Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 02-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Default MixRack question

Hi,

Is it possible to configure the Mixrack as a 64 input channel system?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:52 PM

Default Re: MixRack question

I do not think so. I am pretty sure the max is 48 mic + 8 line ins for 54 channels total.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Avid

Hi Eytan,

There are two factors here: the number of physical inputs, and the number of processing channels.

The max number of mic pres is 48. There are 8 more line level inputs, plus a few 2-Track ins as well. These physical inputs get assigned to processing channels.

The max input processing channel config (as set on the Options > System tab) is 48 inputs plus 16 stereo FX Returns. This allows up to 80 physical inputs and plug-in effect returns to be mixed simultaneously.

Sheldon
Old 02-21-2008, 06:16 AM

Thanks sheldon,

I wanted 64 processing channel in order to patch the 10 TRS inputs into mono channels which have a 4 band EQ as oposed to 2 band EQ on the Stereo Inputs. Maybe in a later version?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Avid

Hi Eytan,

The TRS inputs can be routed to FX Returns. To get a 4-band EQ insert the new stereo version of EQ III across the FX Return, then use the channel strip EQ controls in Plug-In mode to control the parameters.

Sheldon
Old 02-22-2008, 12:11 PM

I know the Mix Rack doesn't have all the same sizes and shapes of card locations as the FOH rack, so there might be mounting issues. But electrically is there a reason you couldn't connect a snake card to the second DSP mix engine card? That is where a second snake goes on the FOH rack, right? Or what about adding an IOx card daisy chained to the IO card like the FOH rack?

Even if you needed more processing to go along with the extra I/O you could add a third DSP mix engine card, couldn't you?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:59 PM

Matthew,

The idea of the Venue MixRack is to hit a market that is in the more affordable price point, such as the M7CL, iLiveSystem80, and others. Obviously, Digidesign has to be careful to make a product that provides significant value to those purchasing it---but doesn't shoot their own foot in the process on sales of the Profile and DShow. I think Digidesign did an amazing job with the Profile control surface of what corners to cut without cutting the product's quality, they have done the same now going from the Profile System to the MixRack system. A Venue Dshow and Profile system used to come with (2) dsp cards standard, but Digidesign recently upgraded that to (3) cards with the ability to add up to (2) more cards. In the case of the MixRack, two cards are standard with the option to add a third dsp card.

You can not add another IO chassis, again it's the limitation of the MixRack design that makes it so affordable for those that don't need to buy what they don't need.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Radford View Post
Hi Eytan,

There are two factors here: the number of physical inputs, and the number of processing channels.

The max number of mic pres is 48. There are 8 more line level inputs, plus a few 2-Track ins as well. These physical inputs get assigned to processing channels.

The max input processing channel config (as set on the Options > System tab) is 48 inputs plus 16 stereo FX Returns. This allows up to 80 physical inputs and plug-in effect returns to be mixed simultaneously.

Sheldon
Is it possible to put the 16 i/o card on the BACK of the Profile Mix surface like you can on the SC48 control surface so the extra 8 line level inputs are FOH?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbagi View Post
Is it possible to put the 16 i/o card on the BACK of the Profile Mix surface like you can on the SC48 control surface so the extra 8 line level inputs are FOH?
No. All the I/O for the Profile systems has to live in the Mix Rack or FOH/Stage racks.

Five years ago when I last posted to this thread, putting the IOx card in the Mix Rack was not advertised as an option, but it is now supported.

It would be interesting to see what would happen now if you somehow fit a second hub48 card in the Mix Rack along with, say, three or four Ethernet snake cards...