How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2012, 02:18 PM

Default 003 and 11R SetUp

Hi Gang....

Just took delivery of a new authorized "Turn Key" system and a new 003R with PT10 pre-installed....
I'm experiencing 2 issues that I hope someone may be able to shed some light on before I call Avid.

1)I have hooked the 2 units up by way of Benoni's suggested method (awesome vids by the way) putting my 11R into the 003R via spdif.Problem is it would not show the 11R in the hardware window when I went to set the clock sources.I unhooked the 003R and simply connected the 11R via USB and it was there.Reconnected everything via spdif and now the 11R is still the only hardware recognized and no sign of the 003R?

In Benoni's vid it showed both his units in the Hardware window.

I'm pretty sure its something simple I'm missing but I just cant see it :)

2) The 11R window comes up showing items from the EXRP that I dont have and my rigs on my unit play fine but my "Plexi" shows the Blue Line Bass.I plan on getting the EXRP but haven't as of yet.

I'm on Windows 7

Any thoughts from you folks would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-01-2012, 03:05 PM

Default Re: 003 and 11R SetUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio66 View Post
Hi Gang....

Just took delivery of a new authorized "Turn Key" system and a new 003R with PT10 pre-installed....
I'm experiencing 2 issues that I hope someone may be able to shed some light on before I call Avid.

1)I have hooked the 2 units up by way of Benoni's suggested method (awesome vids by the way) putting my 11R into the 003R via spdif.Problem is it would not show the 11R in the hardware window when I went to set the clock sources.I unhooked the 003R and simply connected the 11R via USB and it was there.Reconnected everything via spdif and now the 11R is still the only hardware recognized and no sign of the 003R?
I'm likely not following - you reconnected the USB to the 003 (and left the Eleven Rack connected as well?) right? the 003 now does does not show up at all? Did you reboot the computer? What interface is selected in the Playback Engine dialog panel? What options appear there for Playback Engine?

Who built the "authorized turn key system" (and "authorized" by who?) and why is whoever built this sstems not providing support to fix these problem for you?

Please read the "Help us Help you" link at the top part of this page. Especially provide a Sandra report as asked there.

How are these two interfaces connected to the PC? To separate USB ports on the motherboard? USB 2 or USB 3? Is there any USB hub involved (there should not be)? Remove any other USB deices you can, test with other USB cables.

Have you (or the PC builder?) followed all the Avid Pro Tools recommended computer optimization steps for your PC? Including things like disabling USB power management, disabling sleep/suspend, WiFi, etc. ? Please list exactly which of the optimizations you have or have not done (see the Help Us Help You page and follow the links there). I would hope every last little one of these was done by anybody claiming to custom build a pro Tools system - and I hope they list/document what they have done exactly - but *hope* is not enough, you have to double check what they did/what the settings for things actually are.

Darryl
Old 09-01-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I'm likely not following - you reconnected the USB to the 003 (and left the Eleven Rack connected as well?) right? the 003 now does does not show up at all? Did you reboot the computer? What interface is selected in the Playback Engine dialog panel? What options appear there for Playback Engine?

Who built the "authorized turn key system" (and "authorized" by who?) and why is whoever built this sstems not providing support to fix these problem for you?

Please read the "Help us Help you" link at the top part of this page. Especially provide a Sandra report as asked there.

How are these two interfaces connected to the PC? To separate USB ports on the motherboard? USB 2 or USB 3? Is there any USB hub involved (there should not be)? Remove any other USB deices you can, test with other USB cables.

Have you (or the PC builder?) followed all the Avid Pro Tools recommended computer optimization steps for your PC? Including things like disabling USB power management, disabling sleep/suspend, WiFi, etc. ? Please list exactly which of the optimizations you have or have not done (see the Help Us Help You page and follow the links there). I would hope every last little one of these was done by anybody claiming to custom build a pro Tools system - and I hope they list/document what they have done exactly - but *hope* is not enough, you have to double check what they did/what the settings for things actually are.

Darryl
Hi Darryl,
Thanks for the reply!
I should have mentioned the optimizations were all done and double checked by me...the computer comes from ADK computers.

I will figure out and post a Sandra....should have thought of that myself first after how many times I've seen it mentioned but I thought it was maybe just something silly I was overlooking.

The system records flawlessly and embeds settings it just wont show me the 2 devices under hardware and the GUI for the 11 is showing Expansion items (not sounds just visuals) that I dont have yet :)
I have a system drive/recording drive and samples drive.
It all works smoothly and fast over other systems I've had with PT7.

This is my first time running 2 interfaces though so I'm sure its going to be pilot error :)

11R > 003R via spdif
11R > computer usb
003R > computer via Firewire

Thanks again for the reply and I'll get a sandra going.

Just went and disconnected the spdifs and just ran the 11R into inputs 1&2 plus usb to the computer and recorded fine that way also...it allowed me to embed also but still only shows the 003R for hardware.

Again I'm sure its me...just need to step back and clear my head...
Old 09-01-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio66 View Post
Hi Darryl,
Thanks for the reply!
I should have mentioned the optimizations were all done and double checked by me...the computer comes from ADK computers.

I will figure out and post a Sandra....should have thought of that myself first after how many times I've seen it mentioned but I thought it was maybe just something silly I was overlooking.

The system records flawlessly and embeds settings it just wont show me the 2 devices under hardware and the GUI for the 11 is showing Expansion items (not sounds just visuals) that I dont have yet :)
I have a system drive/recording drive and samples drive.
It all works smoothly and fast over other systems I've had with PT7.

This is my first time running 2 interfaces though so I'm sure its going to be pilot error :)

11R > 003R via spdif
11R > computer usb
003R > computer via Firewire

Thanks again for the reply and I'll get a sandra going.

Just went and disconnected the spdifs and just ran the 11R into inputs 1&2 plus usb to the computer and recorded fine that way also...it allowed me to embed also but still only shows the 003R for hardware.

Again I'm sure its me...just need to step back and clear my head...
You are not trying to load a preset from your computer that has expansion pack features in it are you? This type of thing is something I would trash prefs and database for (try that again) also do a memory reset on the Eleven Rack (in the Options menu from the front panel).

Check you have the latest Eleven Rack driver.

And just for the heck of it try deleting/moving elsewhere all files in .../Digidesign/Plugin-Settings/Eleven Rig (on a Mac that is in /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plugin-Settings/Eleven Rig ) and restart Pro Tools. I don't think problems there could cause this, but worth a try.

Darryl
Old 09-01-2012, 04:46 PM

If you got this system new it most likely has the EXRP installed. It has been included standard for about a year now.

As for how they show up, you have to choose one or the other as the interface, they won't both work as interfaces. You want to have the 003 as the interface and the 11R hooked up via spidf. Set the 003 to internal clock and the 11R to external (this can be done in the GUI window or on the unit itself.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Keep in mind those videos were done in PT LE8. So what shows is different for 9 and 10.

Also PT 10.2 (i think .2) includes the updated UI files for the ERXP items, while PT 8.0.1 through 9.0.6 only included the original UI files and running the first section of the ERXP would update those UI files in the Pro Tools plugin folder.

Since the 11R now comes pre-installed with the ERXP they finally decided its a good idea to just include the updated files within PT10 instead of making the user download the ERXP and install that as well.

When the 11R first starting shipping with the ERXP pre-loaded there was a huge problem because Avid did not include any way for the buyer to see the ERXP item in the on screen editor because the ERXP was only available to those who purchased it ($99). The buyers did not need the actual ERXP since it was already pre-installed on the 11R. They just needed the UI files which were tied to the ERXP updater, which is a two part installer.

Finally Avid made the ERXP available to download for all, so people could run the first section and get the updated UI files so they could see the ERXP amps/effects in the on-screen editor. The second part which actually installs the firmware update is useless without a SN and ID code, and new owners did not need that section anyway since their firmware was already updated, so they would just trash the updater placed on the desktop.

Then came PT10 and after awhile Avid started including the updated UI files in PT10.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-01-2012, 07:10 PM

Wow guys thats awesome....I think between the 3 of you you have me sorted!!

Its funny I bought my 11R when they were first released and just always used it as a standalone processor.Finally upgraded my computer from a PIII/PT7 to an i7 Quad/PT10 and decided I better finally hook it as intended.

Thanks for all the great advice and support....I see your 3 names hear quite often and on behalf of the rookie crowd....Thanks!!!!

Will post back my success story....
Old 09-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
/snip/
Set the 003 to internal clock and the 11R to external (this can be done in the GUI window or on the unit itself.
Just to add to that, if you have a USB cable connected to the Eleven Rack you can't use the option of setting the sample rate and clock source from the front panel, it locks that out. You have to do that from the computer.

Darryl
Old 09-01-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Just to add to that, if you have a USB cable connected to the Eleven Rack you can't use the option of setting the sample rate and clock source from the front panel, it locks that out. You have to do that from the computer.

Darryl
Good to know...again...thanks for taking the time!!
Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 PM

BTW maybe to go back because I'm lost as to what one of the problems you are describing above is or what you expect to see.

With Pro Tools 9 on OS X, if the non-Eleven Rack device is selected as the interface you then would use the Eleven Rack icon in the OS X Systems Preferences or the system Audio Midi Setup Utility to change the clock rate. Its not something you look for as a direct entry under Pro Tools Setup>Hardware.

You should see something similar on Windows with Pro Tools 9/10... when the Eleven Rack is not used as your interface I then expect you set the sample rate and clock source from the Windows control panel Eleven Rack utility -- is there an Eleven Rack craplet showing up in your Windows control panel?

You want to find a way to do this from your PC becuase you want the USB cable connected to your Eleven Rack so you can use the control window in Pro Tools, can load/save presents and can embed Eleven Rack settings in tracks.

Does this make sense/work, or tell me what I'm missing.

Darryl