Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 02-01-2014, 03:19 PM

Default Euphonix Artist Control doesn't work on Logic Pro X :(

Hi everyone, I have e big problem...

I just bought the Euphonix Artist Control and I try to make it work with Logic Pro X on iMac late '13 running Mavericks.

I use the crossover ethernet cable that was included to the package and download the latest software from the AVID site EuControl Software 3.1 . Also updated the Artist Control Firmware to latest 1.3.5 firmware.

From network settings the ethernet connection is Self-Assigned IP. It says it will not be able to connect to the internet, but this isnt what I want.

At EuControl Settings, in the first tab there is a surface MC Control available and I add this to "My Surfaces". The same on tab "Workstations" I can see my workstation, added to "My Workstations" and make it attached. I didn't change any other parameter. Now the Artist Control show on the monitor my workstation name and the name of its program that I use. Right now it shows Google Chrome.

But there is a problem. When I open the Logic Pro X, I can see the name of the program on the Artist Control monitor but the controller doesn't work.
I try some tricks, for etc to make static IP but when I do what the iMac can not "see" the Euphonix. I always make a reboot after changes, most because the EuControl software stacks in every change that I made.

After many tries and reboots I return to default settings, make a reboot and suddenly everything works fine. I open the Logic Pro X and the controller works! Every button works fine. I load many projects without any problem. That was last night. After that I shutdown the Mac for the night and the morning the problem is here again. Everything is just I describe previously. It works only for one night.

What can I do? Any ideas?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Euphonix Artist Control doesn't work on Logic Pro X :(

I have an MC Transport and have similar problems.

The only way I have found to reliably have the controller work with Logic is to do as follows each time I wish to use it with Logic.

Firstly make sure that EuControl is not able to autolaunch on startup.

Then go to Library>Scripts>Euphonix Scripts>Utils and run cleanEuphonixSystem.app.

Then launch EuControl manually, then launch Logic and finally start the MC Transport whilst holding down the 6th soft key (reset).

This works for me probably 8 out of 10 times. Otherwise, like you describe, Logic will show on the screen of the controller, but none of the commands are lit or available. If I open EuControl Settings and go to the Soft Keys panel and then the Softkeys or Wheel Section, the standard assignments are shown on the Key or Wheel diagrams, but if I look at the actual command associated to a button or wheel, it will show "null" as the command.

I assume the Application Sets are being corrupted somehow or not loaded properly.

Hope this helps in some way.
Euphonix MC Transport, Fw 1.1.6, EuControl 3.1.0.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:46 PM

Most helpful solution so far!

I try it twice, the first time works but the second fader (counting from left to right) doesn't move. I don't understand what you mean 6th soft button (reset), so I hold the first soft button (counting left to right) from the second row.

I noticed if you close the Logic Pro X and opened again the MC Control is dead again! So I close everything (Logic Pro X, EuControl, MC Control) and do the step again but this time I hold the 6th button (counting left to right) from second row of soft buttons. Now the project opens and everything works fine, all the faders works, soft buttons etc.)

I really thank you. This solution saves my 1400 euros purchase not to throw away.. or should I. It will be any official solution about this problem?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:56 PM

Glad it has helped.

The 6th soft key is the reset for the MC Transport. The reset for the Artist Control is probably something different.

As I said, I have to do this every time I want to use Logic. The unit or Logic or EuControl will not hold the settings otherwise.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:22 PM

I dont know what button is reset but it works with the button I use. I make a reboot and the first time I try it the MC Control was dead again. I try it for a second time and works! That probable was yours "8 to 10 times"

Also it needs to add the MC Control surface manually to My Surfaces but it doesn't matter.
It works!

The seller told me to disable App Nap (right click on EuControl icon -> Get Info -> check Disable App Nap), but it does help.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:57 PM

Yes I already have App Nap disabled on both Logic and Eucontrol.

I haven't had to add the control surface manually though. I assumed it is using Control Surface Group 1 in Logic.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 AM

After 2 days of use I notice that I don't need to hold down a soft button, only power button just to open. and the surface recognised automatically, no manual add needed.

The only remains the same is first to open the EuControl software, then the Logic Pro X and last the unit MC Control. Otherwise it doesn't work.

Also I have unchecked the option to open at start up for EuControl software but it opens every time I boot the iMac. If I keep it open and then open the Logic (and the unit), it doesn't work. I have to close the EuControl software, reopened and then open Logic etc. etc..
Old 02-03-2014, 04:32 PM

Have you stopped "auto-launch of EUCON Apps" in System Preferences>EUCON?

Also check System Preferences>Users & Groups>Login Items to make sure it's not in there?
Old 02-03-2014, 05:33 PM

Just a quick tip. If you're running mavericks install eucon 2.7.1. It's more reliable on the newer machines like retine mbp.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:39 PM

Ok, I'll try it out.