How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2017, 04:37 AM

Default Need help! AAE error 6 / AAE Error 6040

Hello everyone,

I am in pretty deep trouble here. I made the move from Apple this year and am now on Windows 10 with ProTools 12.8.2. Everything was working very well up until last week. Something happened, I have no idea what.

I get AAE Error 6 messages after which I have to restart my computer to get the session working again. But if this happens once, the ProTools file seems to be corrupted somehow, because afterwards it's just a question of minutes before it happens again.

I tried rebuilding sessions by exporting and then importing Midi and stems. Did this several times. This solves the problem... for a couple of hours.

Furthermore I get very strange behaviour occasionally. Sometimes all of a sudden the file or the session backup won't safe because "the file is allready in use by another program". Afterwards if I look into the sessionfolder ProTools added these weird folders with names like: 'GGujnjoXynI'. Very alarming too me, seems like something is really really wrong here.

I consider myself to be pretty smart with computers, but I cannot seem to fix this because I have no clue where to start. Here's what I tried...

- Export everything and rebuilding the session from scratch.
- Disable all plugins and activating them one by one. (Spectrasonics Trillian, Keyscape, Addictive Drums 2, Plugin Alliance stuff, Melodyne (I'm suspecting this one is causing some issues, but I am not really sure...)
- Increasing buffer size, activating 'ignore errors during playback'
- Move the session to different disks, internal and external.

Here's my system, I built it myself, and it has been working very well for a couple of months: Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X, i7-7700K, 16GB Corsair DDR4-2400, Samsung 960 EVO, Asus Rog Strix GTX1070.
I am using an RME Fireface 801 interface.

The problems got really big after updating to 12.8.2 but they were there before also.

I am assuming that it has something to do with disk permissions, but here my inexperience with Windows 10 is coming into play (I moved to Mac in 2004 from Win XP).

Anyone?

Last edited by demanmetdeneus; 10-22-2017 at 05:26 AM. Reason: I need to add some system information I forgot
Old 10-22-2017, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Need help! AAE error 6 / AAE Error 6040

Are your sessions on a separate HDD or SSD from the operating system? You mentioned that you tried moving the session to different disks, internal and external. Generally, sessions should not be on an external disk (with the exception of old Firewire connected external disks), in an old system like mine, I have been able to use an external Firewire drive as a session drive.

Assuming you are recording to an internal HDD, is it at least 7,200 RPM? 5,400 RPM is too slow for Pro Tools.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:36 AM

Have you made sure that the Fireface is NOT selected as the default Windows audio device? Control Panel-Sound-Playback and Record tabs.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 10-22-2017, 08:41 AM

Don't disable plug-ins, move them to the Unused folder. Then bring them back one or a few at a time. Just having a "rogue" plug-in in the Plug-In folder can cause issues.

Have you tried trashing Preferences and Databases, emptying the Recycle Bin and rebooting? Use guitardom's Trasher Utility for that.

Have a look at the "Help Us Help You" link at the top of the forum, try the suggestions and optimizations. Also have a look at this thread to see if there is more that may help.

Post a Sandra Report too.

HTH
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-22-2017, 09:45 AM

Default Need help! AAE error 6 / AAE Error 6040

Try removing all Plugin Alliance Plugs from your plugin folder. If this fixes your AAE-6 issues contact PA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by jjnssn; 10-22-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Are your sessions on a separate HDD or SSD from the operating system? You mentioned that you tried moving the session to different disks, internal and external. Generally, sessions should not be on an external disk (with the exception of old Firewire connected external disks), in an old system like mine, I have been able to use an external Firewire drive as a session drive.

Assuming you are recording to an internal HDD, is it at least 7,200 RPM? 5,400 RPM is too slow for Pro Tools.
I tried working from my system disk, which is a Samsung 960EVO. Very fast. I am surprised it doesn't work. On my Mac computers I never expierienced issues while running sessions from the sytem disk.

External disks are all 7200rpm on USB3

Installed a second SSD just a minute ago, NVMe, see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-22-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
Have you made sure that the Fireface is NOT selected as the default Windows audio device? Control Panel-Sound-Playback and Record tabs.
Now this I didn't try. Thanks...
However, it was always running Windows audio alongside ProTools. And it worked before...
Old 10-22-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Don't disable plug-ins, move them to the Unused folder. Then bring them back one or a few at a time. Just having a "rogue" plug-in in the Plug-In folder can cause issues.

Have you tried trashing Preferences and Databases, emptying the Recycle Bin and rebooting? Use guitardom's Trasher Utility for that.

Have a look at the "Help Us Help You" link at the top of the forum, try the suggestions and optimizations. Also have a look at this thread to see if there is more that may help.

Post a Sandra Report too.

HTH
Thank you! Will try this. First I'm gonna check if the second SSD helps.
Then I will try and create a Sandra report... It's a whole new world, this Windows thing.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:26 PM

I found this aftear reading it had something to do with brainworx somewhere.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/support.html

ProTools gives “AAE” errors when using PA’s AAX plugins on Windows
Some Windows users have reported that ProTools gives the error message “AAE error -6” in sessions containing our plugins. Please try this list of workarounds, and if they don’t help, please contact technical support.

Make sure your audio interface's drivers are fully up-to-date.
Remove any connected USB flash drives from your system.
Remove the file named WaveCache.wfm from the session folder of your current session, and also remove it from this directory: Users/public/Pro Tools.
For users of antivirus software, try disabling real-time scanning.
Contact technical support and request legacy versions of the plugins, from before the April 2015 update (if available).

Hope it works for you.