Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2009, 06:38 AM

Default Using Multiple Monitors in PT8

I just upgraded to Pro Tools 8, and it won't let me drag the edit or the mix windows to my second monitor. And since i installed it, I've been having the same problem with other programs too such as Firefox and iTunes.

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

JM
Old 08-27-2009, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Using Multiple Monitors in PT8

Are u stretching the main window of PT before opening anything?.. Stretch that & then open a session, move the windows where u want, of course they CAN'T be on maximize mode, & after that, close the session using alt/f4
(or option/f4)...
I'm PC but I believe it's the 1st choice I put down...

edit: & Welcome to the DUC!!!

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 08-27-2009, 07:07 AM

Sound like that is an OS based problem rather than a Pro-Tools one as it also affecting firefox and itunes.

I know it sounds simple but....
Have you checked your monitor configuration in your system preferences, got the latest compatible Mac OS combi update, got the latest compatible cs updates for Pro-Tools, also updates for firefox and iTunes??

A
Old 08-27-2009, 07:21 AM

Well actually, the alt/f4 thing would work for any type window, itunes, firefox, etc...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 08-27-2009, 07:27 AM

On a Mac system it is possible to set the window to max mode and it will only occupy the monitor it is placed on. Also all monitor configurations tend to be managed from the apple menus 'system preferences'.

Sounds like another one of the many OS differences between PC and Mac has rearer its head.

A:)
Old 08-27-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ace1 View Post
On a Mac system it is possible to set the window to max mode and it will only occupy the monitor it is placed on.

A:)
Rite, thatz on any system actually... What I speak of is when ur not in max mode, hence the reason I said earlier to make sure it's not in Max mode, then u can stretch it... Personally, I wouldn't want to stretch an itunes or web window across both my screens but thatz just me...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 AM

Me no Know PC well

Old 08-27-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrenna View Post
I just upgraded to Pro Tools 8, and it won't let me drag the edit or the mix windows to my second monitor. And since i installed it, I've been having the same problem with other programs too such as Firefox and iTunes.

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

JM
Open your System Preferences panel (there should be an icon in the Dock, or you can choose it from the Apple Menu), Select Displays from the Hardware row and from there select the Arrangement tab. Make sure your monitors are positioned where you need them. You can drag them around in that Arrange window. (You set which monitor is your main monitor by dragging the menu bar to it in the Displays panel.)

For instance, I have my 23" Cinema Display as my main display on the left (with the menu bar) and a 22' Acer wide screen display as the second screen on the right, with the top of that screen aligned to the level of the menu bar. In Pro Tools (and DP) I use my main screen for tracks/edit and the other for the mixer -- I simply dragged the mixer window to the second screen. (Open a session or create a new one, type Command + = to switch between the Edit and Mix windows, drag them and resize them to your heart's content) If you save the file, Pro Tools will remember the window positions the next time you open the program.

The tips about stretching the PT window across both screens only pertains to Windows; the Mac doesn't work in the same way...

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Old 08-27-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmansfield View Post
The tips about stretching the PT window across both screens only pertains to Windows; the Mac doesn't work in the same way...
Gotcha'... Though I seem to recall explain this to another Mac user(the PT window thing) & that got them going... but OK

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY