Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack II or Expansion Pack II ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
I also agree that the competitors are starting to look good in their operations and frequency of updates...but when you compare the raw tones, I think Eleven Rack still sounds the best out of anything in or below its price range.
The problem is that the direct competitor (the POD HD Pro) is much, much better than people realise. When the HD500 came out, I did a direct comparison with my 11R and found it wanting. I've since had another go with the HD500 with all the updates, and it's at least on a par with the 11R.

That actually upsets me, because of how much time and mindshare I invested in the 11R. It could've been so much more, and the expectation with digital products these days is that they grow substantially in the first couple of years - that's true of all the Line6, Fractal and Kemper product lines. I had hoped that the 11R could do the same; it's actually quite sad that it didn't.

I do wonder if anybody will be able to hack it and come up with some great new firmware which does everything we want. A lot of the routing problems could be relatively easily solved, the standalone editor would be almost trivial with a bit of knowledge, and IRs should be pretty simple with all of the code out there too.

Yeah...wishful thinking. In the meantime, I've ditched all the modelling stuff for now and acquired an endorsement with a company who make amazing amps. I still reckon modelling (or at least solid state amplification) is the future; at this point, though, I've taken a step back to 1950s technology
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM

I had an HD500 when it first came out too, and it just didn't do it for me. I know Line 6 has been good with semi-consistent updates, with good useful additions. It's entirely possible that those updates has brought the HD line up to 'par' but I have zero experience with the fully updated units. Additionally most of what I hear being put out using the updated HD stuff (youtube vids, user clips on forums, etc) still isn't really up to snuff IMO. Clips featuring a single guitar sound okay, but the full mixes I've heard just don't do it for me, yet.

I'm not sold on the signal chain methodology on the HD either. Very easy to run out of cpu juice quickly, Amp and Cab are stuck together as on the 11r, not to mention weird configurations for EQ's (in % instead of Hz and dB), etc. It almost goes without saying, but 11r also has a far better recording interface. The Mic pre, the dedicated I/O for a DI track, etc.

Let me assure you, I'm equally frustrated with you in regard to time/mindshare spent, along with lack of proper open communication from Avid, etc. The unit itself has such potential; it sounds great, the UI is excellent, the I/O is pretty good. We just need some attention paid to the details we've been screaming about for the past 2+ years, that have garnered so much attention on ideascale and so much discussion on this and other forums.

As far as the 'hack', it would be unfortunate if thats what it came down to. There's little doubt in my mind that the guys behind the coding don't have anything new and interesting on their personal/test units. All everyone needs is the go-ahead from Avid to just move the product along, but it seems it has fallen by the wayside among all their other priorities.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:34 AM

Dual amp's would do the trick,at least for a start.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM

There are plenty of things I'd put on the list before dual amps...assuming the DSP could even handle it...
Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 AM

Holding onto mine in hopes of something to be announced at NAMM. If nothing comes, I'm probably going to sell it. Value will likely drop off a cliff if nothing is announced so maybe it'll be silly to sell it. Bummer.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 AM

Just thought I'd re-vibe this thread and see if anyone has any further input.

I have been enjoying my 11R live and in the studio for almost 2 years. The tone is fabulous and coming from boutique valve amps and a G-System I can happily say that I am converted back (used to use a POD HD) to modeling.

I read all to often the frustrations that fellow users are having with the 11r.
A stand alone editor is one of the main issues. This is not such a big one for me as I use the unit in conjunction with PT most of the time in the studio and when practicing. If not recording or playing with a session I just don't open a PT session and in essence have the 11R editor open by it's self (almost stand alone).

My main bugbears are:
  • Global EQ (currently eat up one FX block with PARA EQ in last position for my monitoring)
  • Limited FX Blocks (relates to above and below)
  • Lack of certain FX (envelope filter/auto wah, harmoniser/whammy)
  • 2 way midi communication to allow full use of control devices

I AM ALSO ABSOLUTELY ASTONISHED AT AVID'S COMPLETE SILENCE ON QUESTIONS FROM IT'S CUSTOMERS

While I am reasonably happy with the results I am achieving with the 11R there are certainly things that would be far more efficient with the AXE FX II.
I would really like there to be a new Expansion Pack that would address some of the issues everyone has discussed.

... or is it just tumble weeds
Mac Pro 2,1 Dual Quad Core 3GHz 18 GB RAM
OSX 10.9 Maverick's
3 x 1TB SATA 1 x 250 GB SATA (Seagate)
PT 12.6.1 HD
MC MIX
RME UFX, Ferrofish A16 AE
MIDAS Venice 320
--------------------
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S. Thompson
Old 07-16-2013, 04:19 AM

The Eleven Rack is still the best (sub 1K) bit of kit a guitarist can own. Avid have lost loads of customers over the past 12 months so they really need to do something quick.
So Mr Avid pull your finger out of your ass and get to work! It’s not hard
Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscokid View Post
Avid have lost loads of customers over the past 12 months
-1 here

I read plenty of "Avid is evil" posts when I bought my 11R. I won't go so far as to call them "evil", but let's just say I understand a lot more about what I read after becoming one of Avid's customers.

They would have to come up with a mind blowing product to get me to consider them again. And even then I would approach with trepidation.

And it's not just me pissing and moaning about the declining cost of the box or lack of updates. I'm pissed how they managed to let good people leave their company: Sean, Chris, Hiro - the good people that brought us 11R in the first place.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I bet we get another Expansion Pack eventually, and hopefully some of those bug fixes.
2 years and 4 months after the last one, I highly doubt it

But I hope that you are right!!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:55 AM

[QUOTE=ofp;1943069]Hi all,

What do you think is most likely in the near future ?
A new hardware (an 11R II) or a second Expansion Rack for the current hardware ?

Of course if people from Avid want to give us some clues.... :)

Neither. The many clues we have from Avid lead me to believe that silence is indeed....... Deafening
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2