Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-28-2016, 09:32 AM

Default Re: PT 12.6 Video Error

Jovo,

I feel your pain. Get version 12.4 from Avid. That works.

The AVE problems didn't start for me until 12.5 and up. My latest reply from the Avid support people was to use 12.4 until they can figure out what's going on.

Vince
Old 10-28-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovo View Post
Hi,
I jump from HD 10 to HD 12,6.
Video engine doesnt work AT ALL!
First,i suspect that it might be Blackmagic drivers,and tryed every single one of them. No luck.
Then i try to nail down where the problem is.
I did every osx clean install from Mavericks to El Capitan,and always get same error "video engine have unrecoverable error",and of course when you try to launch,it cant. I also try all PT version as well.
I have separate drives for audio,video and system. System is PCIe SSD,fastest possible,audio and video drives are 10.000 rpm Seagate,video files are all encoded to Pro Res LT or DNxHD,RAM is 32GB. I dont know where problem is,but i do know that is really really embarassing to have such expensive update which is totally unusablle!
This issue starts with implementation of AVE,PT 11,and obviouslly is permanent.

Please Avid,resolve this ASAP!

It kinda sounds like the problem is with your rig. I haven't heard of anyone else having these issues on this scale.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:09 AM

I'm using a Kono LiHi card and having the same exact problems. Renabling the video doesn't do a darn thing...I usually have to reboot PT. I've disabled the card and still get Lois of the video engine. This is a Pro Tools issue and I thought with 12.6 Avid would finally get a grip on it.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:27 AM

After a painfull month of installing various BM drivers and not getting any results,i contact Avid support,and a wonderfull guy Dan Spier from UK solve the problem.
We first change couple of dozen of usual mails,with usual suspects.
Then he ask me to start remote session...

First thing he did was installing 12.4 along with 12.6. I didnt know its possible,but its easy-first he install 12.4 on my computer and rename it to "12.4",then he installs 12.6 and rename it to "12.6". That way he had two different versions available on my computer. His next move made a magic-he right click "12.4" app,show package contents,then to frameworks and there he finds folder Video Engine. Next what he did was super simple-he replaced Video Engine in 12.6 with one he takes from 12.4 and damn thing start working as it should!!!
Dan told me over the phone that 12.4 and 12.6 have different video engines.

After he menage that,i start working and video was working fine on the desktop,so it was clear that BM drivers was part of problem in conjuction with that new 12.6 video engine. So,i ditch Intensity and ordered AJA LHi of ebay. I will post my results when i get it for sure.

My next issue was DAE error,which was easily solved by turning off "Ignore additional I/O latency" in Playback Engine prefs. I tested it by opening 50 empty channels and let it record for 2 hours. Next,i add 50 channels of audio clips from my library and let it play for 2 hours. Then i opened preety heavy session of feature film which contains much stems,full of reverbs,dynamics,noise reductions,and surround paths and let it play and record 5.1 and 2.0 mix,along with 2 hour video file of final edit-it worked like a charm.
Now,my 12.6 working perfectly,its not yet bug-less,but its ok,we all used to that.

Dan,you saved me,thank you!

Im on Mac Pro 3,1 32 GB ram,native system,Digi 003,and El Capitan 10.11.6
Old 11-09-2016, 07:00 AM

Brilliant.

I did the same thing. That is I replaced the AVE from 12.6 with the AVE from 12.4. Load the dialogue session I've been working with for the past week and everything seems to work.

Thanks for the info. That's what I like about this group.

I'll edit with this today and see if everything goes well.

Cheers,

Vince
Old 11-09-2016, 07:13 AM

Thanks Jovo, for posting this. Very useful info!
Old 11-09-2016, 07:37 AM

I hope it will solve your problem,Fish Horse.
Thats why we are here!

Regards
Old 11-13-2016, 12:07 PM

I wonder if it is a Mac Pro 3,1 issue.

I have a 3,1 with 24 GB RAM and not using any BlackMagic/AJA -- just straight ProTools video window and the AVE is nuts with 12.6. Won't load ProTools sessions with picture. I even moved it from 10.9.5 to 10.10.5 in hopes it would solve things.

I've found that if I "prime" the system by creating an empty session and importing video (and even that takes a few times) of DNxHD36 and then close that session after it finally loads, I can go back to old sessions and everything works. In fact, everything works until I reboot the computer and with any picture format (not just DNxHD -- I jump to ProRes often.) I can even close and reopen ProTools HD. Luckily that Mac Pro 3,1 doesn't get rebooted often.

On a Mac Pro (latest trashcan), zero issues. I remember that with an earlier version of AVE (11.3.2 HD?) it was always better at handling video than the Mac Pro cheese graters -- even 5,1 models. I'm wondering if the AVE is taking advantage of some GPU libraries.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I wonder if it is a Mac Pro 3,1 issue.
Well that was my first thought when I started with this (In ProTools 12.5 and now continues with 12.6)m but when I did my initial post the first person to respond that he had the very same issues had a new trash can MacPro.

So out went that theory.

Vince
Old 11-13-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
the first person to respond that he had the very same issues had a new trash can MacPro.
That would be me then.

But my problems were definitely memory related.
The memory in my first 2 slots I found was constantly showing errors.

SInce installing new memory I have no problems with the AVE on the trashcan in 12.6, even running the occasional H264 when I don't have time to transcode.