Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2017, 02:56 PM

Default Pro Tools 10.3.10 with Kontakt 5.5.1 "sorry soldier, we're about to crash" messages

New to Kontakt, d/ld 5.5.1 free player to use with Spitfire Audios Albion V Tundra ...
Keep getting "sorry soldier, we're about to crash" messages in Kontakt, which disables the few VI sounds that I had already loaded - then I have to delete the last VI I loaded, save session, then restart pro tools. It would seem that that is my max amount of VI's I can then use. No more, Or I get the same message and have to save and restart again. Really frustrating and ultimately almost unusable.

Multi processor is on, memory server is on, and have tried it vice versa but no difference: the same message appears....but my main question is:
Is there a specific way that Kontakt 5.5.1 has to be set up with pro tools 10 to run smoothly?
Something to do with allocating more memory to either Kontakt or PT10?
Albion is on a separate 7200 drive.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10.3.10 with Kontakt 5.5.1 "sorry soldier, we're about to crash" messag

Hi

We need much better view of your system.

Please read this and post back!

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

Thanks

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-25-2017, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10.3.10 with Kontakt 5.5.1 "sorry soldier, we're about to crash" messag

System Details
Mac Pro 5,1 / 8 core / 2.4ghz / 2010/ 32Gb RAM
MacOSX 10.8.5
Pro Tools HD Native 10.3.10
Kontakt 5.5.1
Old 03-25-2017, 05:59 PM

Make and model and speed. All three need to be 7200 rpm or better.

Hard drive for OS
Hard drive for recording sessions
Hard drive for samples

Also make sure you dont have both RTAS and AAX32 installed as they clash sometimes.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-26-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
New to Kontakt, d/ld 5.5.1 free player to use with Spitfire Audios Albion V Tundra ...
Keep getting "sorry soldier, we're about to crash" messages in Kontakt, which disables the few VI sounds that I had already loaded - then I have to delete the last VI I loaded, save session, then restart pro tools. It would seem that that is my max amount of VI's I can then use. No more, Or I get the same message and have to save and restart again. Really frustrating and ultimately almost unusable.

Multi processor is on, memory server is on, and have tried it vice versa but no difference: the same message appears....but my main question is:
Is there a specific way that Kontakt 5.5.1 has to be set up with pro tools 10 to run smoothly?
The only thing to do using Kontakt in Pro Tools is set multiprocessing to on even though it warns against this.

If you look in Activity Monitor how much memory is ProTools using? I found that when ProTools 10 was using 2.3 GB and upwards of memory it got really flaky and would usually crash. ProTools itself throws up an error message when it gets to around 2.8 GB of memory usage. Personally I found Kontakt pretty much unusable in ProTools 10 and it wasn't until ProTools went 64-bit that it became workable. By far the best bet is to host Kontakt in VE Pro which works beautifully and always has done.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:

Could you tell us what the EXACT error message is that comes up?
What other vi's and sounds do you have loaded in the problem session?
How many tracks in the session?
How many instruments do you have loaded in each Kontakt instance? I find that things run a lot smoother when each Kontakt instance only hosts one instrument. For example say I have a full string section; one instance of Kontakt will have the cello articulations, another Kontakt will have the violin articulations, etc. I'm not a huge fan of keyswitches so that's why I use separate articulations. The reason I do it like I do is it spreads out things amongst the different processor cores a lot better. I know on can load up a bunch of instruments in a single Kontakt instance but that really stresses out a single cpu core enough it will cause issues.

QAPLA!
Old 03-26-2017, 08:18 AM

Thx guys. I'll look at the RTAS / AAX conflict, and maybe VE Pro. Do they do a free sample player? Looks like it's part of a bigger orchestral package, I.e another purchase !
Old 03-26-2017, 08:23 AM

Thx jack, I'll try to separate kontakt instruments rather than doing them all in one player.
The error message is exactly that btw. Very strange!!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Thx jack, I'll try to separate kontakt instruments rather than doing them all in one player.
The error message is exactly that btw. Very strange!!
That error message is not a Kontakt error message but from Albion. Can you give us a screenshot of the error message? That would help nail this down.

QAPLA!
Old 03-26-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Thx guys. I'll look at the RTAS / AAX conflict, and maybe VE Pro. Do they do a free sample player? Looks like it's part of a bigger orchestral package, I.e another purchase !
It's a VI/plug-in host that comes with some bundled samples. It is another purchase I'm afraid but using Kontakt and Spitfire libraries in PT10 is optimistic as you've found out!

Come to think of it, isn't Kontakt 5/K5 Player 64 bit only? It shouldn't work at all as PT10 is 32 bit. I think that could be the issue right there.