Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Avid

I think we're veering off track here. The C|8 is USB 1.1 and if you have USB 2.0 ports on your computer they're completely backwards compatible with USB 1.1.

I'm extremely skeptical that this has anything to do with the problem.

If you revisit my steps above, is it still showing that you have fewer than 9 ports? Is the C|8 listed in the ones that are active?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I think we're veering off track here. The C|8 is USB 1.1 and if you have USB 2.0 ports on your computer they're completely backwards compatible with USB 1.1.

If you revisit my steps above, is it still showing that you have fewer than 9 ports? Is the C|8 listed in the ones that are active?
Not true at all.
For example some of the Intel MB's have this problem.
If you don't set the Bios to use Legacy USB it tends to treat all the USB devices in a somewhat generic way.
It will a register the devices but they will not function properly.
It can cause the the worst headaches troubleshooting because the device works just not properly.
An example a USB card reader would work fine with any cards that were less than 1g, once you got to a 1g it couldn't identify the card capacity.
Once Legacy USB is enabled it works fine with all cards.
It has nothing to do with USB2 being USB1 compliant it stems from how the particular MB handles the USB.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:

I already had taken up Ski's suggestion and went looking for the USB configuration in the BIOS. Legacy USB was to "Auto" so I changed it to "Enable". I restarted my PC but again: no change.
So it seems that this is not the answer for my particular situation.

I ran "regedit" again and I had 4 entries. It seemed I had two entries for the C8. Midi3 said "c8midi.dll" and midi4 said "c8midi.dll" as well. The fact that I had duplicated entries again, might that be down to the fact I uninstalled and reinstalled ProTools again?
Anyway, as you suggested earlier I deleted the highest entry and restarted my pc. But no change.

Any suggestions on where to go next?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:55 AM

Do a clean install for the OS and then PT.
Start fresh and alleviate the headaches.
If your USB is functioning correctly and you didn't get a bad Command 8 that would be the best place to go next.

Quote:
You could get a copy of Norton's Ghost and Ghost your system drive.
Reformat the drive, reinstall Windowsand do a basic PT installation and check to see the operation of the Command8 with the minimal setup.
If it doesn't work you can restore the system with the Ghost Image you created and have your original system back.
It's even been mentioned in the manuals as highly recommended by Digi to use Norton Ghost under Windows System Optimizations.

You will find most Windows users think that's a necessary part of using Windows, you have to Ghost your drive on a pretty regular basis or have multiple images of your drive.
It's pretty much the only safe was to keep Windows from doing something strange that shuts you down when you need to do work.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Avid

Default Re: Use Command|8 with MBox2? (C8 is Offline)

Given everything I'm seeing, I'm pretty much with SKI on this one. I think there's something else going on with the OS causing the issue.

I don't know if you have access to another Pro Tools system, but testing the C|8 on one would be a good way to verify for sure that it's working properly.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Given everything I'm seeing, I'm pretty much with SKI on this one. I think there's something else going on with the OS causing the issue.

I don't know if you have access to another Pro Tools system, but testing the C|8 on one would be a good way to verify for sure that it's working properly.
I had hoped I wouldn't have to go down that road, it's always a hassle reinstalling Windows. But if that's the only solution...

So I have two hard drives. One I use solely to save all my ProTools sessions on. On the other I installed Windows and I also use to save non-PT data. Windows and the data are on two seperate partitions.
Am I right in thinking that I can do a clean installation for Windows on my C: drive without having to throw away all my data on the other partition?
Old 08-26-2008, 03:57 AM

Since you are doing a re-install of a pretty problematic OS in general do yourself a couple of favors.

Get a copy of Ghost, running any Windows system without it is just a day to day risk.

Don't waste the time partitioning your drive you aren't actually gaining another drive or any real advantages by going such.

Make your new system as dedicated to your DAW as possible, it helps to prevent those little behind the scene changes installs make sometimes to your XP setup.

Move up to PT 7.4 to many advantages not to, or at least use the highest version of PT you are entitled to without purchase.

Don't worry about installing other stuff until you get PT and the C8 working correctly.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:54 PM

I know the feeling. I am having the same problem. This is my set up.

OS X 10.3.5
PT 6.4.1 24 mix plus
888 24 i/o
PMG4 dual 1.0---1.5 sdram pc 133

I bought the C8 used. The guy that owned it said it got used once.

I plugged it in, it worked the first time. THe second time it didn't work anymore. I repowered it, followed all the steps on the book and nothing. I went to the peripherals and it says none, when I click on it it doesn't even give me the drop down anymore, it just stays there.

I upgraded the firmware and saw the display saying upgrading. Pro tools sees the c8 in the midi set up, just not on peripherals.

I had os9 and os 10. I formated the mac and installed a full install of os x 10.3.5. I reinstalled pro tools 6.4.1 and sure enough the same thing. I cannot choose anything from the peripherals from the drop down menu.

I noticed that the lights on the c8 were dimmed and then they become fully bright a couple of times when I turned it on. I hope it is not damaged. but I don't think so because pro tools sees it as a midi divice. so I don't think is the command 8. Some one told me today to install the CS4 update, which I will do tonight when I get home.

So, I stopped by guitar center today and asked the guy if i can bring in my command 8 and test it on one of their systems to see if it'll work there. He said no prob. so tomorrow I will let you know.

I checked his digi 003 set up and went to the peripherals and the drop down opened up really fast, i wish mine would do that.

Regards
Old 08-28-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georg102 View Post

I had os9 and os 10. I formated the mac and installed a full install of os x 10.3.5. I reinstalled pro tools 6.4.1 and sure enough the same thing. I cannot choose anything from the peripherals from the drop down menu.
Take a look at the specs for the Command 8 and what the minimal PT version required to use the Command 8.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Avid

Quote:
I upgraded the firmware and saw the display saying upgrading. Pro tools sees the c8 in the midi set up, just not on peripherals.
I can suggest a few things.

First, check to see that you have the Command|8 profile in your Controllers folder located at MacHD>Applications>Digidesign>Pro Tools>Controllers. If it's there and you say you've done an uninstall/reinstall of Pro Tools since you encountered the problem, then most likely the profile is fine. If you actually didn't do an uninstall/reinstall, it may be that the profile is corrupted and reinstalling will replace it with a new one, which likely would fix the problem.

Have you possibly moved the Pro Tools application from it's original install location in the Pro Tools folder? If so - that will definitely cause a problem, as Pro Tools needs to be in that folder for it to locate and load the controller profiles properly.

Another thing to try:

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working.

And, lastly, test this from a new administrator account - it could be a corrupted preference in your current account causing the problem.