I'd have to recommend a system upgrade.

Course, as always, I could be FOS.

I still have a system drive with 5.3 loaded up on a drive tray, by the way. Every now and then I pop it in.
The difference, on the same hardware, between 5.3 and 6.4 is really stark.
Like the Tortoise and the Hair.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:03 PM

as far as guitar rig goes, I only played around with the demo thusfar. I came to realize that most of the plug-ins that can be used within the pro tools environment hog PC resources. I am not convinced I need guitar rig per se. I would probably be better off with a Line 6 pod and funnel that into the mix.

I guess the bottom line for me is that this technology advances so rapidly that for a normal guy it is almost impossible to keep up with it, especially financially. So for now, even though 001 WONT SEE anymore development, I will have to use it; maybe if I am in luck next year I may be able to upgrade to 002, but that still means I need a better computer, built for this purpose. cha ching!