How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-14-2017, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Noobie Looking For Threads About Setup Best Practices

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Hate to say it but you're fooling yourself when installing programs on anything other than your c: drive. What Steinberg and Softube programs are you talking about? Windows tends to get real snotty if you don't follow normal installation procedures.
central folder for VSTplugins that apps can scan so i don't have vstplugins scattered about.

your correct about Windows apps often being snotty say, vs a MAC.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:36 PM

Good stuff!! Def checking these out!
Old 03-14-2017, 01:43 PM

I have a question as well!

I'm experimenting with templates, and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on building one?

So far, I've made one for hip-hip, and house music.

I set mine up with markers that tell me the structure of the song, and I set up aux effects I see myself mostly using, as well as eq on all my tracks. I labeled my tracks as well. kick, snare, Vox, etc. Then I went into the I/o and labeled the buses, I'd be using.

I saw a video of Morgan page taking about how he uses templates on Ableton to help him make music quicker.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRK6v View Post
central folder for VSTplugins that apps can scan so i don't have vstplugins scattered about.

your correct about Windows apps often being snotty say, vs a MAC.
So you have that folder on your c: drive - that's what I did when I ran a Windows system. Every program, every plugin installed on the c: drive. No ifs, ands or buts.

QAPLA!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
So you have that folder on your c: drive - that's what I did when I ran a Windows system. Every program, every plugin installed on the c: drive. No ifs, ands or buts.
if an install app for VSTs gives an option to install other than C: i install them to a common VST folder on a 2TB E: drv.

some DWS apps that i have installed to C: have options in preferences to adjust paths for VST/plugins drv/folders. one such app sits on its own USB ext drive and has options of editing paths for VST/plugins.

PT didn't i don't think, but it finds them via ilok or some windows reg entry.

appreciate all the help via this thread.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
if an install app for VSTs gives an option to install other than C: i install them to a common VST folder on a 2TB E: drv.

some DWS apps that i have installed to C: have options in preferences to adjust paths for VST/plugins drv/folders. one such app sits on its own USB ext drive and has options of editing paths for VST/plugins.

PT didn't i don't think, but it finds them via ilok or some windows reg entry.

appreciate all the help via this thread.
Question I have to ask is why do you do this? Why not have one common folder on your c: drive where everything would normally go? Sure has worked for everyone in the past whereas your method can and will have issues - i.e. it's less certain to work.

QAPLA!
Old 03-15-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Question I have to ask is why do you do this? Why not have one common folder on your c: drive where everything would normally go? Sure has worked for everyone in the past whereas your method can and will have issues - i.e. it's less certain to work.
my particular desktop i use has a small storage C: drive where OS is installed which is why somethings were installed to other drives. i suppose some day i could, if in an industrious mood, buy a +4TB SSD, put a new OS on it and reinstall all my apps, data, images, junk onto that drive.

ppl have their preferences of how & why they partition their apps & data storage.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
my particular desktop i use has a small storage C: drive where OS is installed which is why somethings were installed to other drives. i suppose some day i could, if in an industrious mood, buy a +4TB SSD, put a new OS on it and reinstall all my apps, data, images, junk onto that drive.

ppl have their preferences of how & why they partition their apps & data storage.
Preferences I can understand but when one goes against the normal working of an operating system then don't expect sympathy for when, not if but when - you have issues that more likely than not are caused by said preferences.

Really - how small of a c: drive do you have? Maybe you need to delete all the bloatware that's on there. dll and .dpm and .aax files aren't that big.

It's really not a 'best practice' to do what you're doing.

QAPLA!
Old 03-18-2017, 08:01 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AVDUun...oB86nN&index=1

Series about setting up mix templates in pt