Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2010, 01:33 PM

Default Anyone using Vienna Ensemble Pro?

Just purchased and installed it, but I'm having a hell of a time getting ProTools to work with it. Read through the VE Pro manuals and videos, but doesn't seem to explain some of the basic routing issues that I think are the root of my problem. If anyone could shed some light, I'd love to post some more details of what's going on and maybe figure this out.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Anyone using Vienna Ensemble Pro?

4-6 threads here with this exact title but I don't think anyone had the issue(s) u may be speaking of...

So whatz goin on?

here are some of the others

<>
<>
<>
<>
<>

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 02-23-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
4-6 threads here with this exact title but I don't think anyone had the issue(s) u may be speaking of...

So whatz goin on?

here are some of the others

<>
<>
<>
<>
<>
Thanks for the links -- I did in fact do a search before posting (and before purchasing!), but nobody seems to be as confused as I am. . .

First issue: I create an instance of Omnisphere in VE Pro. Channel 1 of Omnisphere. I create a MIDI track in PT and set the output to "VE Pro 1 1." Works brilliantly, audio gets spit back into PT via the Instrument Track I've got the VE Pro plug-in on. Load another Patch in channel 2 of Omnisphere, create another MIDI track in PT and set output to "VE Pro 1 2". Again, works great, audio coming through the Instrument Track in PT. Now I create a new instrument in VE Pro and load MotU Mach5. I create a new midi track in PT and set the output to "VE Pro 2 1." But when I play through the latest midi track (aimed toward Mach5 channel 1) I get not only the Mach5 channel 1 sound, but also the Omnisphere channel 1 sound. So it seems the midi routing I have going is not discrete.

Second issue, unrelated: From within Omnisphere, I want to send the output of channel 1 to output B and the output from channel 2 to output C. Typically, in ProTools, I'd just adjust the output routing in Omnisphere, then create audio or aux tracks and set their inputs to Omnisphere out B and C respectively. Now, in VE Pro, if I change the outputs in Omnisphere, I can't seem to find an input in ProTools that will let me hear the output of Omnisphere B and C. In PT, I see outputs coming from VE Pro labeled Stereo 2 through Stereo 16, but within VE Pro, my output options seem only to be Master Bus or a series of Net3/Net4, Net5/Net6, etc outputs. And further, those outputs will only assign the output of the entire VI, not the individual midi parts within the VI.

Sorry if this is long-winded. Trying to be thorough, but brief. Hoping if somebody can hip me to the proper workflow with this stuff I can figure out all the minutiae on my own.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:43 PM

I can answer the output issue without being in front of it...the 1st issue, I need to be sitting @ it because I too had to figure that 1 out my 1st go around...If no one else chimes in before I get too it, as Arnold says, "Owl Be Bock"

As for the output thing, In VEPro, there are Inputs that u can(must) create, then setting the hardware output of that input track in VEP accordingly so that u get it into PT where u want it.(I think I said that rite).. I always do aux tracks in PT & set those...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 02-23-2010, 04:01 PM

First off I don't know if you are on one machine or if you are in a Slave and Master machine situation. Are you using the Server plug or the Stand Alone version? In any case this may help.

For your first problem, make sure that your Mach 5 is receiving on it's own port and that port must be set to omni if you want that instrument to receive on all 8 channels.
This could have something to do with the way you have midi setup. I find that midi works perfectly by using the VEPro system and disabling any other midi systems you may have.......could be iPmidi or MOL. You disable other systems by NOT selecting them in your server setup.

I'll try to explain what I do in your second scenario.
To get your separate outputs from Omnisphere in VEPRo you first create your Omnisphere instrument. THEN you create another INPUT channel in VEPro (that's the icon 3rd from the left at the bottom of the screen.)
At the bottom of that channel there are two boxes. The first one allows you to choose Omnisphere 2 the second one is your output to ProTools. So select which NET out you want.

So in VEPro the outputs work like this Net 3+4 = ProTools stereo 2
Net 5+6 = ProTools Stereo 3 (so always the VEPro out is double the number of the PT in)

That will now work.
So the creation of the Input channels in VEPro for Omnisphere is where you went wrong.
Good luck with VEPro. It changed everything.

http://philbuckle.com/
Old 02-23-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Buckle View Post
First off I don't know if you are on one machine or if you are in a Slave and Master machine situation. Are you using the Server plug or the Stand Alone version? In any case this may help.

For your first problem, make sure that your Mach 5 is receiving on it's own port and that port must be set to omni if you want that instrument to receive on all 8 channels.
This could have something to do with the way you have midi setup. I find that midi works perfectly by using the VEPro system and disabling any other midi systems you may have.......could be iPmidi or MOL. You disable other systems by NOT selecting them in your server setup.

I'll try to explain what I do in your second scenario.
To get your separate outputs from Omnisphere in VEPRo you first create your Omnisphere instrument. THEN you create another INPUT channel in VEPro (that's the icon 3rd from the left at the bottom of the screen.)
At the bottom of that channel there are two boxes. The first one allows you to choose Omnisphere 2 the second one is your output to ProTools. So select which NET out you want.

So in VEPro the outputs work like this Net 3+4 = ProTools stereo 2
Net 5+6 = ProTools Stereo 3 (so always the VEPro out is double the number of the PT in)

That will now work.
So the creation of the Input channels in VEPro for Omnisphere is where you went wrong.
Good luck with VEPro. It changed everything.
Thanks for your reply. I'm only using one machine in this setup, so it's VE Pro Server running behind PT HD 8 using the VE Pro plug-in -- both on the same MacPro. I have a VERY simple midi setup (2 controllers connected via USB, and one hardware synth connected via USB), so I'm not really even sure about any alternative MIDI systems that could be running.

Thanks for the clear explanation of how to use Input channels in VE Pro to get discrete outputs from the VI's. Not as elegant as I imagined it would be (just assumed you'd be able to access a VI's outputs more directly from PT), but at least now I totally understand how to set it up. I'm not even going to ask why the names of the out's and in's don't match up. . . .
Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM

Thanks for chiming in Phil... I don't really get in the studio on tues as that is my "Forum Day"

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 PM

Glad to be of assistance. The thing is that once you have set up your template with your main plugs all split out etc you never have to do it again.

The problem is that there are now too many toys available to me. I'm going to have to cut up my credit cards to stop me buying stuff that I always wanted to use in PT.
Just bought another Scarbee piano for Kontakt 4. Can't help myself!

http://philbuckle.com/
Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 PM

I kno rite!!! All cash for me, so I don't kno which is worse

U with the Credit Cards or me spending cash(that I owe the IRS)

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoney View Post
First issue: I create an instance of Omnisphere in VE Pro. Channel 1 of Omnisphere. I create a MIDI track in PT and set the output to "VE Pro 1 1." Works brilliantly, audio gets spit back into PT via the Instrument Track I've got the VE Pro plug-in on. Load another Patch in channel 2 of Omnisphere, create another MIDI track in PT and set output to "VE Pro 1 2". Again, works great, audio coming through the Instrument Track in PT. Now I create a new instrument in VE Pro and load MotU Mach5. I create a new midi track in PT and set the output to "VE Pro 2 1." But when I play through the latest midi track (aimed toward Mach5 channel 1) I get not only the Mach5 channel 1 sound, but also the Omnisphere channel 1 sound. So it seems the midi routing I have going is not discrete.
It sounds like you're not setting the receiving channels inside the VEPro rack. You have to set them to receive from the different "ports", then set individual channels for parts within the plug. Otherwise I think it defaults to "Omni" and you'll have the result you're getting now.