Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2018, 05:30 PM

Default Sound output choice problems...

Hello, I've just joined and had a good look for this and haven't found anything, hence my post, so please don't think that I haven't looked, because trust me I have...

I have a Motu Audio Express, using the Mic/Inst 1 for my bass;
The Motu AE 6x6 is connected to the Motherboard via the USB-2 option (as Firewire is not something you usually see on a PC mobo any more);

I have the Main 1 & 2 out 1/4" jacks with RCA rear plugin adapters to run the RCA cable to a 3.5m Splitter which is plugged into my mobo Line In (Blue) 3.5m female;

I have my JBL powered speakers 3.5m cable plugged into my mobo Line Out (Green) 3.5m female;

In Pro Tools First 12.8 under the Playback Devices I have the Motu Audio ASIO playback device selected (though I can chose ASIO4ALL v2 as I also have it installed, and there is the Windows Audio Devices as well) and the Default Output is Main Out 1- 1-2 with 44.1 khz sample rate set (I've written that as it is shown);

I've managed to get sound working and record my bass through having all of the other tracks (drums, guitar, etc), that is in the Session my friend has invited my into, set to play using what is listed as HD Audio output 1-2, and my Bass set to Main Out 1-2.....otherwise when all are set to the Main Out 1-2 I end up with my bass track recording the other tracks onto it as well
So this does seem to work at least.
The Input Options are pre-assigned for the tracks that are not owned by me.

But the Input Options for my bass track seem to have to be set to Mix 1 Return 1. The complete Input list is;
Mic/Instrument 1 (Mono)
Mic/Instrument 2 (Mono)
Analog 1 (Mono)
Analog 2 (Mono)
S/PDIF 1 (Mono)
S/PDIF 2 (Mono)
Mix 1 Return 1 (Mono)
Mix 1 Return 2 (Mono)

This is complete list I see under the Output Options;
HD Audio 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 (Stereo) (compiled)
MOTU Main Out 1-2 - 1-2 (Stereo) (as shown)
High Definition Audio 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 (Stereo) (compiled)
Main.LR (Stereo)

HD Audio and High Definition Audio seem to be the same thing to me....

Now what I want to do and can't work out for the life of me, and that's saying something with my PC experience, is this:

I have a nVidia GTX 970 Graphics Card, which is connected to my Sony STR-DN1040 Multi-Channel AV Reciever via the HDMI option on the GPU, which allows me to run iTunes, VLC Movies, etc into my 7.1 Surround Sound System with great sound and picture quality.

Buuuuuuuuuuut I cant seem to get either Pro Tools or Audio Express to play through it via my GPU and the HDMI

Sooooo that I can have the other tracks playing on my sound system, and just my bass through my JBLs, so that I can have no sound distortion/fuzz/noise or what ever, and clearly hear my playing only.

I'm only just getting back into playing and haven't recorded anything in years, and though my PC skills are fine, this is doing my head in. Any help would be really, really appreciated, as I don't see how this could be such a problem to sort out...and I'm sorry about the length of the post, but I feel this needs to be spelt out in such a manner for someone with more understanding than me to get the complete picture and hopefully help me out
By the way, I really appreciate the Avid community having such a forum and that until I can justify, and afford, to buy the full version of Pro Tools that this has been developed for us new to trying the home recording thing...

Last edited by Denn Lean; 01-13-2018 at 12:11 PM.