Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 05-02-2008, 04:36 AM

Default A CRAZY, CRAZY MOMENT WITH MY C24

Last night in the middle of an overdub session which was running perfectly, we took a smoke break and went outside to the patio.

When we returned 20 minutes later, the C24 would not speak to ProTools whatsoever. Move a fader, punch a button---any of them!---and nothing nothing!! happened. Yet, ProTools responded perfectly to the keyboard---ProTools was working fine---and when the program was running the preamp section and monitor sections of the C24 showed movement.

But the buttons and faders were all dead.

I closed that session and opened another that had been working fine earlier. When the new session opened, all the starting positions for the faders and buttons set themselves up on the C24 as normal, but the no button or fader would respond in any way whatsoever.

I shut everything down, sent everyone home for the night and went upstairs and took a sleeping pill.

This morning, I got up at 5AM and did a careful restart. Everything was fine.

What happened???? This almost gave me another heart attack. Can I expect this sort of behavior from ProTools and the C24 every now and then? I'm a recent convert from the analogue (old fart's) world, and I'm not used to this.

Can anybody shed some light on what happened???

Thanks,
ssssssssteve in Dallas

[email protected]
Old 05-02-2008, 05:21 AM

Default Re: A CRAZY, CRAZY MOMENT WITH MY C24

I can't tell you what happened, but I'll tell you that two Digidesign control surfaces have given me somewhat similar odd experience. One time a fader not working (and staying completely down), another time two or three faders about 4dB too low. I don't remember what caused it the first time, but the second this was that something layed on the board while the faders "shot up" and whatever lied there caused a little interference on the faders way up.

The good news: Both issues were solved by just restarting the surface.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:30 AM

I don't know why it does that, but I can confirm that I have seen that happen before.
The solution was to close pro tools, power down the computer and interfaces, then the C|24.

Then power everything back up, which then worked instantly.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:29 PM

I work on a Control 24 everyday and these things happen quite often. I would say once every 3 days the control 24 gets a little wacky.

Rebooting always solves the problem, and deleting the Pro Tools preferences file also seems to help.

The Control 24 tends to goes crazy when I am running a large session and using a lot of CPU power on a dual G5 mac.

I think it's mostly from my computer being over worked and messing up on the Ethernet side of things.

Overall I am still very happy with the performance. Rebooting is always way easier than getting behind the rack with a flashlight!
Old 05-26-2008, 02:59 PM

on what computer? Do you use a seperate Ethernet connection? Then it should work fine.