Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-22-2015, 12:39 AM

Default Offline bounce crash, probably Waves-related, and offline bounce not 100% correct

So as per title, anyone else have this? Offline bounce seems to work ok until I insert *one* Waves plugin in to the session, then PT crashes. Even with only 1 stereo audio track. I have the newest Waves versions, Platinum and SSL Soundgrid license (but using just the Native versions).

And on that note, even when offline bounce works it does *not* always work 100%. I have a quite complex master setup on some of my mixes including a processing 2buss with McDSP, Slate, Massey etc and a parallel chain of DUY's DaD Tape (one aux with plugin, one without) after that, if I try offline bouncing that (without any Waves) I get a level difference in the result. I'm thinking it could be the DUY chain as that's the most "esoteric" in my setup, but the fact is that Avid doesn't have it 100% right (unless it's DUY, Slate, McDSP, Massey or someone else bugging out in offline).

Anyone else have these problems with Waves (or anything) crashing offline bounce or offline bounce not being 100% faithful to the mixer?
Windows 11 23H2, Intel i9-14900KS, MSI PRO Z690-A D4, 64 GB DDR4 4000MHz/CL18, Corsair HX1000, 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0, 5TB M.2 PCIe 3.0, 2TB QVO, 2x6TB WD Black, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Design Define R6 + RTX4070 - PT Ultimate 2024.3

Used to be/ Spare/ DAPS: Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 3,46Ghz 12 Core, 96GB RAM, OS SSD and Sata3 Audio SSD, macOS Mojave, PT Ultimate 2021.10, DAPS 3.7.1

HDX2, MTRX Studio & DAD MOM, HD I/O 16x16, Apogee AD/DA 16X/X-HD and ICON D-Command ES.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Offline bounce crash, probably Waves-related, and offline bounce not 100% correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwaidu View Post
So as per title, anyone else have this? Offline bounce seems to work ok until I insert *one* Waves plugin in to the session, then PT crashes. Even with only 1 stereo audio track. I have the newest Waves versions, Platinum and SSL Soundgrid license (but using just the Native versions).

And on that note, even when offline bounce works it does *not* always work 100%. I have a quite complex master setup on some of my mixes including a processing 2buss with McDSP, Slate, Massey etc and a parallel chain of DUY's DaD Tape (one aux with plugin, one without) after that, if I try offline bouncing that (without any Waves) I get a level difference in the result. I'm thinking it could be the DUY chain as that's the most "esoteric" in my setup, but the fact is that Avid doesn't have it 100% right (unless it's DUY, Slate, McDSP, Massey or someone else bugging out in offline).

Anyone else have these problems with Waves (or anything) crashing offline bounce or offline bounce not being 100% faithful to the mixer?
Hi,

Disable the plugins as mentioned above on the mix busses and test to see if it's working ok, it should be. Re-enable plugins one at a time and see if/when problem returns.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Offline bounce crash, probably Waves-related, and offline bounce not 100% correct

I have found sessions without Waves run much smoother than the ones with Waves so it might be related.

But with that said, I normally don't do offline bounce because I want to listen to the bounce while it's being done (quality control) and it's actually faster because if I find something disturbing along the way I can just stop it and fix it. I need to listen to it some time anyway, so the offline bounce is just extra step that takes extra time. Just my thoughts, anyway.

There are also some other 3rd party plugs that make the system unstable, so I only move those to the plugin folder when I really need them.

AAX is still very new format so it'll take some time for plugin vendors to really debug them properly.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:55 PM

If you send me a session in question I can check it out for you - using nearly exclusively Waves plugins here without any issues.

I'm thinking something else is amiss... perhaps version #'s, etc...

For good measure, you could trash Waves prefs/cache and see if that helps.

Again, no issues with Waves here, and our sessions are loaded with them

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB