Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-18-2015, 10:20 AM

Default Thunderbolt issue

Hey there,
I recently found something on Avid's site (see link below) that really made me pause. I want to know if this issue has been addressed in Protools 12. It has not been addressed in the latest update to protools 11. If you cannot have more than 2 thunderbolt devices plugged in at once then how does Protools HD with an OMNI thunderbolt interface supposed to work with a new Mac Pro when you need to use thunderbolt for the displays?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Mac-computers

I have done everything in the general troubleshooting thread, but I still get the errors stipulated in the link above. The only way to make this work is to unplug the OMNI from my setup which defeats the purpose of having it. Has this bug been addressed in Protools 12? The whole future of my setup depends on Protools working with a new Mac Pro. What is the point of getting either if Protools only works properly with 1 thunderbolt device hooked up? Please advise!

My current system -
MacBook Pro 10,1
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
OS 10.8.5
Protools 11.3.1
16 GB RAM
OMNI with Thunderbolt in one thunderbolt port
2 thunderbolt displays in the other thunderbolt port (with firewire hard drives chained to the displays)
Old 07-22-2015, 05:59 PM

Post Re: Thunderbolt issue

The Mac Pro has three Thunderbolt buses (2 ports per bus). Hopefully this is a per-bus limitation and not a whole computer limitation. I have no way of testing this to find out.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Thunderbolt issue

I have a trashcan MP and have hd native thunderbolt, a Thunderbolt Display, a thunderbolt to FireWire, a thunderbolt hard drive and a AJA t tap thunderbolt to sdi box all hooked up and working at the same time, no issues.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 07-22-2015, 11:24 PM

It's a per-bus limitation, apparently, but it also says id you have 96k (or greater) session then the HDN box must be the only one. So, as my MBP has two I have just deficated one of them for it and not think about it any longer.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It's a per-bus limitation, apparently, but it also says id you have 96k (or greater) session then the HDN box must be the only one. So, as my MBP has two I have just deficated one of them for it and not think about it any longer.
Where did you see a reference to sample rate? The page pablo2 linked (http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Mac-computers) doesn't make any mention of the issue being related to sample rate, just that it can be resolved by increasing the hardware buffer size/duration.

[EDIT:] The reason I ask is that we're successfully using multiple TB devices on our nMP, but we work exclusively at 48k. If the problem is only evident at 96k it would explain why it may be an issue for some people but not others.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:19 AM

Only 48k here as well.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 07-23-2015, 10:27 AM

How about a readme file, don't people read them anymore?

But with that said; I double-checked, it actually says that the TB box must be the only one with sampling rates above 96k and it has just been me to keep some safety margin. So as per readme doc up to 96k should be okay using two TB boxes, two being maximum supported.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
How about a readme file, don't people read them anymore?
The tone of your answer to what I thought was a simple question is noted. I shan't bother you in the future.

Apologies for my apparent ignorance.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:13 PM

Sorry about the tone. Use some eq for less talented artists, then compress a little
Old 07-23-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo2 View Post
Hey there,
I recently found something on Avid's site (see link below) that really made me pause. I want to know if this issue has been addressed in Protools 12. It has not been addressed in the latest update to protools 11. If you cannot have more than 2 thunderbolt devices plugged in at once then how does Protools HD with an OMNI thunderbolt interface supposed to work with a new Mac Pro when you need to use thunderbolt for the displays?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Mac-computers

I have done everything in the general troubleshooting thread, but I still get the errors stipulated in the link above. The only way to make this work is to unplug the OMNI from my setup which defeats the purpose of having it. Has this bug been addressed in Protools 12? The whole future of my setup depends on Protools working with a new Mac Pro. What is the point of getting either if Protools only works properly with 1 thunderbolt device hooked up? Please advise!

My current system -
MacBook Pro 10,1
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
OS 10.8.5
Protools 11.3.1
16 GB RAM
OMNI with Thunderbolt in one thunderbolt port
2 thunderbolt displays in the other thunderbolt port (with firewire hard drives chained to the displays)
Working fine on my system. No errors at all with multiple devices on the same buss. See my sig below for my hardware. I've even tried daisy chaining my OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and my OWC Helios TB 2 together and it didn't matter which order they were in it way stable either way. I find the thunderbolt technology very stable.