Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-10-2021, 07:38 AM

Default Midi 'ghost notes'

If I look in MidiEditor after I have recorded a midi track, then under each note is another small note.
(please see image, I have dragged the 'real' notes down to reveal the small unwanted notes beneath them).
I have tried using 3 different brands of keyboards as source, but the problem is the same. How do I prevent this?
Setup: Win10, Protools 12, Focusrite interface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ghostnotes.jpg (3.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-10-2021, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Midi 'ghost notes'

I've seen this when I had a keyboard that was connected in both directions(MIDI from the keyboard, into PT and MIDI from PT back to the keyboard). Unplugging the return solved that one. Next, look at the track you are recording onto and see if it is feeding midi out, and change that assignment to a VI plugin(it may be defaulting to ALL for both midi IN and OUT)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-10-2021, 12:37 PM

Select all midi notes,
then "remove duplicate notes"
from the pull-down...
Old 01-11-2021, 12:53 PM

I have only got midi out connected to the keyboard.

Thanks for pointing me to Event / Remove Duplicate Notes, that does make it easier than moving every single note, and delete the one behind.

But I would still like to find the nature of the problem, and how to prevent it from happening.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:18 AM

Hi,

I recently bought a Fishman TriplePlay MIDI guitar pickup (which is now discontinued) and upon testing encountered those tiny MIDI notes behind almost all the correct sized notes. Pro Tools is my DAW of choice but decided to test this PU in my other DAWS, Logic and Live. Both did NOT have that problem. Long story short, this MIDI PU shows up in Pro Tools as 2 separate devices and I believe they're both being recorded at the same time and one is basically canceling the other resulting in those micro notes.

So I found two possible ways to solve this:

1: Menu->Setup->MIDI->Input Devices ->>> deselected one of the (in my case Fishman TriplePlay) devices.

2: The MIDI Instrument Input Selector on MIDI/INSTRUMENT Tracks by default is set to 'All'. Change that to the specific MIDI device being used. Or at least choose one of the possible two that are available for the same device.

I still ghost notes when I record but they're easily identifiable, selectable and deletable and I haven't seen any notes hidden under others yet either!

Hope that helps!