Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 12-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Default Video Window says "No Movie Present" when a video is present

Hi there,

I have recorded a couple of videos, they are all similar and recorded in the same time period. The recording software was the built in video software for my Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000, which actually does a pretty good job. All play in windows movie maker and VLC without a problem. I have pro tools m-Powered 8 academic.

I imported one into protools m-powered, and it imported fine into the timeline, and when I go Window->Video, I get the video preview window which opens find and shows the video. All is well here. (Sadly, it doesn't appear that I can edit the video itself in Pro Tools m-powered, which is very aggravating, but at least I can select the main portion, thus cropping off the ends, and export a decent video with my added sound.)

When I go to import my other video, same format as .wmv HD 960x720, it imports fine, and it shows up on the time line so I see the frames on the timeline, but when I go Window->Video the video preview window opens but it is black and just says No Movie Present. Now, I can play the movie and hear the sound, and I actually see the frames in the timeline, but the Preview window just doesn't show anything. I have tried everything I can think of.

As I said before, these two videos play fine in other media players, and both import fine into Vegas. In fact, I used Vegas to edit the videos that had this problem in pro tools. Yay Vegas!

Let me just add that if it is indeed possible to edit video in pro tools m-powered, and the manual is wrong, then please let me know how to do this.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Video Window says "No Movie Present" when a video is present

I have the same problem.....did any body know the answer?

I have a quicktime movie.......h264 codec movie comes up on timeline but will not play in the window. 'No movie present' syndrome.

any help would be welcome.

cheers.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:43 PM

I have the same problem with WMV generated by Windows Live Movie Maker...
Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 PM

I have the same problem to. let me know when some one comes up witht the solution. thanks...
Old 01-31-2011, 05:57 PM

I am having the exact same problem. I have imported a Quicktime formated video into my protools session - while the audio imports - the video does not - with a "no Movie Picture" message in the video viewer window.

Pro tools is also now crashing with the "Segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

What should I do?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 AM

I use ProTools a lot at work and currently using it a lot with video as i'm doing some voice over projects. I have saved an export preset in Premiere CS4 purely for importing into ProTools. This preset has very low video quality and high audio quality. (.wmv)

For the last few weeks, I have had no problems with video playback in ProTools (except for a little bit of lagging). However the videos have only been very short.

Today I try and import a 6.5 minutes video (29MB) into ProTools using the exact same preset and I get the "No Movie Present" error in the preview box. Annoying!. I try splitting the video into 1 minute sections and hey presto, the video plays. The only problem with that is I can only import one video into ProTools so I'll just have to mix one section at a time. (unless there are some settings I can change for this).

So, I suggest just try shortening the length of your video, or importing your video in shorter sections. Not the most perfect solution I know, but it worked for me.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Avid

Can someone experiencing this post a video that exhibits the problem for us to look at?

You can use any number of free services (Dropbox, Sugarsync, etc) to upload the video and either post a link in this thread or send an email to: vi [at] digidesign [dot] com with the link.