Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 09-13-2018, 06:24 PM

Default Need help with connecting hdio&c24!!thankssss

hi,
first of all... im a Chinese, forgive me about the English gramma

im a new for hdio system,, and im trying to connected with c24 in my new settup studio,, and im confuse about the monitor system now,,

I use a 16x16 analog hdio,, 2 isa828 preamps and c24,
so:
1: I use a db25 connected between preamp out to hdio analog in
2: hdio to hdx card

and then I have problem with the analog output, there is 2 analog output ,each one are 8 channels, if I want to using c24 monitor system, I should output from hdio to c24 protools-in right?

but,, the c24 input only have 1 db25 chain, which means only got 8 channels,
so the problem is what can I do for my other hdio output?? if I want to use it to c24 also ,, how can I connect or connect to with input???

thanks a lot~!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2018, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Need help with connecting hdio&c24!!thankssss

Welcome to the DUC. Believe me when I say that your English is much better than my Chinese!!! With your gear, this is what I would do:
Connect the ISA-828 output to 1-8 inputs of the HD IO 1-8(using a standard D-sub cable)
Connect the C24 preamp out 9-16 to the HD IO 9-16(using a standard D-sub cable)
Connect the HD IO output 1-8 to the C24 monitor input(a 3rd D-sub cable)
I'll leave it to you to decide how to connect your monitors to the C24(but I suspect you will end up with a D-sub to XLR-M fan-out, and since the fan-outs are usually only .5m use a standard mic cable to extend to the far side)

This will give you a total of 16 inputs(ISA-828 is 1 thru 8 and the 9-16 preamps of the C24). You could easily choose to use the C24 1-8 preamps, but I am just using my "logic" Don't forget to open Setup>IO and enable(or add) paths for inputs and outputs. If you only work in stereo, you can use outputs 3 thru 8 to feed headphone mixes. One important detail for HD IO(and 192 IO)*** if you connect outputs to an un-balanced product(like some headphone amps), you MUST NOT ground the cold connection(pin 3 on an XLR connection and the ring on a TRS connection). You can(and should) read the manuals. If you don't have the original hard copies, they can be downloaded in PDF form(not sure if Chinese versions are available).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-14-2018, 04:36 AM

finally somebody reply!! thanks a lot,

im not sure that I post in a correct area or not,,
Thanks for ur reply again,,

Actually I have 2 828, so that’s why I get the 16x16 not 8x8 io, so I’ll connect 2 output from 2 828s to hdio via db25 cables, and then 1 db25 our to c24 input, but there is still have 1 more output from hdio(8 channels) , and I can’t find a input with 8channels in on c24,, that’s the problem I face,, what should I do for that extra 8 channels output from hdio?

And I’m gonna 6 or 8 channels out from c24 to headphone amps for musician personal monitor ,, and 2 stereo out to my main monitor , also I need phone out with the c24 also,, is that enough input to do that ?

I have 16 channels in io , I should also need all 16 channels output right ??
One more thing,, for recording the sound signal is via HDx card to computer? Or from io ananlog output to c24 then go into computer ??

Thxxx
Old 09-14-2018, 05:42 AM

Actually I have 2 828, so that’s why I get the 16x16 not 8x8 io, so I’ll connect 2 output from 2 828s to hdio via db25 cables, and then 1 db25 our to c24 input, but there is still have 1 more output from hdio(8 channels) , and I can’t find a input with 8channels in on c24,, that’s the problem I face,, what should I do for that extra 8 channels output from hdio?

And I’m gonna 6 or 8 channels out from c24 to headphone amps for musician personal monitor ,, and 2 stereo out to my main monitor , also I need phone out with the c24 also,, is that enough input to do that ?

One more thing,, for recording the sound signal is via HDx card to computer? Or from io ananlog output to c24 then go into computer ??

Thxxx
Old 09-14-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Welcome to the DUC. Believe me when I say that your English is much better than my Chinese!!! With your gear, this is what I would do:
Connect the ISA-828 output to 1-8 inputs of the HD IO 1-8(using a standard D-sub cable)
Connect the C24 preamp out 9-16 to the HD IO 9-16(using a standard D-sub cable)
Connect the HD IO output 1-8 to the C24 monitor input(a 3rd D-sub cable)
I'll leave it to you to decide how to connect your monitors to the C24(but I suspect you will end up with a D-sub to XLR-M fan-out, and since the fan-outs are usually only .5m use a standard mic cable to extend to the far side)

This will give you a total of 16 inputs(ISA-828 is 1 thru 8 and the 9-16 preamps of the C24). You could easily choose to use the C24 1-8 preamps, but I am just using my "logic" Don't forget to open Setup>IO and enable(or add) paths for inputs and outputs. If you only work in stereo, you can use outputs 3 thru 8 to feed headphone mixes. One important detail for HD IO(and 192 IO)*** if you connect outputs to an un-balanced product(like some headphone amps), you MUST NOT ground the cold connection(pin 3 on an XLR connection and the ring on a TRS connection). You can(and should) read the manuals. If you don't have the original hard copies, they can be downloaded in PDF form(not sure if Chinese versions are available).

Thxxx
Old 09-14-2018, 11:24 AM

Actually, the C24 has 16 outputs from the 16 on-board preamps, so you might consider adding another HD IO, or even an older 192 IO(they still work fine) to get more live inputs(in all cases, the HD IO and 192 IO will do a max of 16 ins/outs at a time). I would probably take the second D-sub output(9 thru 16) and feed that directly to a headphone amp. A way to share the 1-8 outputs between the C24 monitor section and a separate headphone amp requires a different cable scheme. Get 2 D-sub cables with 1 having a fan-out to male XLR and the other having a fan-out to female XLR. So the output of the HD IO breaks out to 8 XLR connections. The other cable would connect XLR 1 and 2(for the main mix) but the other 6 outputs could go to headphone amps. If this is making your brain hurt, its why many folks pay to have someone come set up their studio

last considerations:
if your current 16 inputs covers your needs, then you don't need to spend another dollar, but be aware, the on-board preamps on the C24 are what would best be called "vanilla" in that they are clean and quiet, but lack character(but they can be fine for less important instruments). They also tend to be quite hot(so louder signals will clip even with the gains all the way down, requiring an in-line pad). Since you now have 16 channels of the ISA, you might consider a future addition of a pair of "character" preamps like those from Neve or API(or clones of those). The ISA preamps are very nice, but again, they have less "character" than a Neve 1073 or API 312).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave