Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-01-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Look for CD recording sites...let me explain more.

The art of recording fascinates me. I just read about 5 pages of how Talk Talk's "Spirit of Eden" and "Laughing Stock" were recorded. I am wondering, is there a site on the net where people discuss all the recording techniques used in professional artists CDs? Or maybe a book?

Thanks. I ordered Bob Katz book, but amazon wont ship for a month or so... arg..
=-Ben
Old 09-01-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Look for CD recording sites...let me explain more.

Sorry I can't help you with your question, but could you post the link to the Talk Talk artcle? I'd love to read that...

Thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 03:22 PM

Having said that you could try this: Classic Tracks articles at Sound on Sound
Old 09-01-2004, 03:44 PM

Sure thing. I printed the articles up and read them at home last nite, in actuallity there is probably about 10 - 20 pages on information for the recording of the last three off Talk Talks albums(Colour, Spirit, and Laughing) and then some info form Mark himself on "Mark Hollis" the CD.

K, this is Phill Brown discussing the making of "Laughing" "Spirit" and "Mark Hollis":

http://users.cybercity.dk/~bcc11425/IntWWpb1198.html

And this is a site with TONS of interviews with Mark Hollis, the later interviews basically are him talking about the making of "Mark Hollis"

http://users.cybercity.dk/~bcc11425/Interviews.html

great site, its called:
Within Without

http://users.cybercity.dk/~bcc11425/
Old 09-02-2004, 05:22 AM

Hey Ben,

Not sure if it would totally help you with learning famous artists cd techniques, but I imagine most of the following would apply as it is all based off good sound engineering principles.

Try:

www.tapeop.com (free recording magazine that has interviews with some of the greats out there that have paved the way for recording and has a lot of techniques.)

You could try Mix and Re-Mix magazines. I just scored a nice sized box of old edition ones that have a lot of interviews with famous people from a local engineer that didn't want them anymore. I actually hooked up with them through posting for my local area on www.freecycle.org in the local group.

www.homerecordingconnection.com has a great article section that describes a lot of techniques and details about recording and sound principles.

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html is a great site for learning details about sound principles and techniques.

You could also try a book called Modern Recording Techniques which is somewhat the recording bible for a lot of audio courses out there now days. I think you can find it on Amazon.com or in any of your local book stores most of the time.

Just a few off the top of my head that I have found beneficial. If I come across any more, I will post them. peace

Charlie
Old 09-02-2004, 07:17 AM

Thanks, Mr. Penguin. Yeah, I already get TapeOp, it is essential reading. I guess the reason I wanted to learn the "ins and outs" of Famous CD's is just because some of them have some really interesting history.

Take for instance those talk talk CD's I was talking about earlier. one of the whole CD's(Laughing Stock) was recorded with a stereo pair of Mics, and thats it. They have a 10 x 10 room(or whatever), pair of stereo mics in the corners, and each artist went into the room individually, and they set the artist to stand in a similar position to where he would be if it was stage setup for a live show, and they just recorded that person right there. Even drums were just recorded from those two mics up front.

After about 30 different musicians, they cut the tracks they didnt want, and that was it. There was no EQ'ing, no compression, just what you hear on the CD.

Interesting no? I guess if you havent heard the CD it wouldnt matter. Phenominal CD.

=-Ben
Old 09-02-2004, 09:29 AM

whoa, that is a very interesting approach to micing instruments for an album. Sounds like it might work pretty well for a jazz combo or something especially. Just goes to show that there is no limit to creativity and that it never hurts to try any idea's when you are recording.

I once heard that the engineers (I think it was for Led Zepplin) took a guitar amp and put one mic against the grill, one mic back in the room, and then 1 or 2 mics in the back of the cab with the cab laid flat on the floor for an overdub or something off the wall like that. It creates a lot of bass with the main part of the cab facing the floor like that when you record the back of the cab for the overdub, but if you mix it in I noticed a really cool ambient texture when I tried it. hehe

Well, goodluck on the search for more websites. Someone should start a forum for engineers to post in about that kind of stuff somewhere.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:42 AM

Yeah, I was thinking about a website for soemthing like that to create if my search came up empty

Hey, I was looking for you Mr. Penguin. I downloaded some of your music. very interesting. But, for the life of me, I couldnt figure out who Charlie Aenbeck was... Now I see it is you!

=-Ben
Old 09-02-2004, 10:24 AM

good deal, yeah that would be cool to start a website like that for everyone to post in. I have also found some pretty interesting stories over at futureproducers.com if you would like any good reads.

As for my tunes, very cool and Thanks. Which ones did you check out? Do you have any tunes online also man? I am always up for checking out peoples work also if you do. peace

Charlie
Old 09-02-2004, 01:05 PM

yeah, a lot of my stuff can be found at

www.agenda-entropy.com/duc.htm

I think the sit eis still up. Ive been revamping it...so...

=-Ben

Oh, I d/loaded Space Drone and Summerday.