Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2015, 10:25 AM

Default iMovie to Pro Tools

I keep on trying to import a project from iMovie to Pro Tools but whenever I do, it says Invalid Video Media File. I've tried converting the file to QuickTime, but that just keeps popping up
Old 04-06-2015, 11:15 AM

Default iMovie to Pro Tools

You are trying to import a project or import the saved video? What exactly are you doing and what exactly are all the parameters. Are you using "Export to QuickTime" in iMovie or doing something else? QuickTime" is far from enough information for anybody to know what kind of video file you have. What CODEC are you using and all other export parameters? What exact version of iMovie and Pro Tools?
Old 04-06-2015, 01:38 PM

Default Re: iMovie to Pro Tools

Yeah, I'm trying to import the saved video. I'm going from File>Share>File>Next>Movie folder and saving it there, but it says that the media file is not valid. I've been able to import videos to ProTools before (I think I have ProTools 11) but I cannot remember exactly how I did it
Old 04-06-2015, 02:44 PM

If you have saved your imovie project to Quicktime video, you should be able to import that into Pro Tools with the option of importing the audio or not. You can't import video from the imovie project icon if that is what you are trying to do.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie17 View Post
Yeah, I'm trying to import the saved video. I'm going from File>Share>File>Next>Movie folder and saving it there, but it says that the media file is not valid. I've been able to import videos to ProTools before (I think I have ProTools 11) but I cannot remember exactly how I did it
Oh yes I forget recent versions of iMovie have been dumbed down to near uselessness. But still you export to file in iMovie and File>Import in Pro Tools it should just work. If you inspect the file exported from iMovie (get file info on that .mp4 file) what format do you see, I hope AAC/H.264.

Do these files play OK in QuickTime?

Can you import any of the source video content into Pro Tools? And what format are those video files in?

Pro Tools > About Pro Tools will tell you what verion you have.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Oh yes I forget recent versions of iMovie have been dumbed down to near uselessness. But still you export to file in iMovie and File>Import in Pro Tools it should just work. If you inspect the file exported from iMovie (get file info on that .mp4 file) what format do you see, I hope AAC/H.264.

Do these files play OK in QuickTime?

Can you import any of the source video content into Pro Tools? And what format are those video files in?

Pro Tools > About Pro Tools will tell you what verion you have.
I actually got it to work by importing a video through just my webcam, but now I can't seem to export it onto youtube or to a format that will import to youtube!