Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2014, 06:24 PM

Default Re: New Mac Pro - is a Keyboard - just a keyboard ? ..., and Shortcut Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Like I said - I have the Kensington Expert Mouse (really a large trackball). Yes, the buttons are a bit loud but then again I don't track acoustic instruments in the same room as the computer so that's not an issue. The wrist pad is not an option as it comes with the unit; you can attach it or not as you please.

The 4 buttons are quite good otherwise and you have not just 4 possibilities but 6 as the top two and bottom two buttons are chordable meaning that when you press both top buttons together you can get a fifth programmed operation and when you press the bottom two buttons you get a sixth programmable operation. The customizations for the buttons are not program specific meaning you can't have one set to work in PT and another to work in say Word. You do need the Kensington driver software and I don't know if it's been redone to work in Mavericks though.

Oh yeah - getting back to keyboards - the cable on the wired Mac keyboard is short; about 3 feet.
Cheers music man , that good to know , I will have to email kensington and see if they have any new updates available for maverics that'll be good, if not it shouldnt really be and issue though, Its still reassuring to hear you are still a satisfied longtime user , and finds the expert mouse intuitive for working with protools workflow in a positive way .
...., and a good heads up (thx ) about the short cable for the keyboard too
Old 07-09-2014, 02:26 PM

Default Re: New Mac Pro - is a Keyboard - just a keyboard ? ..., and Shortcut Covers

I've been using an Expert Mouse from Kensington in one form or another since 1995 when I was using it for Sonic Solutions. My doctor recommended them or any LARGE trackball to avoid carpal tunnel problems and the like. The four buttons allow for quick, one-handed access to tools and I have used the same setup with PT since 1998. The only problem is that, with every new Mac I buy, I have to re-program the buttons. At this point, my hand just "knows" what they do, and I have to sit and think about it to type in the commands. Once you get used to using the buttons, you'll never want to use a mouse again.

Jim Morris
Morrisound Recording
Tampa, FL
Old 07-21-2014, 03:47 AM

I have had the Kensington Pro under my hands for some days now, but cannot say I'm satisfied, probably because I'm having a hard time getting used to it.
What happens a lot is that when I want to move fast from one place to another (screen) I regularly loose track of my mouse pointer (it runs all over the place) but most difficulty is that I notice I get more wrist-pains trying to position the cursor at the exact right place.

I know Kensington's sw provides a feature to 'snap' to expected targets, but unfortunately the sw is not customizable for different applications (i.e. Protools, Final Cut, browsing). I use USB Overdrive for that and that provides no option for 'snapping' or more precise positioning. Furthermore it won't allow me to use the upper,- and lower buttons together.

Knowing how much this device is loved by the editing-community, I was wondering if there's more I can do to overcome this or do I have to conclude it is just not my tool for the trade? I have been using Logitech Performance MX mice in the past, but got annoyed with the size and the batteries running out all the time...

Any insight is much appreciated!!!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:57 AM

I've found problems with the wired Apple magic mouse - the wire often gets trapped beneath the mouse, restricting clicking, and making the cursor jump randomly across the screen, which is dangerous more than inconvenient. I've long switched to a Logitech trackball - much better ergonomically and better for RSI and CT sufferers than the Kensington, and fast becoming a favourite here in the UK. Also had an Apple ProTools keyboard (one of the slim ones) but it turned out to he very unreliable - sticky & unresponsive keys. I now use a Cyborg gaming keyboard - designed for rough usage.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 07-21-2014, 04:42 AM

Also, mounting your keyboard and mouse / trackball, so your forearm, wrist and knuckles are level, greatly helps with RSI and CTS. Think like a piano player - if your knuckles are higher than your wrist, then it puts more pressure on the tendons in your forearm and carpal tunnel. A good wrist support for both keyboard and mouse is worth its weight in gold.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 07-21-2014, 04:45 AM

And one last thing - never be tempted to angle up your keyboard. Piano keys and pro mixing consoles have flat faders and keys for a reason - they're designed for prolonged use.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 07-21-2014, 04:48 AM

This is also why post console channel strips have the routing and EQ closest to the faders while music console channel strips are the other way round.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 07-21-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arno Peeters View Post
I have had the Kensington Pro under my hands for some days now, but cannot say I'm satisfied, probably because I'm having a hard time getting used to it.
What happens a lot is that when I want to move fast from one place to another (screen) I regularly loose track of my mouse pointer (it runs all over the place) but most difficulty is that I notice I get more wrist-pains trying to position the cursor at the exact right place.

I know Kensington's sw provides a feature to 'snap' to expected targets, but unfortunately the sw is not customizable for different applications (i.e. Protools, Final Cut, browsing). I use USB Overdrive for that and that provides no option for 'snapping' or more precise positioning. Furthermore it won't allow me to use the upper,- and lower buttons together.

Knowing how much this device is loved by the editing-community, I was wondering if there's more I can do to overcome this or do I have to conclude it is just not my tool for the trade? I have been using Logitech Performance MX mice in the past, but got annoyed with the size and the batteries running out all the time...

Any insight is much appreciated!!!
I had a Kensington wireless mouse with multiple buttons on it and never really liked it. The Pro you have looks like a more or less standard mouse button-wise - I don't see top and bottom buttons. At least not like the Kensington Expert Mouse (which is the large trackball). Granted the software isn't customizable for different programs but that's a feature that never did anything for me. I'd rather have it programmed for standard program functions (actually operating system functions) that work across everything. That way I have covered the things that get used most often.

As to the mouse flying about don't forget to pay attention to the cursor sped and acceleration parameters in the Kensington s/w.

edit: I also responded in the other thread you posted about this.

QAPLA!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:04 AM

I can highly recommend the Logitech M570 trackball. Brilliant layout, very RSI and CTS friendly.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 AM

Ok, ditched the Kensington and ordered a R.A.T. 5
I never got problems with RSI, but find many mice too small. Maybe this ugly creature will do the trick...