Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 AM

Default Please Help

Hello everyone. I hope that someone could shed some light on my problem. I have pro tools 10.3.2, Imac with mountain lion, and I am using an Apogee Ensemble. I have some hardware and was using it through a patch bay that I route through the ensemble.

I was using the hardware just fine until I opened up an older session. I have the session overwrite enabled and my I/O set up was gone. Then I couldn't get sound when I would use the hardware. I tried to go back to my previous I/O set up and that didn't work. I deleted everything and started over.....that didn't work. I rebooted my computer and interface, that didn't work.

SO, I see the input meter on the ensemble light up, but no sound. Then I start to unpatch the hardware...the input meter isn't lighting up. So, I know that I have it patched correctly.

So, I try the insert route in the I/O settings. I have the hardware patched in and out of the same I/O's TG1 in and out of 5 and 6, Pultec - in and out of 7, 1073 in and out of 8. When i try to use the hardware as inserts I get a message that says "the insert was made inactive because the output path is already in use"

I am so frustrated now I can't see straight.

It is probably something really simple. If someone could help me out with my problem I would much appreciate it.

Why I am not getting sound.

Why I am getting the error message.

And, yes I read the manual, searched the knowledge threads, did a search on the message boards, looked up hardware inserts on youtube, and searched google.

Thanks again for your time.

Dan
Apple Imac 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 4GB Ram, OSX 10.8.2, Apogee Ensemble, Pro Tools 10.3, CUBSE 6.5, API LUNCH BOX, CLASSIC API VP312, CLASSIC API VP26, Drip Electronics Pultec, Hairball Stereo 1176 revD, Audio Maintenance EZ1073, Adam A7X, WAVES PLUGINS, Slate Audio Plugins

Last edited by sdbrotastic; 11-26-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-26-2012, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Please Help

this may be a shot in the dark but maybe you can check under setup> "hardware" or the "playback engine" menus.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 AM

Thanks for the reply.

What would you have me look for?

under setup > hardware > I see the ensemble and it opens the Meastro program. Everything looks like it is routed correctly and the physical meters mirror the Meastro meters

under setup > playback engine >

Ensemble

H/W buffer size: 1024 samples
Host processors: 4 processors
CPU Usage Limit: 95%
Host Engine: nothing enabled
Delay Compensation: maximum
Plug-In Streaming Buffer size: Level 8
Optimizing for streaming content on audio drives is NOT clicked
Apple Imac 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 4GB Ram, OSX 10.8.2, Apogee Ensemble, Pro Tools 10.3, CUBSE 6.5, API LUNCH BOX, CLASSIC API VP312, CLASSIC API VP26, Drip Electronics Pultec, Hairball Stereo 1176 revD, Audio Maintenance EZ1073, Adam A7X, WAVES PLUGINS, Slate Audio Plugins
Old 11-26-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbrotastic View Post
Hello everyone. I hope that someone could shed some light on my problem. I have pro tools 10.3.2, Imac with mountain lion, and I am using an Apogee Ensemble. I have some hardware and was using it through a patch bay that I route through the ensemble.

I was using the hardware just fine until I opened up an older session. I have the session overwrite enabled and my I/O set up was gone. Then I couldn't get sound when I would use the hardware. I tried to go back to my previous I/O set up and that didn't work. I deleted everything and started over.....that didn't work. I rebooted my computer and interface, that didn't work.

SO, I see the input meter on the ensemble light up, but no sound. Then I start to unpatch the hardware...the input meter isn't lighting up. So, I know that I have it patched correctly.

So, I try the insert route in the I/O settings. I have the hardware patched in and out of the same I/O's TG1 in and out of 5 and 6, Pultec - in and out of 7, 1073 in and out of 8. When i try to use the hardware as inserts I get a message that says "the insert was made inactive because the output path is already in use"

I am so frustrated now I can't see straight.

It is probably something really simple. If someone could help me out with my problem I would much appreciate it.

Why I am not getting sound.

Why I am getting the error message.

And, yes I read the manual, searched the knowledge threads, did a search on the message boards, looked up hardware inserts on youtube, and searched google.

Thanks again for your time.

Dan

Hi,

Sounds like the loading of the old session has lost you all your I/O and hardware setup settings that you have been using recently.

Can you load a back up of the session or another recent session and with the session overwrite ticked in the I/o setup. This should get back your I/O setup.

If it still says the insert is already In use then check the I/0 page and see if the inputs and outputs assigned for your inserts are not also assigned to inputs/outputs on the separate pages for inputs outputs etc.

With that done you have to make sure the hardware setup is correct? So the appropriate inputs and outputs are assigned to analogue ins/outs as needed for your hardware.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 AM

Thanks for both of the posts.

I don't know if pro tools is just being finicky, but I unclicked the box (disabled) on all the ouputs, inputs and the busses......then I clicked them again (enabled) and now it works.

UUUUUGGGGHHHHH, I have spent hours rechecking the patching, the routing and all my gear. Damn you pro tools ......you cold hearted mistress
Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 AM

Damn it, now I am only getting the error on my comp, which is O/I 5 and 6. I don't know what to do now....hahahaha.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 AM

This is what I would try and maybe it will help your situation...

Id trash the Pro Tools prefs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj2fJHOz8GA

Then when I launch Pro Tools I would hold down the N key... When your playback engine window pops up make sure you have the correct device selected (If you had been selected on the Ensemble do that again, or If you set up a Pro Tools Aggregate setup and were using that select that as the device).

If you still get the error, than go into your i/O setup, delete all your current paths and then hit the "Default" button, this should reset the I/O to the original manufacturer preset.

Then try again. Yes I would always leave the box that says "Over write existing I/O" unchecked unless you switch from one I/O setup to another depending on your workflow.

If it still persists... Then I would wipe protools and do a fresh install...

Good Luck
Old 11-26-2012, 11:59 AM

Here is a how too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rjk5qVFEE8
Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM

You mention that you have these on the insert page of I/O Setup. If that is the case then I believe you'll need to make sure that the corresponding hardware outputs are not being mapped to an output buss on the bus page.

Use of the insert page is not something that comes up a lot in my workflows so forgive me if I'm less than specific but:

Inputs page
Have only inputs listed that aren't connected to your 'insert devices' If you have 6 inputs and 5-6 are connected to the insert devices then you should only have 1-4 listed on this page.

Outputs
Have only outputs listed that aren't connected to your 'insert devices' If you have 6 outputs and 5-6 are connected to the insert devices then you should only have 1-4 listed on this page.

Bus page
I'd start by clearing EVERYTHING out of the page and then selecting Output busses and hitting the Default button, then manually adding say 64 Stereo busses.

Insert page
Set up devices as you desire ensuring they are not overlapping with output paths.

This should result in the appropriate configuration. Hope this helps.

C
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 11-26-2012, 12:22 PM

If you can't get any sound on an old session. try to check and make sure that you control panel bit depth and sample rate are the same as in the hardware engine in the session. I could be wrong, but it can't hurt to check.