Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2003, 01:23 PM

Default ProTools 6.1 and AV Option XL!

Anyone using AV XL with internal IDE or Firewire 400 or 800?

Do I have to buy a SCSI chain just for the video.
I use firewire only for audio and would like to keep SCSI free!

Possible?
Old 07-14-2003, 01:33 PM

Default Re: ProTools 6.1 and AV Option XL!

hi

wow
i'm in the same boat
i have a Mix + system with a Glyph Trip SCSI

i'm pretty sure that i'll need a new SCSI card
but if i could only get by with Firewire that would be great.

i also have the SDI uncompress video option
but will do only 30 seconds to 1 minute tops
with a digibetacam.

also will like to go PT6

any help would be appreciated
thanks,
Charles
Old 07-14-2003, 08:23 PM

Don't know about AVXL, but I tried to use Firewire 400 with AVBV on a Mix plus and all it did was crash the computer. Wouldn't work at all. I find the internal IDE is best for video. Keeps the SCSI chain free for audio. I usually play back source material on one SCSI bus and record on the other. This works pretty reliably. However, I am doing film re-recording, so a music multi-tracking session may have completely different needs. Oh, and this is with PT 5.1.3 and OS 9.2.2

rcm
Old 07-15-2003, 12:53 AM

I am just completing a complete film with music, sound design, and post production (foley, adr etc). I jumped into ProTools 6 on the project with my crew and it worked extremely well. I keep all of my studio macs uncluttered of extraneous programs that are not useful in the studio environment. Some of the g4's we have here are used to just do certain tasks like DVD authoring and Photshop. Invoicing and MS Word do not seem to be a problem as well as email and internet.
I had a dedicated HD with PT 5.3....on it and ended up never wanting to go back to it after using PT 6 for so long which has been about three months or so. I found going back to 5.3 was a real drag! But, that's just me.
BTW no crashes in OSX for over 2 months with PT6.
I recommend Norton Utilities update Version 8 which just started to ship about 2 weeks ago and also Disk Warrior for OSX. Both can boot OSX from the CD's and then you can look and repair all of those kernel panics symptoms.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 07-30-2003, 06:02 AM

IDE makes it crash under OS X
Old 08-01-2003, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Helgonet:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i'm building a new HD system and integrating my XL. I used avxl on firewire and ide with OS 9.22 (even though it was not 'approved') I captured to firewire OR used the Avid Meridian OMF's on firewire or ide. My atto card occupied its slot but i didn't use it.

I really DON"T want to go back to scsi.... ON the other hand I am building an Iso Rack system so If I must use those screaming bays and drives I will. With Reluctance

I really like the XL, BUT am considering losing it for a Canopus box. WHY? to stay firewire, release a PCI slot. Have QUICKTIME compatabiliity again. (I really miss the bounce to movie option) Perhaps Digi's new XL replacement will solve these issues. They never seem forthcoming with QT compatability, but I thought I read a release that the new (is it's name V10?) will work with many file formats. If that's true I will upgrade to it.

On the last hand when working on a film that can generate Meridian files, the picture never looks better. And that's worth the price of admission as an 'impression' factor when the director watches.

more than a few cents. i will let you know if i crash by avoiding the screaming scsi monsters.....
scott
Old 08-01-2003, 08:21 AM

Maybe you dont know about the new V10?
Firewire AVoptionXL from digidesign shipping soon?

http://www.digidesign.com/news/details.cfm?story_id=56
AVoption|V10
Digidesign's new AVoption|V10 is a professional 10-bit video I/O peripheral that is fully compatible with Avid's new Media Composer Adrenaline media and provides high quality projection in the highest profile environments. Adding AVoption|V10 to a Pro Tools TDM system will enable real-time playback of Avid video directly within the Pro Tools application.

AVoption|V10 can play back any resolution of video content that can be created by a broad range of Avid products, past and present, including Media Composer Adrenaline. Video resolutions include uncompressed standard definition video and DV25, as well as Avid's AVR and JFIF compression formats. Because AVoption|V10 works with the same video files as those on an Avid system, bringing a project into a Pro Tools TDM / AVoption|V10 system will be as easy as importing an AAF sequence.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by majortracks2:
Maybe you dont know about the new V10?
Firewire AVoptionXL from digidesign shipping soon?

http://www.digidesign.com/news/details.cfm?story_id=56
AVoption|V10
Digidesign's new AVoption|V10 is a professional 10-bit video I/O peripheral that is fully compatible with Avid's new Media Composer Adrenaline media and provides high quality projection in the highest profile environments. Adding AVoption|V10 to a Pro Tools TDM system will enable real-time playback of Avid video directly within the Pro Tools application.

AVoption|V10 can play back any resolution of video content that can be created by a broad range of Avid products, past and present, including Media Composer Adrenaline. Video resolutions include uncompressed standard definition video and DV25, as well as Avid's AVR and JFIF compression formats. Because AVoption|V10 works with the same video files as those on an Avid system, bringing a project into a Pro Tools TDM / AVoption|V10 system will be as easy as importing an AAF sequence.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah, but i am GUESSING there is no quicktime support. If you fo to avid's site and look at Adrenaline you'll see support for legacy formats that are AVID. I just don't see any mention of quicktime support. Naturally this is all speculation. That little mojo looks kinda cool....
Old 08-11-2003, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Helgonet:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">VERY PRELIMINARY TESTING BUT -

I installed 6.1 and AVXL. on a new G4 mirrored dual 1.25. with 1.5 Ram.

I DID NOT instal the atto card. The XL card is in the far pci slot. I have a WD 180 2nd drive. System 10.2.6

I transferred an Meridian based 24 frame OMF picture file onto the WD and it played back just fine. It is a 15 minute reel. I have NOT loaded a bunch of tracks with it yet, nor have i tried to lock it up to incoming TC. I will keep testing this week. BUT IT WORKS ON THE INTERNAL DRIVE so far.

ONE REALLY WEIRD problem. AVXL installs an Extension called PHOENIX.x(kext?) and on reboot of the system an Apple Message says this is a "security issue) I believe this file reverts to a 1969 date. I am guessing one of those 'apple security fix' files is reading this file. I searched Answerbase but nada.

I started from scracth 3 times this weekend (scratch = init disk HFS+) and finally the Apple message seemed to go away. Before it went away it offered 3 choices. FIX (one time i tried it but my own Administration password didn't do it) DON"T USE was choice 2 but it also said that any program associated with it would not run. and FIX and USE. So I would like to know if anyone else has seen this.

I have rebooted several times since and it hasn't popped up. I noticed that it APPEARS you can have a quicktime movie file if you boot without the breakout box turned on. That seems cool. DIGI, would a second video card IGNITER work as an option in this case???????

(i will read the docs. So far I have not read much)

peace
scott