Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2019, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
IDK some of the newer plugs are really processor hungry.

Moreover, since when are VI’s related to home users and semi pro’s. Then Hans Zimmer would be quite a home recording artist with his amount of VI usage in preproduction (and mix!) process hahaha

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
Moreover, since when are VI’s related to home users and semi pro’s. Then Hans Zimmer would be quite a home recording artist with his amount of VI usage in preproduction (and mix!) process hahaha
^This^

Crossgraded to Cubase 10, and it's been eye opening. There's a lot to like for the heavy VI user, and a price drop for Nuendo 10 has me seriously looking at that as well. I can see both Pro Tools and Nuendo in my future.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X

Last edited by grayter1; 04-29-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
^This^

Crossgraded to Cubase 10, and it's been eye opening. There's a lot to like for the heavy VI user, and a price drop for Nuendo 10 has me seriously looking at that as well. I can see both Pro Tools and Nuendo in my future.

tg
I was using Logic as I'm a Mac user when i recorded my first and only album (2010 timeframe). I bought into the PTs ecosystem (circa 2011) because I knew that the album would be mixed at a professional studio that used PTs. So I got a TDM 3 system with the Omni and moved all the stems over to PTs for the mixing. Once I started using PTs I was amazed by the almost zero latency, something I couldn't get with the apogee firewire interface I was using. Not to mention the incredible AD/DA conversion that the Omni offered at the time. What I wasn't impressed by was how inefficient PTs was at running/processing VIs. I could run VIs all day on Logic without maxing out my Mac Pro Cheese Grater. Not so with PTs...I was so unimpressed.

The pro that prepped the tracks for the producer that mixed the album was a die hard PTs guy, but he did admit that for VI use (which they didn't use in the studio) Logic was better. Since then, I stayed with PTs, upgrading to 9-12 and now 2018.12. I recorded about 40 or so tracks over the last 8 years and just accepted the fact that I would never get to use VIs the way I used to in Logic. The near zero latency was the reason I stuck with PTs and upgraded to the HDX.

In 2013, I bought an Apollo silver and upgraded to the TB2 card, but my computer (upgraded to an iMac in 2013) was a TB 1 so I never got the full advantage of TB2. HDX was still better at handling latency when recording audio. Fast forward 8 years, and now I have an iMac Pro that has TB3 and an upgraded TB3 card for the Apollo. That was/is a game changer. I can get the same near zero latency that I can get with the HDX system. I've moved back to Logic till PTs 2019.5 comes out and the first thing I realized was WOW, Logic really is efficient at using VIs. Now with TB3 through an Apollo, what advantage does PTs have anymore? So for me to switch back to PTs full time when 2019.5 comes out will depend heavily on how efficiently the updated software runs VIs.

I'm going to do an A/B test. If PTs can't go head to head with Logic then the decision is simple. If and when I decide to release a follow up album, and if the studio I choose uses PTs, I can always get the stems from Logic into PTs. Most of the tracks are already in PTs so the rework won't be that bad. I'll stick with PTs even if it isn't my main DAW anymore, but not sure I'll be keeping up with my subscription. That will depend on whether Avid gets their act together and releases updates in a more timely manner. Not to mention the updates have to have meaningful upgrades. I'm not impressed with anything they've announced for 2019.5. I'm hoping the doubled midi count means they revamped their software to handle midi/VIs efficiently so we can actually run more VIs.

Bottom line is there are so many more options today to get the same ability and more that only used to be available if you had a PTs rig.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman

Last edited by jasonkalman; 04-29-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkalman View Post
I'm holding hope that 2019.5 is the answer to all our problems.
While I hope so too, I have - to quote Star Wars - a bad feeling about this. A release that has been delayed this long with what could be some core functionality changes is as likely to be a train wreck on release. They must surely be as desperate as we are to get the damn thing out the door, but that raises the chances of unsquished bugs.

So many issues come down to the bottomless variety in user rigs. The chances of the beta team trying 2019.5 on them all and having no problems are pretty low. But maybe this release will prove to be an acid test for Avid. If it arrives fully formed, solid as a rock with a myriad of long standing issues fixed, it might be reasonable to conclude that they really have put stability first, and while the delay has been frustrating it was all for the best. I just won’t be the first to find out.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-30-2019, 08:17 AM

Breaking news!! Avid has added a subscription to Goove 3 as a loyalty reward. I suppose that's to make it easier to learn another DAW. How nice of them!
Old 04-30-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
Breaking news!! Avid has added a subscription to Goove 3 as a loyalty reward. I suppose that's to make it easier to learn another DAW. How nice of them!
Nothing less than 3 free tutorials for us right there!

Which three will it be...

- How to choose the right DAW

- Popular workarounds for Pro Tools

- How to downgrade you Operating system
Old 04-30-2019, 09:56 AM

Lol...the F is Groove 3?

And why is Avid trying to push all these beginning basic free tools to their users while at the same time dropping all the entry level hardware and focusing on professional lines like the S6 and MTRX?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 04-30-2019, 10:22 AM

They are all videos for beginners on how to learn eq, reverb, compression, etc, the only interesting thing is a couple of the books which you have to read online... The other loyalty reward is 5 Puremix videos, again, not the big titles.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:24 AM

Sit down at Skywalker Sound scoring stage control room. Pull up chrome tab with groove3. "How to record an orchestra"?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Lol...the F is Groove 3?

And why is Avid trying to push all these beginning basic free tools to their users while at the same time dropping all the entry level hardware and focusing on professional lines like the S6 and MTRX?
A deal like this isn't about Avid's thinking. It's about Groove 3 approaching Avid with something which is a marketing opportunity for them.

And my thinking is that Avid has given up on the 'entry level' hardware because that arena is best left to the third party manufacturers, who as a group Avid would never be able to keep up with.
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike