Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-25-2011, 05:51 AM

Default Future prices for Native and DSP AAX plugins

There used to be a big price difference between RTAS (native) and TDM (dsp) based plugins (and still is with some developers). As was often explained this is due to the complexity, time and costs involved in developing for the HD dsp chips. UAD plugins are developed for DSP chips and they aren't the cheapest either – nor the most expensive ones to be honest – but they are in average more expensive than native plugins. Whether that's because you pay for the UAD name or because they're developed for DSP cards I don't know.

What I'm really wondering is that when RTAS and TDM will start to disappear, will the Native AAX prices in the near future be more expensive than their legacy RTAS equivalent or worse just as expensive as the TDM equivalent? Or will prices stay roughly the same and we'll see free or small fee updates?

Now both Native and DSP AAX versions can probably be developed as one after which developers only need to compile the plugins separately for the target chip (native or the new HDX FPGA DSP chip).

So will we need to pay large upgrade prices for the new AAX plugins being developed or won't it be that bad? Will AAX plugins be more expensive on average than their RTAS counterpart? If that's true than it could potentially slow down adoption of the AAX Native format and Avid might see users deflecting to DAW's that conform to the cheaper to develop VST or AU formats. Who knows maybe it's the other way round and we'll see AAX plugins for the HDX cards become as cheap as RTAS plugins used to be due to new and optimized development workflows.

It's all speculative of course from my side because I haven't seen any prices yet for upgrades or new to be released AAX plugins.

Is there anyone with more insight?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Future prices for Native and DSP AAX plugins

This is a very relevant question and slightly touches on my concerns as well. I am thinking of not only the cost of upgrading to PT10 sometime in the future, but also how much it will cost to get Komplete in AAX format, my waves plugs, other VI's and processors.

I do not recall Avid mentioning how long RTAS will be supported, can someone chime in?

Have a great day everyone.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 AM

Oh, RTAS will not be supported in the 64-bit Pro Tools (PT 11 if you will). That's what Avid made clear. So whenever the 64-bit version comes out and you want to update, you better make sure all of your favorite plugins are available in AAX format. I believe that every developer will support AAX though when the new 64-bit PT is released.

Whether AAX format plugins will be more expensive and AAX Native vs AAX dsp will have a big price gap is still a mystery.

Some developers have already released AAX format plugins like Blue Cat. Their prices are the same if I'm not mistaken. And I haven't read anything about upgrade prices for the new AAX Sonnox plugins that will be released when PT HDX is released. That gives a man hope ;-)
Old 10-25-2011, 09:24 AM

There are a couple of issues that come to mind when thinking about prices for AAX: first, will plug-in makers charge an extra upgrade fee for conversion of current plug-ins to AAX; and second will AAX Native and AAX DSP come together in one package at one price, or will a tiered price structure be put in place, similar to RTAS and TDM?

I have seen several posts lamenting the fact that there will be an enormous cost to upgrade current plug-ins to AAX. I think it's premature to think this, and in my opinion, it's unlikely that any upgrade cost would be exorbitant. McDSP, for example, has indicated that there will be no fee to upgrade to AAX for those who already own their latest version. Also, I see no reason why Waves would charge anything beyond the standard WUP fee that they already have in place. Their policy states that updates and upgrades are included in this fee. I would expect other plug-in makers to have similar policies: either no fee, or a modest upgrade fee.

Initially there was some thought that AAX plug-ins would automatically run Native or DSP depending on where the Pro Tools user assigned the plug-ins, with no special programming considerations by the developers. It appears that this is not the case. Plug-in developers have to specifically code different versions of AAX plug-ins (Native or DSP). This leaves open the possibility that there could be an extra charge for the DSP versions of AAX. Developers will need to purchase hardware for compiling and testing the DSP versions, and they could theoretically justify passing on an extra fee to AAX DSP users to recoup these investments in hardware. It's also possible that some developers will choose not to invest in the hardware necessary for DSP versions and instead release Native only versions. I hope that this is not the case. I hope that all AAX plug-ins come in one package at one price and that they will all run as either Native or DSP. Am I hoping for too much? :)
Old 10-26-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairl View Post
... Plug-in developers have to specifically code different versions of AAX plug-ins (Native or DSP). This leaves open the possibility that there could be an extra charge for the DSP versions of AAX. ...
I Was under the impression that Avid has developed an SDK that allows developers to program their plugin once and then compile it either for Native or for DSP cards. And when PT becomes 64-bit compatible they also need minor tweaking and a recompile to make it 64-bit compatible. I believe that's the whole reason the AAX format is developed.

Although a computer processor is totally different from a DSP chip, they might have build a shell for their SDK with API's that cater for both processors. But maybe I'm only correct about the 64-bit part. I'd definitely like to know for sure.

Can DTS confirm or contradict this?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:49 AM

Of course it's premature to tell anything, but in my opinion, there won't be real price difference.
I understand that tdm has it's quirks, so from a developer standpoint it is fair to ask more for that version of the plugin. But -as I understand it- AAX will make this distintion vanish. So, I buy x plugin, and if I have a computer (native) I can use it, then at some point I decide to buy hdx, so now the very same plugin is able to use my dsp.
At least this is how I see it, but of course, I can easily be wrong.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 AM

Do you see any developers making AAX DSP only plug-ins with no native version? Revibe was TDM only but it seems that AAX native and AAX DSP are so similar that it would be a strange move to make a DSP only version of a plugin.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:00 AM

Plugin companies are not really telling us anything. It is obvious that almost every of them will support AAX, but the big question is: When? And at what price?

Of course it will be interesting to see if the plugin companies differentiate the dsp capable aax or not? We'll see. But to be honest, with this unified format, it will be harder to explain the price difference as they have to deal with only one development process.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchase View Post
Do you see any developers making AAX DSP only plug-ins with no native version? Revibe was TDM only but it seems that AAX native and AAX DSP are so similar that it would be a strange move to make a DSP only version of a plugin.
Yeah, I believe (hope) that will be the case.

As said McDSP have announced that the updates for the AAX versions will be free so I hope other developers follow the same route or maybe a small update fee.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:50 AM

I can't see any logical reason to make a AAX DSP only plug unless using DSP is the only way to make the plug work. Why go through all the extra trouble and expense and them not port it to the other 95% of your market? Remember its easier to code and compile it for x86.

During the transition phase its entirely possible that some developers will release native AAX plugs firstand the DSP versions a short time later.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88