Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-22-2017, 01:52 PM

Default MacBook Pro requirements for PT12

Hello Everyone,

I'm getting a 2015 Macbook Pro and will be running PT 12 on it.

The Macbook I'm looking at is the standard one with,
2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based onboard SSD

I am told by Mac sales that this will sufficiently run PT12. Other than an audio interface, is there anything else I will need to produce high quality audio recordings from my digital piano and through mics for my flute and other instruments?

Cheers

Rob
Old 11-22-2017, 02:35 PM

Default Re: MacBook Pro requirements for PT12

MB Pro specs look fine (have one myself and it works a treat) you'll want to get yourself a good quality Thunderbolt external drive especially as your system drive is so small. Keep your system drive (internal SSD) for OS and apps and store EVERYTHING else - samples, sessions, videos etc - on the external drive, a standard 7200 rpm spinner will suffice or you could opt for external SSD if you have the $.

Good luck
Old 11-22-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJKennedy View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm getting a 2015 Macbook Pro and will be running PT 12 on it.

The Macbook I'm looking at is the standard one with,
2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory
256GB PCIe-based onboard SSD

I am told by Mac sales that this will sufficiently run PT12. Other than an audio interface, is there anything else I will need to produce high quality audio recordings from my digital piano and through mics for my flute and other instruments?

Cheers

Rob
hi Rob, can you afford to get the larger SSD Drive ?? 512GB at least .. i have a 2014 with 512GB and i have 178 GB left .. it adds up quick .. if this was just for PT / audio work maybe .. i do have my email and things on this ..

i also have a 256GB SSD in Macpro (audio / video work Only) and i have to keep an eye on what i have on that drive .. i will be upping that to 512GB soon ..

1TB if you can !!!

that said, you can change these drives out later .. so you could do that route ..

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 11-22-2017, 02:44 PM

MKe sure it's NOT High Sierra as many plugins and software has issues and Avid haven't qualified PT12 and will probably take a while until thats working.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-22-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF Media View Post
MB Pro specs look fine (have one myself and it works a treat) you'll want to get yourself a good quality Thunderbolt external drive especially as your system drive is so small. Keep your system drive (internal SSD) for OS and apps and store EVERYTHING else - samples, sessions, videos etc - on the external drive, a standard 7200 rpm spinner will suffice or you could opt for external SSD if you have the $.

Good luck
Actually an ssd isn't all that expensive anymore. A Samsung 850EVO in 1 TB is $300 at B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_1tb_2_5.html . You'll need an enclosure for that though. There's this USB3 bus powered one from B&H at $10.40 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._0_to_2_5.html

Don't forget to budget for monitor speakers. Good ones that won't break the bank are JBL LSR305's or the bigger LSR308's ($400 the pair at Sweetwater).

QAPLA!
Old 11-22-2017, 03:42 PM

Default MacBook Pro requirements for PT12

I would absolutely max out the internal drive as much as you can afford. That NVMe SSD is significantly faster than external SATA based drives. And removes any need for carrying around external drives if everything can fit internally.

If you do go external, I would look at the Samsung T5, which is USB 3.1 Gen 2, which you can’t fully exploit with USB 3.0, but you get pretty close... and likely not worth going Thunderbolt for SATA SSDs, and Thubderbolt 2 is a bit of a yawn for NVMe SSDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-22-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:28 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I hear you all about the drive size. My PC has 2T and I never get close to using half that up, but 256G is small, especially as something like a set of East West VIs are up to 100G of sounds.

I have a set of Samson Mediaone BT3s monitors, and they are just OK. Best part is probably their Bluetooth ability, but as my "studio" grows, I'll get better mons.

Thanks for the links on the SSDs. As a Mac newbie, you'll have to excuse my ignorance, but do non-Thunderbolt external drives work with a Mac? I've got a few already, such as a portable Seagate Slim 1G, and and a WD My Cloud 2G, but it needs power through DC, no USB power.

The OS is, High Sierra, is that an issue with PT12?

I am also looking at the 2017 Macbook Pro, but not having any USBs or a card reader, I see that as an issue, especially as most of my music is saved onto an SD from my Roland FA-08, and other gear.

I assume I would have to buy a suitable card reader and an adapter for Thunderbolt to USB if I went with the 2017 Macbook Pro?

Thanks again for all the help, I need it.

