Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-26-2002, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Anybody use the Finalizer???

SSL,
howd’youdothat exactly ?
XLR in * SPDIF digital out to 888 (i got an 882/20) ?
You clock the 888 with the Finalizer also , i guess ?
Any settings to be made in PT or in the Finalizer (finalizer : clock INT to 44,1 or 48)
Do you use the Finalizer also for DA ?

thanks
marc
Old 12-26-2002, 06:01 AM

I Run my finalizer spdif or aes into an adat bridge 24. I just set protools to external clock source. and set the finalizer to whatever the sampling rate of the song is (44.1 or 48k)

I'm thinking about getting the Cranesong HEDD and doing the same thing. But $3100 is alot to spend for 2 channels

Maybe I'll be better off with something like an apogee ad 16 and just continuing to use my finalizer for D/A
Old 12-26-2002, 07:04 PM

The finalizer...

In the words of Dong Son "you will end up abuse it like hell".

I've heard this abuse. I call it the Nashville sound. You can't turn the volume knog on your stereo much futher than a quarter turn up from zero.

But my mixes are kind of sometimes out of control sonically and I need that squish probably more than the pros. And I think I want a new finalizer express, thanks guys, but will check e-bay just before I buy. But really I don't think I need more than the express and at about a grand I think the price is right.

Old Timer [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2002, 12:35 AM

Myself, as others mentioned, I will have to try the Finalizer (express) as a front end. Currently, on my home system, I run the optical outs of my 001 card to the finalizer then the SPDIF (or sometimes the analog outs) to my digital monitors that way I stay in the digital domain (if I choose) and can monitor and/or A/B my mixes with or without the finalizer or conversion .
SSL your right, one minute something seems okay and then the next some say don't do it.
But yes the converters are okay and this could be a work around for somebody looking for a front end and/or mastering processor....(just thoughts).
Happy New Year! LB.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:55 AM

Dean,
Finalizer is something very hard to describe, you'll love it at first, then after some careful works, you find out you can get louder with that box, you will soon join the LOUD CLUB. Then sometime later, you look back and you'll realize that other than that "Loud", your music lack dynamic range and some case loss sonic quality ...you then try to tune up your finalizer to become better in "SONIC" but you will never able to do that, then...Ebay it.
That's my story.
I have TC system 6000 with MD3, sound better than Finalizer due to higher resolution (48 bit processing) but I only use that MD3 for demo.
The Finalizer PLus selling on Ebay right now is WAY better than XP version, at 725, get it ASAP, you can upgrade to 96K if you want, just call TC ! The F+ has all connectors: AES/EBU, SPDIF, ADAT/optical ...
Sonny
Old 12-27-2002, 04:07 AM

Man I told you a few posts ago I'd be willing to sell you MY finalizer plus
It was originally purchased as a finalizer. I returned it to TC for upgrade and they changed the converters and the internal chip, and also added an adat port.

If you are interested email me.

It is pointless to buy a finalizer express

Please note I can save you the negotiation headache. I cannot go below $850 (Less than that and I can keep the thing as a converter for analog inserts in protools)
Old 12-27-2002, 04:52 AM

Dong Son,

what's your alternative for the finalizer ?

btw this must be the real end-of-the-year topic , or off-topic
Old 12-27-2002, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Dong Son,

what's your alternative for the finalizer ?

btw this must be the real end-of-the-year topic , or off-topic
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi,
I have used Finalizer (all version including MD2, MD3 or Master X) so I know it very well, Right now, I never use it, if I want a serious master, I hand my music to Mastering house, if I do mastering for others, I'll use Analog outboard with L2.
I sold my F96K about a year ago, I use that $$ to buy a MD3 license for my TC system 6000...but only for quick CD demo.
BTW, I do think the Finalizer still can be a helpful tool for some people so go for it if you try and like it... but be very careful not to abuse it.
I don't think this is off topic since so many people still using the Finalizer as a plug-in or converter for PT.
DS
Old 12-27-2002, 04:32 PM

Marc,

The alternative to the Finalizer is what I use now, and would use again in the future. I burn my demos or what ever you call them to an external burner( using rewritables) and move to my office to my windows rig and rip them into Sound Forge. Now I like the Sound Forge mastering concept because it is another step on a different platform so you are not using up CPU on the mac that you need for your mix. Also the audio is rendered in Sound Forge, not real time so there are no compromises in the processing.

However, depending on the plugin you use (one at a time) the sonic quality varies wildly. The impression I get is like the movie "The Fly". At the beginnig the Jeff Goldblum caracter teleports a steak but the teleported steak looks and smells like a steak but dosent taste "right". Depending on the company that makes the plug in, sometimes your music just sounds too differrent after'transforming" the audio files. Mostly I use the brickwall limiter and this seems not to color the sound at all but makes the mix loud. Multiband compression seems to color the music much more.

I'm just looking into another way to "master' and think the finalizer is the thing. Just checked the TC electronics website and the express looks good. Same 24 bit A/D and D/A. I think the previous generation of Finalizer was 20 bit. Maybe why some poeple are pushing me a little. I mean both A/D and D/A from Lucid will cost over a grand, but I know the Lucid is superior (but by how much??) And you can use the Finalizer to soft clip the vocals on the way in.. not bad! The plus just has more feature, but honestly I don't think I'm going to sample rate convert from 33.1 to 96 anytime soon.

And I'm really sorry if this is trivial and off topic, but polishing the raw digital output from the box IS the big issue. I just don't want to do it by mixing on an analog board. I want to be one of the people who do it all "in the box" and not have you guys know it by hearing it.

Old Timer [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2002, 02:14 AM

Man you want the best advice I'll give it to you

Even if you don't buy the one I'm trying to sell

GET YOURSELF A USED FINALIZER PLUS

They are cheaper and much more professional than the finalizer express. And they do have 24bit converters (the original finalizer is 20) All of Tc's finalizer line can be upgraded to the next level and if you decide to go 96k later you can.

I got some good years out of mine. I am moving to better converters. But when I began this digital process (at the level you are now)
It was the piece to have. It's not the most professional piece and there are much better processors out there. But at your level it gets the job done. Of course I'd rather have outboard gear and classic gear than plugins but At my level they get the job done.

Same principal.

Always look into the used market before giving manufacturers there markup