Cheers

Rob
Old 11-22-2017, 09:43 PM

All the Macs being discussed will work with just about any HDD or SSD you can connect to them... USB 2, USB 3/3.1, Firewire 400 (via adapter), Firewire 800 (via adapter), SATA (via an adapter), Thunderbolt, PCIe/NVMe (via an adapter), etc. But old drives are likely so slow with a new fast shiny computer you probably want a SSD for anything but archives/backups.

Uh the 2017 MacBook Pro does have USB. The 15" models have 4 x USB Type C ports that provide USB 3.1 Gen 2. The 2015 15" MacBook Pro has USB 3.0 aka USB 3.1 Gen 1 in USB Type A ports.

Those USB Type C ports also carry Thunderbolt 3 and video and power. Apple's USB Type-C to Type-A adapter cable is $19. Or get a Thunderbolt Dock like the OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock (which gives USB 3.0 only not USB 3.1 Gen 2). https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/dock...derbolt-3-dock

I would go for the 2017 MBP (I have the previous model, very similar) because of their USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 support. As well as very fast up to 2TB internal PCIe/NVMe SSD.... if you can survive the sticker shock on that SSD... but it's stunningly fast. My main complain of the newer MBP is 16GB DRAM is a bit low for the high price, and the touchbar is more PITA than useful.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:47 PM

Those portable drives you mention are ... sorry but just crap and should "maybe" if I strech it used as storage. NOT AUDIO OF ANY KIND! WD are 5400rpm or less and your other one is almost certainly worse. Get rid of those for real and get something proper. You can't half-azz the gear with Pro Tools or you will be here more often than making any sound with the poeces you have.

If you can not afford a thunderbolt external chassie as those do cost some $ thenget a WDC Black spinner 7200 rpm in a USB3 ... tepeat USB3 external chassie for now. The Deltaco ones work and are less than $20.

And for High Sierra I have that on my brrand spanking new MBP I purchased a few days ago for a job outside of the studio and both our MBP's are from 2013/2014 and this new MBP is amazeballs BUT Avid has NOT supported HS yet so it is a warning to you. I know what to do when issues come up (mostly) but having an unsupported configuration which also has its niggles isn't a great start for you. Be aware that ypu will have some issues if you try running PT 12.8.2 on HS.

I kitted it out with the most onecould get as I know that 256 or 512 GB drive will get to 75-80% quick if you don't have afew external drives come along. You know to never run your internal hard drive up to more than 78-80% ALL IN so in reality you only have 200-ish GB left and then the High Sierra takes a lot and all other crap Apple install so if you can't go 512GB or better then WAIT until you Can afford better. That is the best advice I ever got back in 2013 from Darryl Ramm here when we bought our MBP's. He knows this drive stuff like a NASA Tech so if he says get "that option" .. well then Get That Option

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-23-2017, 02:20 PM

This can all sound quite daunting for a new Mac user but do it right first time and you'll have(hopefully) years of trouble free music making.

to distill it down...

256gb system drive is TINY. You'll get away with it if the machine will ONLY be used to run PT and NOTHING else.

The internal Flash Storage Apple use is SUPER fast AND AFAIK, soldered to the mother board so not an easy upgrade down the track.

Whether you go 512 or 1tb for the system drive, an external drive of some sort is DEFINITELY a good idea especially if (as you mentioned) you work with large sample libraries.

Lastly, ask yourself do you really need a laptop? You'll get much better "bang for Buck" with a desktop, especially as for as ram goes! If you're running any sort of VI that utilises samples, you need lots of ram, 16gb is OK, 32gb is better.

Listen to the guys on this forum, they've likely made all the mistakes and have learned from experience, as a Mac newbie it may be tempting to chuck your hands in the air and say, "F*ck it, she'll be right" but believe me, you'll open up a world of frustration! PT works great IF you follow the buying guide and optimisations found on this forum.

For what it's worth, I recently built a new MacBook Pro system for a client, he had the money to spend and went to 1tb system drive, after everything was installed there really wasn't a lot of space left on the internal flash storage, as already mentioned, it's a good idea to ALWAYs leave a good 25% of any drive as free space and back up/clone often, as far as external storage goes I used an OWC Thunderbolt dock (already mentioned, google Macsales.com) and a Lacie external 4TB thunderbolt/USB3 enclosure partitioned into seperate volumes for Samples, audio and anything else that wasn't an app and could be stored externally, trust me, don't skimp on this part, it's VITAL to smooth operation,

Finally, I have to agree with Daryl re the touch bar on the new MBPro, apart from the fingerprint recognition ( which is great when installing a bunch of stuff and not having to repeatedly type your password ) it's not of much use for audio.

Hope this helps.